The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Would be interesting if Nick decided to cut ties with Playmates, and it would make sense at a time where they're about to relaunch a new TMNT series. I don't think they will, but if now was the time, it's as good as any.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Would be interesting if Nick decided to cut ties with Playmates, and it would make sense at a time where they're about to relaunch a new TMNT series. I don't think they will, but if now was the time, it's as good as any.
There is probably some mutual finger-pointing at each other between Nickelodeon and Playmates. From Playmates to Nick that the quality of their show led to toy sales decline, from Nick to Playmates that their toys were sucky and costing them viewers. The last two seasons or so of TMNT 2012 took a pretty enormous hit in the ratings... I can only imagine what the toy numbers were.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #43
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

This is going to be one of the worst TMNT series to date. Ugly Splinter. Odd character design and weird voice cast.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #44
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah with the new show not resembling the ‘87 show as much as 2012 did I’m not sure Playmates can count on a lot of nostalgic toy purchases either. And a lot of people might have gotten that out of their system in the last five years and are now fine walking past the toy aisle. Only time will tell.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #45
mikeyatemypizza
Foot Soldier

So easy to walk past toy isles nowadays, since all the good characters are swooped up by staff scalpers. Make more money selling short packs than they get Stocking shelves.
mikeyatemypizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #46
leolao
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I went to Playmatestoys.com to see if they updated their site after the design reveal....and then I noticed this:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...0c&oe=5AE2993B
I contacted Playmates and they said that they are still making TMNT toys only for the Nick Reboot, No plans for Classics, old movies or Fred Wolf show so for the old fans we have NECA and hopefully BANDAI.
leolao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #47
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oh yeah... That Splinter figure would be interesting to see. Didn't think much could make the unappealing PD version look almost okay, but geezus.

He's like some ancient mole rat that's just come out of a 20 year hibernation. But gorged on junk food during semi-lucid moments.

If there is one cute enough, I imagine I might at least own one figure of my fave for posterity, unless these figures are horrible and/or I'm too resentful at what 'Rise' does with him.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #48
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Splinter's look tells me he's probably going to be a bit of a jokester, amd feisty, which will be humorous because of his stature...kind of like when Yoda kicks it into high gear, but then later on in life acts intentionally like he has gone batty...but both at the same time.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #49
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm interested in seeing how they do gimmick figures, like Mikey can tuck completely inside his shell, Donnie's shell armor, Raph being huge... maybe a power punch feature like vintage He-Man and Leo... I donno, cutting action feature?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 AM   #50
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Zero interest in the toys for me. That's in part because of where I am at this stage of my life, but mostly because I find the designs to be horrendous. Pretty much as offensive as the Bay designs, frankly.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #51
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

the animation style reminds me of Andy Kuhn tmnt, but not as good. I agree, splinter is hideous.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #52
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I'm interested to see the first wave because if history is any indicator, the figures may not resemble the final character designs.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #53
dragonside
Hench Mutant

if this is anything like teen titans go, they have some decent funko pops.

now would Playmates make some decent figures with these designs.

EHHH in terms of little details - there's a lot. Playmates is good with very streamlined simple designs, like the TMNT 2012. If you guys remember their version of the 2014 movie - while not that bad, it was lacking of a lot of the really nice details.

Playmates also does not care about scale, so having four completely different designs. This series has to make a lot of money in order for them to even attempt.

I'd prefer to see a different toy maker tackle this new series.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #54
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post

now would Playmates make some decent figures with these designs.

EHHH in terms of little details - there's a lot. Playmates is good with very streamlined simple designs, like the TMNT 2012. If you guys remember their version of the 2014 movie - while not that bad, it was lacking of a lot of the really nice details.

Playmates also does not care about scale, so having four completely different designs. This series has to make a lot of money in order for them to even attempt.

I'd prefer to see a different toy maker tackle this new series.
Yes I think Playmates has a challenge ahead of them. Playmates is known for not releasing all four turtles as well. Such as disguise turtles for the movie had no Don. And the tv series had giant turtle mutations but only Raph and Leo got released.

So I could see a lot of series releases not having all four turtles. For example, If they do Head droppin’ turtles maybe no Don. If they do Storage/battle shell turtles perhaps no Raph. And maybe only Mikey and Leo for mutating pet-ninja turtle.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #55
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
We only ever got 87 series Pops though. No Mirage, no movies, no 2012... Just 87 and "pixelated" 87 to rep the games I guess?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #56
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

https://playmatestoys.com
Old 02-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #57
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yes I think Playmates has a challenge ahead of them. Playmates is known for not releasing all four turtles as well. Such as disguise turtles for the movie had no Don. And the tv series had giant turtle mutations but only Raph and Leo got released.

So I could see a lot of series releases not having all four turtles. For example, If they do Head droppin’ turtles maybe no Don. If they do Storage/battle shell turtles perhaps no Raph. And maybe only Mikey and Leo for mutating pet-ninja turtle.
It is likely that Leo and Raph will remain tied for most popular turtle with the kids, with Mikey coming in close and Don't remaining least popular.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #58
zaktheneutrino
Stone Warrior

I’m in the minority as I think these designs could make for some cool looking figures! I’m not wild about Splinter, hate the April design, but I think the turtles look pretty neat.

Time will tell but if the writers go an Ultimate Spider-Man direction where there’s a lot of humor yet serious villains and some fun action, this could be good. A Spider Verse like arc would be interesting too where we see not just a crossover but the other turtle universes.

Check out my TMNT website for news, reviews and more!
http://www.thewhitefootsoldier.com

Instagram: The White Foot Soldier
zaktheneutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #59
dragonside
Hench Mutant

there it is. okay Playmates. Hope they put in a good effort on the quality.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #60
tipet
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaktheneutrino View Post
I’m in the minority as I think these designs could make for some cool looking figures! I’m not wild about Splinter, hate the April design, but I think the turtles look pretty neat.

Time will tell but if the writers go an Ultimate Spider-Man direction where there’s a lot of humor yet serious villains and some fun action, this could be good. A Spider Verse like arc would be interesting too where we see not just a crossover but the other turtle universes.
Yes, the figures will be cool think. I've seen the new Ben 10 figures and they are great. I hope Playmates goes in the same direction.

tipet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, action figures, playmates, rise of the tmnt, toys