The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #61
AquaParade
Banned

I can do without the masks essentially serving as a mood ring. There’s no good explanation, so don’t give one, is how I currently feel about it.

I’d really like to see red masks being the standard, with other details to help the audience. Mikey sporting an orange jacket/vest, Ralph ditching the mask altogether, Leo with blue, we can assume as some sort of honor given by Mastef Splinter, etc

That’s probably asking too much, and I’m not completely against the different colors coming into play. I just wouldn’t worry too much about how or why.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #62
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The colors easily go along with their personalities, but imo I think it's best left to giving fans something to think over rather than just making it set in stone or wasting precious screen time of a film trying to explain it.

I prefer the separate colors because it does suit them and would rather they mainly stick with that, though I still think the use of all red masks in certain battles could be used as a cunning trick, causing a bit of confusion for an enemy (largely those who aren't yet familiar with the Turtles), throwing them a bit off balance, not knowing how many of them there really are in the heat of a crazy fight. A film could certainly do that to touch on Mirage without having to waste time trying to explain it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #63
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm happy assuming the mask colours are just their preferences.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #64
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, so how about this? Combine issues 1, 2 and the Return to NYC arc with Baxter's arc in volume 2. Remove Zog and replace the Foot Clan's defences with Cyber Stockman and some MOUSERS.

Here's the rundown:
  1. Establish Baxter and Shredder as Partners in Crime.
  2. Give us the backstory regarding Yoshi, Shredder and the Turtles.
  3. Have them break into Stockman's Lab and save April.
  4. April gives them info on how to take them down.
  5. Battle to the top and a final showdown with Shredder and Baxter.

Keeps the action going.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #65
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

How do you make tags?

Anyway, I think if they did do a reboot, I'd like it if they made it be a bit more 'serious.' Less goofy, no pizza puns, and try to keep the Fred Wolfisms to a minimum.

If they do have Bebop and Rocksteady, I really hope they make them intimidating bad guys, not idiots, because smart bruisers sound like they would put up a better fight then morons played for 'the laughs.' Plus, the Turtles will beat them hard eventually (and to make it serious) maybe the Shredder should threaten to kill them if they fail too much, and actually follow through with his threat. That would make him look hardcore legit evil, so the audience takes him seriously and not as just some crazy ninja guy wearing spiked metal on his body. He will need 'replacement' mutants but ones far more tougher and dangerous, so do some horrific experiments on one or two of his 'loyal' henchmen to create super mutants?

I'm just spitballing with the mutants, but they do need to diversify them beyond just always showing Bebop and Rocksteady. They are a bit... overdone, and we have others in canon now for directors to take inspiration from. At least adding new mutants (or super mutants) escalates things, and gives us something new to see.

And finally, they need to add back the ninja fighting and the urban grittiness, and New York at night and in the shadows. It's been missing lately, and it would help with the 'serious movie' feel.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:45 AM   #66
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
How do you make tags?
In the right corner of the tag window, you'll see a link to "edit tags".
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:15 AM   #67
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Especially if we're dealing with a Splinter who was human, it would make that much more sense that he would want to someday show the Turtles where he came from and the area where he grew up.
I would like to see the more of turtles in some modern-day Japan environment (like a car of a Shinkansen high speed-train rushing across the railway tracks, or Tokyo skyscrapers swaying during an Earthquake). But necessarily in a film, it could be a cartoon episode or comic issue.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #68
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Something I'd thought of the other day came back to mind and figured I'd put it out there...

If - and that's a BIG IF - they ended up deciding to bring back the actors and use the same existing Turtle character models again - because lets face it, they still have a TON of time to decide down the road what any part of this is even going to look like and what version they're going with - they need to be wise and promote the hell out of it.

And I don't mean just slapping them on product labels, toys, and showing us lots of clips, trailers, and sneak peeks. That's the laziest option possible and it doesn't make people connect to it/them. And don't just rely on trying to do "new" things to old material or adding characters just to try to draw interest.

Maybe I'm not in 'the biz,' but it's damn well obvious that if they use the same designs then they have GOT to focus on drawing people back in. Have to give people a reason to CONNECT with them and love these guys. Maybe some people never will because they aren't pretty enough for them, the same producers are involved, or because pants. (I mean... Nick Leo can change personality and turn into an asshat for a series that could run for years, but god forbid the guy wear a pair of pants for 90 - 120 minutes.) But plenty could still be drawn to these guys if given REASON to like them.

Do additional fun stuff to promote it. In particular, record/create "fourth wall breaking" things with the Turtles.

One thing I thought of initially with this is how cool would it be to do the usual old clips of actors sitting and talking about the film and their individual characters... but use some old basic 'movie magic' and have the Turtle actors record this twice - once as themselves, and again as the Turtle they play. Then mesh it together so that you then have both actor and his respective Turtle seated beside each other, both discussing the film together and to the audience. Things like this would be a lot of fun (prob for both the viewers and the actors alike) and help people connect with the characters because it humanizes them a bit, so to speak, and tears that fourth wall down. (If it costs money, so what... You want reason to get more of it, don't you?)
Old 07-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #69
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’d be surprised if they used the same designs/continuity. The designs never bothered me but they’re associated with 2 so-so movies. I don’t think any retooling will make those against them like them. Oots would have been the time.

Even if a new movie was better written and promoted just seeing them will make people assume we’re getting more of the same. It’s best to start over with new designs and storyline.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #70
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, and is why I said it's a big IF, and you're right of course, but I figure, it's Platinum Dunes... I wouldn't put it past them. Reboot or not.

Not until we have a direct, more detailed statement from PD themselves; rather than just one batch of limited articles, many of which aren't even sure if it's a full reboot, or a soft reboot.

I don't think this set is without the ability to be redeemed, and at this point I want that for them, but would take a miracle these producers probably wouldn't bother putting the right effort into pulling off. (Let alone have the smarts to.)
Old 07-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #71
CelticCat
New Recruit

As long as the movie isn’t anything based off the new crap fest Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles then I’ll be fine!
CelticCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #72
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Can you imagine? I think 80% of the fanbase would have a stroke (or at least be terribly let down) if everyone eagerly and nervously waited for months to find out what this is really going to be...only to have it be "Rise" à la the new Teen Titans Go movie. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Fortunately the timing is way off for this one anyhow and I imagine that wouldn't be handled by PD.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #73
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticCat View Post
As long as the movie isn’t anything based off the new crap fest Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles then I’ll be fine!
I love how every time there's something new, users who joined but never posted come around just to take a crap on it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #74
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I love how every time there's something new, users who joined but never posted come around just to take a crap on it.
Yes it’s obvious when someone posts just to get a “Rise” out of people (pun intended). Seriously though it’s very obvious. I never respond to them because it’s not a legitimate post. I’m only acknowledging this because you guys did.

However a Rise style live action movie would be freaking awesome.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:24 AM   #75
newfan
Mad Scientist

I hope they stick to PG13 like the Superhero movies and not make it too young. Just my personal preference.
Could we be at this stage for a while? you know, announced they plan to do it but it could be ages away before they even move from there?
Old 07-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #76
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I hope they stick to PG13 like the Superhero movies and not make it too young. Just my personal preference.
Could we be at this stage for a while? you know, announced they plan to do it but it could be ages away before they even move from there?
They should go dark if they need to. The problem is Nicklelodeon would want them to stay family friendly. Since they do promote the movies on there Network. Which is aimed directly at kids.

This is the very reason why the new TMNT series was aimed at a younger audience. The 2012 series went a little dark. And Nickelodeon felt uncomfortable with the direction that show went. That they created a new series more in line with there demographic.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #77
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They should go dark if they need to. The problem is Nicklelodeon would want them to stay family friendly. Since they do promote the movies on there Network. Which is aimed directly at kids.

This is the very reason why the new TMNT series was aimed at a younger audience. The 2012 series went a little dark. And Nickelodeon felt uncomfortable with the direction that show went. That they created a new series more in line with there demographic.

Well I wasn't after R rated there's family friendly movies targeting a wider age range and then toons on kids channels.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #78
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Probably not, since there's no quality control. It took 14 years before Laird was happy with Imagi's TMNT 4. From the moment Nick bought the rights, it took only 5 years to get TMNT (2014) off the ground, though they had to shoot the same movie twice. Less than 2 years for the sequel.

Things should move speedily, for better or probably for worse.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #79
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I've also wondered if it would take awhile for it to really even move forward. Didn't 2014 actually take a long time to really come around to happening? But good point on Nick's eagerness in general though.

While I don't want it to take forever, I hope it at least takes long enough to actually get a good script down pat, unlike how they rushed through making one for 2016 just to hurry up and make another movie; they half-assed it on the main plot line and it shows loud and clear.

We've got a new "younger" series already getting out the door just barely after it could hit the other guys in the behind on the way out... Please please please let a movie go a bit OLDER. Likewise agree, there is no reason that a film has to be rated R in order for adults to enjoy it, PG 13 can do that just fine. (Even though a truly darker R rated TMNT someday would be pretty awesome.) Give those adults and older teens something to look forward to alongside and in contrast to a tv series desperate to be younger.

edit: Remember Snick (Saturday Night Nick)? It's a shame that at one time Nick was interested in trying to create some content for an audience that was a little older, rather than making sure everything is age appropriate for 8-year-olds.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-25-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #80
miru
Mad Scientist

Introduce the series back to theaters via a featurette or even a serial attached to another film or two. Featurette format feels like the best choice for adapting an issue or even arc into a film. Keep this featurette grounded, with Goseico as the main enemy, alongside PDs. Focus on character moments and growth as the warriors learn their place in the world, despite being accidents.

I guess either continuing to whet tastes with another featurette or moving onto the feature film. Considering Pooh had three featurette showings before his big shot, maybe one more featurette before the movie would work. Probably about the Purple Dragons (and maybe bother gangs)

When it comes to the film, i’d probably keep the origin story in the opening credits and end with the Turtles ready to fight Shredder. The battle ensues, and it ends with the seeming demise of him. Their mission over, the real Action begins. I’d basically then cover all the early Mirage stuff, from the one-shot of Raph meeting Casey Jones to the Mouser saga. The film climaxes within TCRI, where the turtles find out why they became the way they are. In fact, Shredder seemingly returns for a climactic brawl as Donatello rescues a captive Mutant scheduled for destruction and study; he named her Alopex.

After Shredder falls into the portal, taking TCRI with him, our heroes leave into the sewer, awaiting what will come next. The stinger shows eyes looming from the darkness, along with the sound of a portal. The wanted poster of Ch’Rell flutters by.

(In a later film, it’s revealed the Shredder who attacked them at TCRI is not the same one that was killed by a fall. Rather, he’s the criminal Ch’rell, who was seen on a wanted poster at TCRI.)

Last edited by miru; 08-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
from nm to mw, seppuku