The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #101
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Halfway through the latest season and it feels a bit slow, some nice moments but overall the show is doing the usual things. I liked the game show episode, not a bad season so far but without Zarkon/Lotor the Galra don't seem as big of a threat.

Edit: Finished the season, slight spoilers I guess I liked the Earth setting, the lion/voltron battles wish we had gotten more like those during the whole series, still drags plenty in other parts. The Galra without their leaders are now just boring villains, did they not plan this out? For a show that had 78 episodes from the start as a full run surely planned things very poorly. So is all the controversy over Shiro not being Gay enough or treated well? that fandom is so unlikable and unaware of themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unworthy tinker View Post
However, recent contreversy seems rather harsh. It seems that this season is practically disowned by the fandom, and not for many practical reasons. That, or, the minority acts as if it's flawless. I would like to present more moderate opinions here.

What is the fandom like? I was familiar with the Voltron fandom before Legendary Defender and it was fine, during the first season they all seemed super happy with the show but that was mostly a few 40 somethings who grew up with the original show and the new shows fandom is mostly newer generations. I do know this show is full of the worst of the Tumblr/DeviantArt fandoms that latched on to all the pandering the show went for and there's never pleasing that crowd no matter how much you pander.

Quote:
Also, the final season will premiere this year. Speculation is because Dreamworks wants it over with because of the toxic fandom. I don't think that's the case, but I won't deny, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: oh, and the toys flopped.
When they announced this season would be 13 episodes and so soon since the previous season I knew something was up and that it was likely the final season would be released this year since the order was always 78 episodes. It seems rather odd for them to do this but I doubt the fandom is that toxic, I mean My Little Pony had no problem with its fandom despite the bad press.

Netflix keeps the viewership count to itself so we have no idea how popular the show really is and sucks about the toyline since this might seal the fate for other exclusive action cartoons on Netflix that need toylines but then again the bad tumblr/deviant art fans are all about their shipping/original art/creepy fanfics than buying toys. I thought the show was a success, why are they dumping it all this year? At least it got a full story to tell unlike the two previous Voltron revivals and revived the franchise that hadn't gotten a break since it premiered but if it bombed it might seal the fate for future ambitious animated projects on Netflix.

Edit: I did some digging and the theory seems to be that Lionsgate wants to finish Netflix's contract as quick as possible since they're moving to Hulu, apparently they've been doing the same for other of their Netflix shows.

Last edited by sdp; 08-12-2018 at 01:00 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #102
Unworthy tinker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Halfway through the latest season and it feels a bit slow, some nice moments but overall the show is doing the usual things. I liked the game show episode, not a bad season so far but without Zarkon/Lotor the Galra don't seem as big of a threat.

Edit: Finished the season, slight spoilers I guess I liked the Earth setting, the lion/voltron battles wish we had gotten more like those during the whole series, still drags plenty in other parts. The Galra without their leaders are now just boring villains, did they not plan this out? For a show that had 78 episodes from the start as a full run surely planned things very poorly. So is all the controversy over Shiro not being Gay enough or treated well? that fandom is so unlikable and unaware of themselves.

What is the fandom like? I was familiar with the Voltron fandom before Legendary Defender and it was fine, during the first season they all seemed super happy with the show but that was mostly a few 40 somethings who grew up with the original show and the new shows fandom is mostly newer generations. I do know this show is full of the worst of the Tumblr/DeviantArt fandoms that latched on to all the pandering the show went for and there's never pleasing that crowd no matter how much you pander.

When they announced this season would be 13 episodes and so soon since the previous season I knew something was up and that it was likely the final season would be released this year since the order was always 78 episodes. It seems rather odd for them to do this but I doubt the fandom is that toxic, I mean My Little Pony had no problem with its fandom despite the bad press.

Netflix keeps the viewership count to itself so we have no idea how popular the show really is and sucks about the toyline since this might seal the fate for other exclusive action cartoons on Netflix that need toylines but then again the bad tumblr/deviant art fans are all about their shipping/original art/creepy fanfics than buying toys. I thought the show was a success, why are they dumping it all this year? At least it got a full story to tell unlike the two previous Voltron revivals and revived the franchise that hadn't gotten a break since it premiered but if it bombed it might seal the fate for future ambitious animated projects on Netflix.

