The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer to Read Mirage?
Black and White 23 85.19%
Colorized 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

How Do You Prefer To Read Mirage?

Do you prefer to read the original Mirage comics... in Black & White or Color?

Me personally, I think the colorized stuff is gorgeous but I prefer the Black and White look as it adds to the mood of the book.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Today you get to be alive - rock the gift of having another day above ground! Get buck wild and just rock it! Because tomorrow? You just never know!"

-- Judith Hoag, April O'neil
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Well first off which colored version are you talking about? There are multiple.

Ultimately though I have to go with Black and White. That's how most of those comics were printed and intended to be read. There's a clear difference between something like TMNT that was always meant to be without color and something like a Marvel essentials reprint which is just inks without the coloring. Note the greyscale.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

Ultimately though I have to go with Black and White. That's how most of those comics were printed and intended to be read. There's a clear difference between something like TMNT that was always meant to be without color and something like a Marvel essentials reprint which is just inks without the coloring. Note the greyscale.

Yeah, those are great pics, but I was just meaning color in general. I know that various reprints have used different coloring methods/types but just in general... color or B&W?

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Today you get to be alive - rock the gift of having another day above ground! Get buck wild and just rock it! Because tomorrow? You just never know!"

Old 06-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Mirage TMNT is a good enough example of a black and white comic book "done right", but I can't say it will ever be my preference. I can deal with it, but I'd generally prefer to look at things in color if it's an option.

They did a lot with the style choices they had to work with, but I'm not romantic about the whole "We gots no money" angle which precluded such decisions in the first place. They ultimately were not going for any sort of "style" so much as they were trying to save money on printing. They did well within the limitations, though. I just don't think it's mandatory or necessary for getting "the full experience".

That said, I still end up reading my B&W single issues anyway, when I bother to go back to it, simply because I'm cheap and lazy and not inclined to buy a bunch of color reprints even though they exist and my eyes prefer it that way. I honestly don't go back to them enough to make it worth the hassle of "upgrading", and my wife doesn't care about Mirage much anyway. So even if color is my "preference" I generally end up reading the books in B&W. Goofy, I know.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 AM   #5
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Mirage TMNT is a good enough example of a black and white comic book "done right", but I can't say it will ever be my preference. I can deal with it, but I'd generally prefer to look at things in color if it's an option.

They did a lot with the style choices they had to work with, but I'm not romantic about the whole "We gots no money" angle which precluded such decisions in the first place. They ultimately were not going for any sort of "style" so much as they were trying to save money on printing. They did well within the limitations, though. I just don't think it's mandatory or necessary for getting "the full experience".

That said, I still end up reading my B&W single issues anyway, when I bother to go back to it, simply because I'm cheap and lazy and not inclined to buy a bunch of color reprints even though they exist and my eyes prefer it that way. I honestly don't go back to them enough to make it worth the hassle of "upgrading", and my wife doesn't care about Mirage much anyway. So even if color is my "preference" I generally end up reading the books in B&W. Goofy, I know.
Nope. Not goofy aft all. The $$$ factor aside, not being inclined to read them very often is enough of a reason to stick with what you have. At one point I had all of Mirage TMNT Vol. 1, 2, and what was published of 4 and all of the Tales issues in medium to excellent quality .PDF scans. I read through everything and decided that the only stuff I would ever go back to was Vol. 1 and Tales Vol. 1 and all of the micros. So, I deleted the rest. I found Vol. 2 and 4 to be not very good and Tales vol. 2 wasn't very good either. A lot of the "guest era" got deleted too. So, I've NEVER actually owned any physical Mirage stuff but I do have some .PDFs and what I kept I love.

Mirage is great when it's great. But a lot of it sucks, especially the guest era. That said, THE RIVER 3 part story (Vol. 1 24-26) is my favorite guest story of all of them.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
AquaParade
Big Boss

The River is a classic in my eyes. It's a very strange, almost dream-like story to me.

As for coloring, I loved the way Mirage Studios colored their stories, but I'll take black and white over the IDW coloring of Mirage. So it depends.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Sharman
Foot Soldier

I prefer to read them as originally published, be it in B&W as per volume 1 or color as per volume 2.

Whilst the coloring of some of the B&W can be interesting, it often masks what I enjoy so much about the original series i.e the grit and the depth that the duo-board work manifested. I was glad that IDW republished the B&W originals in the Ultimate Collection, although I wish they had done a 'complete' collection which included all TMNT comic material from Mirage - from the short stories through the the 'guest' issues - regardless of story/art quality. But that's the completist in me.

Some of the (re-)coloring has some strange choices, too - IDW's coloring of The Shredder was not clever and a bit shoddy, though they did some lovely work elsewhere.

I have to say that, as a general rule, the re-coloring of books originally published in color leaves a lot to be desired: the way DC and Marvel approached their classic ranges tended to be really quite garish and unsympathetic and in those cases I might just prefer to see the black and white line art alone.
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
I prefer to read them as originally published, be it in B&W as per volume 1 or color as per volume 2.

Whilst the coloring of some of the B&W can be interesting, it often masks what I enjoy so much about the original series i.e the grit and the depth that the duo-board work manifested. I was glad that IDW republished the B&W originals in the Ultimate Collection, although I wish they had done a 'complete' collection which included all TMNT comic material from Mirage - from the short stories through the the 'guest' issues - regardless of story/art quality. But that's the completist in me.

Some of the (re-)coloring has some strange choices, too - IDW's coloring of The Shredder was not clever and a bit shoddy, though they did some lovely work elsewhere.

I have to say that, as a general rule, the re-coloring of books originally published in color leaves a lot to be desired: the way DC and Marvel approached their classic ranges tended to be really quite garish and unsympathetic and in those cases I might just prefer to see the black and white line art alone.
I agree with a lot of this here. As a veteran collector and comics fan, I think reprints in trade or hardcover have little or NO excuse (especially these days with current printing technologies) to deliver anything less than great. Not everything has to be perfect, especially when you're touching up or reprinting very old comics, but a lot of stuff that's either re-colored or printed in color for the first time often leaves a lot to be desired.

TMNT's Mirage duo-shade, duo-tone (whatever you wanna call it) is abandoned when coloring happens and as a result the grit and atmosphere kinda changes. That said, the colored Mirage stuff is pretty but its not the same. There are also a lot of comics fans who CANNOT abide B&W art. It's very often hard to make out for a lot of folks.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 06-08-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Also I just noticed a huge coloring mistake in the pic I posted. If you look closely at the black and white, you can clearly see that Zog's suit has large potions of his suit torn and even if it was intac it wouldn't cover his hands and feet. His hands, feet and left bicep should be exposed but they're colored in like the suit's intact.

God, I just intended to show off how greyscale and detail pop when a page uses B&W to it's advantage, I didn't realise the colored version is a total ****-up as well.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Also I just noticed a huge coloring mistake in the pic I posted. If you look closely at the black and white, you can clearly see that Zog's suit has large potions of his suit torn and even if it was intac it wouldn't cover his hands and feet. His hands, feet and left bicep should be exposed but they're colored in like the suit's intact.

God, I just intended to show off how greyscale and detail pop when a page uses B&W to it's advantage, I didn't realise the colored version is a total ****-up as well.
The same thing happened with IDW's coloring of The Shredder where they colored his arms and hands purple (as though completely covered) despite the fact that fingernails are clearly visible. That and The Shredder should be in RED not Purple! haha
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
Galactus
Mad Scientist

Black and white I guess and I love the early shading in the Mirage books but the main thing keeping my preference for that is that none of the colour reprints have quite gotten it right.

The colour job on the IDW reprints is slick but then they get a bizarre choice like Shredder being coloured black/purple including his bare arms or the colour coding of the Shredder monsters in RTNY which just ruins it. I wouldn't mind but this isn't something which was never portrayed in colour so they had to make it up and I appreciate the team may have wanted to take some creative liberties but those are weird choices.

Strangely the Image books have the best colour job I've seen on TMNT books. Everything is slick and how it was intended to be. The early issues improve drastically with colour.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
DrSolarMOTA
Random Punk

While I was first introduced to the Mirage comics through the series of First graphic novels, I prefer the B&W. I love what the Mirage crew was able to achieve with the duo-tone.
And just my two cents - IDW messed up the coloring so bad. Reading their color version absolutely destroys the reading experience. Whereas the First editions enhanced the art, IDW overpowered and destroyed it.

Look at these examples.

Issue 1:
Spoiler:

Mirage:

First:

IDW:

Issue 10:
Spoiler:

Mirage:

First:

IDW:

DrSolarMOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:18 AM   #13
hypered1
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSolarMOTA View Post
While I was first introduced to the Mirage comics through the series of First graphic novels, I prefer the B&W. I love what the Mirage crew was able to achieve with the duo-tone.
And just my two cents - IDW messed up the coloring so bad. Reading their color version absolutely destroys the reading experience. Whereas the First editions enhanced the art, IDW overpowered and destroyed it.

Look at these examples.

Issue 1:

Issue 10:
Yeah, I think I would prefer a version that's about midway between those two coloured versions. The first one looks a bit too bright and airy whilst the second almost looks like an extra bottle of black ink was spilt all over it.

Also what's with the shifted position of the dialogue on page 1's first coloured version?
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:21 AM   #14
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Yeah, I think I would prefer a version that's about midway between those two coloured versions. The first one looks a bit too bright and airy whilst the second almost looks like an extra bottle of black ink was spilt all over it.

Also what's with the shifted position of the dialogue on page 1's first coloured version?
My god. Those images made me realize... I don't think I've never seen the IDW colorings before. How garish. It's almost as if they're trying to preserve the B&W feel by coloring so darkly. It's more than just an ODD choice though... It's UGLY!

Old 06-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime

Black and white, purely because I've yet to see a good colourized edition. Everything is either washed out or too dark and murky
Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #16
The Turtle Terminator
Stone Warrior

Quote:

The colourised versions of Mirage feel like a different universe for some reason
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #17
Teddygaming reviews
Foot Soldier

i like to read the colour version because it looks nicer. i don't mind reading it in b&w, but to me it looks nicer in colour and also has a better visual for the series
Teddygaming reviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #18
oknazevad
Mouser

I personally feel they should be read in the form the original artist(s) intended them to be published while drawing them, as that intention affects choices made in the crafting of all aspects of the art. Drawing to be printed in black and white is different than drawing to be printed in color. Choices of page layout, shading, depth of field, all of it changes. Colorizing a B&W comic often results in muddy colors as the colors have to fight against the grey tones used to add depth and weight to B&W art, while printing art meant to be colored in B&W often results in a flat, difficult to distinguish page.

This is very clearly seen in the early issues of volume 3; the series was originally going to be in color, but was changed to black and white after the first couple of issues were drawn, resulting in some flat and muddled art Fosco adjusted much better after he knew it was going to be black and white, but even then the art still has a flatish quality about it.it wasn't until the Urban Legends reprints that the series actually looked as intended.

So, to that end, I prefer volumes 1 & 4 in B&W, and volumes 2 & 3 in color.
oknazevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

B&W. There was such an art to the detail of the duotone.

Colorized ones? Nothing against them, but I've never really seen consistently good colorized versions. There's always a ton of big mistakes
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #20
sdp
WeaR VeaR VR

Either but with colored bandannas on the turtles

PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote