The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #7541
AquaParade
Banned

Midsommar. Just came out a couple hours ago. I was never really scared, yet I was fascinated and disturbed. My initial viewing was quite askew, because the type of fear I felt in “Hereditary” and expected here, never quite came. It threw me off and I need to see it again.

This movie does something incredibly interesting with its comedy bits, on a meta level. It’s actually incredible...unless I’m reading way into it. Might need to see if anyone else has a similar feeling.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #7542
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Kung Fu Mama 4/6 , this grannie is no push over , heh
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #7543
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Loved it
Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #7544
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Lion King (2019)

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #7545
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Tried to watch Manos: the Hands of Fate. I just couldn't do it

Yet, it's not the worst film ever made...
Old 08-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #7546
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Get on up , a James Brown bio movie , its okay , 4.5/6

Interpetor , snooze fest with Kidman and Penn......missed last few mins but honestly i wouldve skipped it if i knew it was this dull , 3/6
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #7547
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

St. Agatha via Netflix. Not bad for a small, creepy movie.

8/19 -- There aren't too many I actually regret, but I regret Jupiter Ascending. Good lord.

Spoiler:
Still had a half hour left when I checked the time hoping it was soon ending. Actually kind of insulting to make a woman the primary character and then make her that useless and pointless. "Ascending"?? She didn't even develop or achieve a damn thing. She makes Megan Fox's April almost seem competent and of some importance, and that's saying something.

Thought there was hope when I saw the captain of the one ship was a woman. And...then like all the other women her limited time in the film was spent standing around saying a few lines. Doesn't help that they tried to make contrasts in scenes of women standing around quietly talking in ballgowns then jump to the action side of the film that was trying WAY too damn hard to be macho.

I should have just saved myself the boredom and annoyance and turned it off at the point early in the film that Jupiter and her cousin (probably mostly her cousin) out of nowhere have the idea that she should donate her eggs for "easy" money (as if donation is even easy?) and for about three seconds she asks HIM why HE'S going to get $10,000 of it and she's only getting $5,000. He laughs it off like hey that's capitalism or some such thing, walks away, and she's never bothered by this again. Just seems to wave it off and dream about spending it on a telescope. WTF. But why does she ALLOW it to begin with? What involvement could he EVEN possibly have in the process of egg donation that makes it reasonable for him to get ANY money at all, let alone ten grand??

Ugh, this movie.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-19-2019 at 09:20 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:57 AM   #7548
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Jigsaw:
Not bad, although a bit predictable but the gore was there and the traps was there.

Rewatched Saw VI and Saw 3D:
for some reason Netflix didn't have the original Saw, which I really wanted to rewatch after seeing Jigsaw, but only had VI and 3D. I enjoy both of them and they're pretty similar with having a main tester trying to save other people with twists and turns.

47 Ronin:
It's decent, but it does feel stretched and it's not due to the amount of characters in the movie.

Kingsman: The Secret Service
Pretty solid movie. I really enjoyed he humor and the action was fantastic, I really want a Kingsman John Wick crossover

Shaft 2019:
It's a fun movie, but I feel the action scenes could have been amped up to balance the more comedic feel the move have, or maybe that's just me with Kingsman and Wick fresh in mind, but the action scenes was a bit basic and didn't get some kick until the last fight, also not enough Shaft Sr. in the movie.

Polar:
dilf assassin with a dog? Not quite what I got, but this movie was awesome and weird. And Mads with a mustache and eyepatch, he's a pretty decent looking Old Snake or Big Boss
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #7549
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I saw Downton Abbey today. As a fan of the TV series I was very satisfied with the movie.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #7550
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I saw Ad Astra today and it was very good.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #7551
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Finally watched Ralph Wrecks the Internet, and Zootopia. I recently got a ( temporary) membwrship for the Disney Movie Club, and bought several movies i hadn't seen.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 10-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #7552
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Soooo, I watch the remaining three movies I picked up via my Disney club intro- Moana, Coco, and Big Hero 6. Of the entire bunch, (including Zootopia and Ralph Wrecks the Internet), I have to say Coco is my favorite. Loved the colors, the imagery (hopeful and positive regards to death and afterlife, though oddly disturbing at times, lol), the characters, and the message about family and following dreams. By far the most heartfelt of the bunch. It's a shame that one didn't do a lot better at the theaters than it seems to have done, but I chalk it up to limited advertising.

That said, Moana also had some great visuals, characters, and cultural influences, all used to great effect. In fact, it is probably the second best of the five- possibly tied with Zootopia. But the songs were not quite as memorable as I expected, given Disney's record in the music department.

