The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

If you could permanently erase a part of TMNT history, what would it be?

Let's say you had the power to go back in time and erase something from TMNT history forever. What would it be? Think about of the possible effect it would have on the future of the property, btw. The butterfly of chaos theory, etc.

I'd erase the sale to Nick/Viacom, which meant the property would either die after Turtles Forever, get sold to somebody else, or just stay in dormant status forever. Erasing that buy would mean not having most of the stuff we got this decade, but I'd be OK with that. The Nick show didn't interest me and Bay Turtles can die in a fire, so I'd love to go back to a world where that crap didn't exist.

Perhaps someone like Marvel, DC or *shudders* Disney would have bought the TMNT property if Nick/Viacom had not, who knows. I'd be willing to take such risk, though.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

No. The Viacom sale was the best thing to happen to the franchise, and we got the most memorable TMNT universes this decade than before (again not counting the horrible nostril Turtles from the Michael Bay movies)
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I agree with you Prowler, I would also completely erase tmnt after the Nick/Viacom sale, but more out of curiosity to see how the property is handled rather than because of my distaste for any one version.

I absolutely love the Nick toon and Rise, think the first PD film is bad, the second one is mediocre and I am indifferent to the IDW comics altogether, but I am curious to see what could've been done with tmnt differently if these versions never existed because of Nick never buying the property in the first place.

If what we get out of another company buying tmnt in this alternate reality is complete garbage, then I wouldn't even be mad at all because Turtles Forever was basically the perfect sendoff to the franchise, and you can basically get away with pretending that nothing was made after that film.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Micro? Wipe out the sale. Peter carries on with things.

Macro? Wipe out the Fred Wolf show and Turtlemania.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Micro? Wipe out the sale. Peter carries on with things.

Macro? Wipe out the Fred Wolf show and Turtlemania.
If you wiped out turtlemania, this board doesn't exist, and TMNT dies in 1988.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
mikey0
Foot Elite

TMNT fans had Turtlemania ‘90 to thank for 90s toy scalpers, large TMNT toy displays in stores, empty toy shelves, toys on reserve and layaway, upset parents, long lines at stores, DIY TMNT action figure necklaces, basic and sub-waves with turtle variants, and the mention of TMNT everywhere. The original Playmates toy line was easier to collect from the summer of 1988 to the spring of 1989, but Turtlemania ‘90 made finding rare and uncommon basic wave characters worse than it was in even late 1989.

With the exception of the FW cartoon characters, the 1990 TMNT movie sold the 1st and 3rd (Casey Jones wave) basic wave figures better than the 1987 FW mini-series and 1988 FW syndicated series.

Last edited by mikey0; 12-04-2019 at 09:11 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
TMNT fans had Turtlemania ‘90 to thank for 90s toy scalpers, large TMNT toy displays in stores, empty toy shelves, toys on reserve and layaway, upset parents, long lines at stores, and the mention of TMNT everywhere. The original Playmates toy line was easier to collect from the summer of 1988 to the spring of 1989, but Turtlemania ‘90 made finding rare and uncommon basic wave characters worse than it was in even late 1989.

With the exception of the FW cartoon characters, the 1990 TMNT movie sold the 1st and 3rd (Casey Jones wave) basic wave figures better than the 1987 FW mini-series and 1988 FW syndicated series.
Where do you get this info??

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I would erase Turtles Forever. I hate comic-y multiverse crap, and maybe it might have allowed for a standalone Mirage movie or a standalone FW movie done with full attention dedicated to either without using them as a cheap nostalgia gimmick.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I would erase Turtles Forever. I hate comic-y multiverse crap, and maybe it might have allowed for a standalone Mirage movie or a standalone FW movie done with full attention dedicated to either without using them as a cheap nostalgia gimmick.
They were literally going to do an animated adaptation of TMNT Vol. 1, #1 until Peter was "talked into" the idea of Turtles Forever. So yeah, the removal of Turtles Forever would virtually guarantee that.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Ooo! Fun question!

I don't know that I'd "erase" Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. There were some things I enjoyed about that. I would have instead significantly tweaked it. Maybe I'm okay with coming right out and saying I'd erase Venus DeMilo.

I haven't read any of the comics with the Jennika character. From what I understand, fans actually are really digging it, but in just hearing about that, I got some pretty "Venusy" vibes. I can't hate on it (and I'm not, by the way) since I haven't read it, but I mean, the Venus thing was just... ew.

I like the idea of a live action turtles series, and NM had some potential for 1998, but I just couldn't with Venus.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Maybe I'm okay with coming right out and saying I'd erase Venus DeMilo.
NT:TNM's footprint on... well, anything is so small, I really wouldn't even bother. Venus or not, nobody cared about NT:TNM. Not even kids.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

You're not wrong. But I wonder if it could have had a bigger footprint with better direction.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
NT:TNM's footprint on... well, anything is so small, I really wouldn't even bother. Venus or not, nobody cared about NT:TNM. Not even kids.
Yeah, let TNM be. It came out in 1997 and it didn't even get a second season. The Turtlemania boom ended around 1992-1993 or so.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Venus, Image, perhaps the Power Rangers crossover, yeah, the latter because it was the final straw with Power Rangers which was my secondary fandom as Batman is for me today. It was the Turbo replacements not the original six and Venus was present. The turtles were brainwashed and made to look bad and the paranoid prick that was the Red Ranger was proven right. 21 years later I get my 90s' kids dream team up not a joke that spit on the TMNT. It was the last we would see of the TMNT for five years too.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Old 12-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I knew when I typed it that you would not like reading that, but differences of opinion is what makes the world go round and keeps the franchise active. Its not exactly a popular version however like any incarnation it has its fans.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #17
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Erase Rise Of The TMNT The Next Mutation and Bayturtles from TMNT History.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
Icebot
Foot Elite

I don’t know if I’d erase anything unless it means I could redo it all over again, like with Turtles Forever I’d remake it to show continuity from the Fred wolf show and have their original actors do the voices.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #19
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

NM would be what I would erase, that series is just plain awful. I thought rise was going to replace that, but the more I watch that series the more tolerable I am of it. It has some charm, although, not my idea of what tmnt should be by any means
Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #20
miru
Mad Scientist

Michael Bay's film, of course. If we want to get small, maybe those direct-to-video specials.