Edit: I did some digging and the theory seems to be that Lionsgate wants to finish Netflix's contract as quick as possible since they're moving to Hulu, apparently they've been doing the same for other of their Netflix shows.
Ah, that's what the rush is for. Okay then. I'm well aware of the 78 episode deal, and that's what I was getting at with the rush. Not cancellation, but to just get through with it. You said earlier in the thread that there was a good chance the final season comes out next year. Except it won't. The hiatus will be four months max, that's a shorter gap than the one between seasons four and five! Even looking at this season, I can see how perhaps it was once intended to be split up, with the first six episodes being road trip, and the first two-parter potentially marking another season. Glad the fandom isn't the reason why though, because it is wild. If there was a fandom with potential to end its show, I'd probably put this one somewhere up there. Lots of harrassment of the cast and crew.
There was an incident where a fan was given a tour of Studio Mir. They took some pics, put them online, was told to take them down. They abliged, but another fan saved the pics and tried to blackmail Studio Mir/Dreamworks/the crew into making Keith and Lance a canon couple.
Another incident where Josh Keaton, the voice of Shiro, helped the fandom create some ship names. He was under the impression that Shiro was a teenager, just like much of the fandom. Shiro is revealed to be in his twenties, fandom tears him apart via Twitter, even though he didn't even know his character's age prior to this. He was just as innocent as the fan artists and fan-fic writers who assumed the same.
Bex Taylor-Klaus, voice of Pidge, frequently comes under fire for saying she dislikes a ship, or that she likes pairing Pidge and Lance, or liking fanart of straight couples. Taylor-Klaus was actually one of the ones really pushing for LGBT rep, despite this.
There's probably a few more incidents of similar stuff, but these are the most prominent. Then of course, the current "queer-baiting" thing, which is leading to a major boycot, death threats, you name it. Granted, I don't partake in the fandom much, but I do tend to lurk a lot. Of course, there are positive people, love the theorizing part of the fandom, but man, they get buried under all the drama. It's a shame.

Side-note: Funnily enough, it makes sense why Shiro and Adam were handled so poorly. It's been discovered that in Japan, the English audio for the flashback was actually an earlier recording where they were just close friends. The slightly more explicit version we have was added later on because the writers wanted the representation. I personally prefer the original recording, because Adam actually seems more concerned for Shiro in this one, and leaves their relationship up for interpretation.

Last edited by Unworthy tinker; 08-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Unworthy tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #103
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Whelp just watched season 7 and man does it feel like the writers don't plan ahead. This is season 7 and we are just now getting Keith and Shiro's backstory and what happened to Keith's father. Another problem I have is that the Ty Lee alien is apparently a sadist, I may not have perfect memory of the show but has she always been like this and what happened to Adam is a waste. Also apparently Shiro has a disease where he won't perform in peak physical conditions but we saw him moving just fine in the earlier seasons. Despite that however the season is actually pretty good while the main antagonist were kinda weak(they feel like Zarkon-lite) I did enjoy the trip to Earth but the fight happening on Earth not only shakes up the status quo but also gives us more background to the characters. Its nice seeing Lance's and Hunk's families and I like how there was some internal conflict when Pidge's dad tried to inform the Earth populace. While fighting for a planet isn't really anything new we do get higher stakes on a emotional level what with the Paladins wanting to return home but only to find it war torn and under Galra control.Overall good season but my god do the writers need to work on their forethought.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #104
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Last season is out, crazy how we got 78 episodes constantly since its premier 2 years ago. Too bad they didn't take this 78 episode order to their advantage, so much more could've been done knowing they knew exactly how many episodes they had to work with.

I'm halfway through the last season and it's mostly the same problems the show has had in its entire run, I'd just like to comment that they made a great job in making Witch Haggar a threat so far. Apparently the tumblr crowd turned on the show becase it didn't do what their headcanons wanted them to, so the show sacrificed character development and story to pander to this crowd only for it to not be "enough" for them

I found why tumblr hates the season
Spoiler:
Tumblr melting down over the entirety of season 8 is some of the best schadenfreude I've ever felt.

But at the same time, I feel sorry for everyone who worked on this show. Imagine having your entire project be ruthlessly shat on because insane bitches (who previously praised your show) built up a yaoi ship in their mind based on literally nothing and are mad that it didn't become canon. I'd never want to interact with fandom again if I were Montgomery or Joaquim.

Started the second half of the season, why are they spending so much time on these nobody supporting characters they've been bloating with since last season? There's enough main characters to deal with already. Pacing problems as always.

Last edited by sdp; 12-15-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #105
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Klance is not even canon so I’m not supporting season 8. They can rot for queer baiting
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #106
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I finished watching Voltron Legendary Defender, here is my full review of all the seasons for anyone curious. I have the most posts on this thread The ending was alright, not amazing but the best it could do with what it had built.

To summarize my views which I've posted many times in this thread already since it hasn't changed much. The show had a lot of potential, the pacing is bad, animation and character designs were great, half of it is boring, half of it is interesting. They don't respect the Voltron legacy/lore a lot and this is for the worse, it almost feels like something unrelated to Voltron, but overall there's enough there to like it and at the end of the day it's the most successful Voltron has been in the public eye since the 80s. It wasn't the classic I wanted it to be but at least it was a successful reboot.