I had expected to like Big Hero 6 a lot more, though it was fun and had heart- just, not quite as much as I had hoped, given the story. It almost turned into a revenge story, which was a bit more harsh than I would like from Disney movies. Liked it a lot, but it could have tried a bit harder to make the motives of the characters make more sense. Like, there really wasn't much reason for the masked guy to go after Hiro, beyond that he'd found his hideout. If anything, I could see him trying to get him on his side based on their (perceived) shared grievance.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 10-07-2019 at 03:02 PM.
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #7553
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

007 MR in cinema , get this : it was cut 25 mins

(not cuz censorship , reels were missing , old skool print)

If LTK and OHMSS is cut tomorrow i shall be requesting a refund , i mean really
Old 10-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #7554
Sumac
Banned

Watched multiple movies over the last month:

Justice League - it was not as bad as I expected. Generic comic book team movie, akin to Avengers, just with more sympathetic cast. I really like Afflec as Batman and even Cavill was not bad as Superman. All in all, I had fun watching this.

Ant Man and Wasp - generic Marvel movie. I liked creative battle scenes and the fact, that it was a small scale thing, for change. No "saving the universe" stuff which feels overdone.

Avengers: Inifnite War - amazing movie.
Thanos is an amazing villain, one of the few in MCU. I thought of him before as third-rate copy of the Darkseid, but in IW he really shined. I liked how his emotion were channeled in the movie. He probably was more emotional than some of the modern actors.
Another thing I loved was that despite enormous amount of characters and several intersecting plot lines, movie never felt confusing or too heavy. Taking about two dozen characters and making the story work with them, without it feeling cluttered - is an art in itself.

Black Panther - good movie. I can see why it was hailed as "important movie", but as far as the story goes, it was generic Marvel flick.
I didn't like special effects during final fight between BP and Killmonger - they looked like CGI characters from PS1 era.

Skull: Kong Island - boring.

The Predator (201 - enormous pile of trash.
Characters were nice, but were wasted on this pile of crap of the story.
"Autism as a new step in evolution of humanity", "Humanity will die from global warming in two generations", "Predators use DNA of other races to enhance themselves", "Predators want to colonize the Earth", "Predator-traitor wanted to give human superior technology to protect themselves, but then he awakes, he starts killing everyone"...It seems whoever was writing this movie had an Autism on his own.
Another thing that I dislike, is that there is a weird trend to present Classic Predators as a sorta good guys by creating even worse Predators (Black Predators from Predators and Super Predator from this trash of movie).
All in all, this is complete crap. If you thought Alien 4 shat all over Alien franchise, then don't watch this pile of garbage, because The Predator is much much worse.

Captain Marvel - fun good movie.
I liked that the movie instantly throws you into the fray and the origin story told via relatively short flashback in the middle of the movie, which unlike other MCU stuff.
Beginning reminded me of StarGate series, which is a good thing, ending reminded me about what a good Superman movie should be.
Larson was pretty good in this movie, though she definitely need to have more emotions going forward.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #7555
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I went to the theatre a couple hours ago to see Doctor sleep, the sequel to The Shining
Spoiler:
It sucks.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #7556
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

The Black Cauldron.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #7557
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Got to see Doctor Sleep for cheap, so I did. It was way better than I thought it would be. Good horror and excellent characters and themes. Some things were uneasy to sit through and there was even well used humor here and there. Right now I would watch Doctor Sleep again rather than The Shining.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #7558
IMJ
Emperor

Just got back from Ed Norton's newest, Motherless Brooklyn. It was good. It was a little slow in the middle, but it had a great cast, great period piece, great angle. Like many Ed Norton flicks, just a solid flick.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 AM   #7559
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Saw VVitch the other day. I liked it, really more of a family drama set in Puritan times with some supernatural elements thrown in that eventually devolves into madness. which is great. In that respect its like Hereditary lite.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #7560
Sumac
Banned

Venom.
Expected nothing, but pleasantly surprised. A solid anti-hero movie, which was a breath of fresh air after MCU goodie-two-shoes.
The only negative things I can say about it - lack of development of the Venom himself and mediocre final villain. On the other hand it is obvious that making Venom fighting of the normal human would be boring.

Deadpool 2.
It managed to do something inconceivable - it is a good X-Men movie.
And also it is a family movie with side dish of guts and blood and black humor.
I think, those elements were not necessary, sometimes it felt like movie was trying to hard to be gross. Special effects were amazing and Colossus once again was amazing.

Ready Player One.
A good sequel to the Tron, which Tron never had.
Very 80-s fun action-adventure romp.
Though aesop about living in real world is completely broken, if it was supposed to be an aesop in the first place.

Avengers: End Game.
Amazing ending to the 10 years of MCU and tribute to the amazing work of the Marvel Studios.
Interestingly, as opposed to majority o the MCU movies, this one doesn't end on a happy note, but on a bittersweet one.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies