The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with video games.

I tend towards puzzle or adventure games more than anything else, because they're the ones best suited to coming back to once you've gotten so frustrated with them that you've chucked them across the room.

Old...excuse me vintage console-wise I'd have to say that Maze Craze was hands down my favorite. Or at very least it was the one I played the most.

ET was one of the first games I ever completed.

I played a lot of Towering Inferno and Atari Circus too.

Someday, when I get my NES up and running again, I'm going to find a copy of the Darkwing Duck game that I loaned to a guy in college...and I'm going to finish that badboy.
What kind of puzzle games?

Adventure? As in Zelda?

LOl loan/lend stealers are the worst. This is why I'm super selfish and always take a step back when I mention a game/book/movie wtv I own and love and someone asks me "oh can I borrow it?"

That Darkwing Duck game is basically a Mega man 5 clone. It's solid but a bit challenging and frustrating at times.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What kind of puzzle games?

Adventure? As in Zelda?
The only version of Zelda I've ever played was the one from the Gamboy Advance, which...I started, got frustrated with, and then went back to Tetris.
Because...that's how I roll, apparently.

Though I have a very vivid memory of a friend's father playing the very first Zelda game. We were all under STRICT INSTRUCTION not to go near the tv, which was off, because he had the Nintendo set up and there was no save feature, only pause.

And anything that could make him lose his place in the game would be the end of us, hyperbolically speaking.

Quote:
LOl loan/lend stealers are the worst. This is why I'm super selfish and always take a step back when I mention a game/book/movie wtv I own and love and someone asks me "oh can I borrow it?"

That Darkwing Duck game is basically a Mega man 5 clone. It's solid but a bit challenging and frustrating at times.
I mean, it wasn't the NES Ninja Turtle game, but I never did get past that Quacker Jack level.

Speaking of that TMNT game, never did get past the Disarming the Bombs level either.

I have to take my NES in for a cleaning and pin alignment, so maybe I can finally find Donatello.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The only version of Zelda I've ever played was the one from the Gamboy Advance, which...I started, got frustrated with, and then went back to Tetris.
Because...that's how I roll, apparently.

Though I have a very vivid memory of a friend's father playing the very first Zelda game. We were all under STRICT INSTRUCTION not to go near the tv, which was off, because he had the Nintendo set up and there was no save feature, only pause.

And anything that could make him lose his place in the game would be the end of us, hyperbolically speaking.

I mean, it wasn't the NES Ninja Turtle game, but I never did get past that Quacker Jack level.

Speaking of that TMNT game, never did get past the Disarming the Bombs level either.

I have to take my NES in for a cleaning and pin alignment, so maybe I can finally find Donatello.
GBA Zelda game' Was it Minish Cap?

You know.. I never knew you could liberate captured Turtles in that game. I was never able to do that at least. Only learnt you could do that soem years ago.

The furthest I've got in that game was to the airport level, but only made it there once. Usually I end up dying by level 3. But I was only able to get past the dam(n) level when I was already 17-18 years old and after watching some TAS plays on youtube.

As for DD game... I beat the first 3 levels, but then 3 others pop up and I don't think I beat any of those?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #24
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

Well... that's the thing. We were kids. Ofc console wars are dumb. And tbh, I was more upset at other kids trashing Nintendo than anything. I eventually got a PS2 Slim in 2005.
I had a friend in 7th and 8th grade, and we were friends in high school although we went to different schools. Despite getting an SNES, he was like, the ULTIMATE Sega fanboy. It got on my nerves.

I enjoyed the N64 with the seven total games I got for it, but a part of me wishes I had a PlayStation back then as well. I got the original PS2 model in 2002, but I was already done with college by then.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I had a friend in 7th and 8th grade, and we were friends in high school although we went to different schools. Despite getting an SNES, he was like, the ULTIMATE Sega fanboy. It got on my nerves.

I enjoyed the N64 with the seven total games I got for it, but a part of me wishes I had a PlayStation back then as well. I got the original PS2 model in 2002, but I was already done with college by then.
I didn't even know of the Nintendo vs. Sega rivalry/war until I read about it around 2006-2007, when I began reading more about video games on the internet and the history of the industry which was by then easier due to wikipedia being a thing. So yeah, as a kid I enjoyed both the Nintendo and Sega consoles we had. We only had a handful of games for the genesis, though. My brother bought it near the end of its life when it was dirt cheap already. He also waited for Saturn's price to drop massively(which happened rather quickly, tbh) before buying one.

I never envied the PS1 or knew/cared much about it, but defo envied the PS2. it had a lot of exclusive cool games I wanted to try out. Didnt' envy the original Xbox much, though.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #26
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

PSOne, because it was my favorite. NES and SNES were amazing, but I eventually became a Playstation fanboy.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I got my first console for Christmas 1993. By then Nintendo had just finished making new games and I had an entire backlog to explore. It was a good starter game system despite having to blow to get it to work every few times you play.

N64 as much in retrospect that I am displeased it moved away form the beat'em up style games that I think of when I think classic video games, I love what it did for gaming. I remember the "wow" factor of Mario 64, Mario Kart '64, and Super Smash Bros.

The video game system that was the most used and still is periodically is the GameBoy. I got the bulky black and white GameBoy in 1994, a year after Nintendo. I wore out battery after battery. My allowance was not money, but battery packs for my Gameboy. As time went on I upgraded to GameBoy Color and then GameBoy Advanced and then GaemBoy DS and then 3DS. The last two years I have not really played any games aside from a Marvel App on my phone,but for more than two decades GameBoy served countless hundreds of hours of entertainment.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I got my first console for Christmas 1993. By then Nintendo had just finished making new games and I had an entire backlog to explore. It was a good starter game system despite having to blow to get it to work every few times you play.

N64 as much in retrospect that I am displeased it moved away form the beat'em up style games that I think of when I think classic video games, I love what it did for gaming. I remember the "wow" factor of Mario 64, Mario Kart '64, and Super Smash Bros.

The video game system that was the most used and still is periodically is the GameBoy. I got the bulky black and white GameBoy in 1994, a year after Nintendo. I wore out battery after battery. My allowance was not money, but battery packs for my Gameboy. As time went on I upgraded to GameBoy Color and then GameBoy Advanced and then GaemBoy DS and then 3DS. The last two years I have not really played any games aside from a Marvel App on my phone,but for more than two decades GameBoy served countless hundreds of hours of entertainment.
Yes, even though nowadays there's countless mobile games, I had a lot more fun with Game Boy games back in the day despite the more outdated technology. hell, to this day, Pokémon RBY and Pokémon GSC are still fun despite showing their age.

Having to replace batteries sucked but at least there were no ads or micro-transactions or pay-to-win games.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #29
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Yes, even though nowadays there's countless mobile games, I had a lot more fun with Game Boy games back in the day despite the more outdated technology. hell, to this day, Pokémon RBY and Pokémon GSC are still fun despite showing their age.

Having to replace batteries sucked but at least there were no ads or micro-transactions or pay-to-win games.
The GBA was a magical machine. The games I most vividly remember are

The 3DS comes close; I'm sad to see it being outmoded after all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

The GBA was pretty cool and advanced at the time. Also, it's funny how nowadays people look back at it as having a pretty good games library, but back then a lot of people complained about it having many NES and SNES ports of games.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #31
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
The GBA was a magical machine. The games I most vividly remember are

I had that game. Watching that clip makes me want to break out my DVDs for the show.

Quote:
The GBA was pretty cool and advanced at the time. Also, it's funny how nowadays people look back at it as having a pretty good games library, but back then a lot of people complained about it having many NES and SNES ports of games.
I remember it coming out a month after I finished college. It sucked not being able to get one since I didn't have a job and I was broke. My first game for it was Wario Land 4.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #32
Bison
Banned

The Sega Genesis was the first video game console that I felt like was mine. I had played Super Mario Bros for NES, but I was really impressed by the graphics of the Sega Genesis at the time. Sonic the Hedgehog, Aladdin, and Jurassic Park were some of the best.

Nintendo 64 took gaming to a new level for me with 3D worlds and better graphics. Super Mario 64 is still impressive.

Overall, I'll go with Nintendo 64 as my defining console, because the gaming experience felt so immersive.
Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

If we're strict about "childhood", I'll say SNES. I had an Atari and an NES, but the SNES was king for most of my childhood. It could be a coin toss between the NES and SNES, but the SNES was by far superior and I probably spent more hours with it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If we're strict about "childhood", I'll say SNES. I had an Atari and an NES, but the SNES was king for most of my childhood. It could be a coin toss between the NES and SNES, but the SNES was by far superior and I probably spent more hours with it.
To me childhood, in the strict sense of the word, is life before you become a teenager. But the closer I get to 30 the more I consider my teen years, at least the ones from 13 to 17 as part of my childhood as well.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
To me childhood, in the strict sense of the word, is life before you become a teenager. But the closer I get to 30 the more I consider my teen years, at least the ones from 13 to 17 as part of my childhood as well.
I also included my teenage/high school years since you're basically still growing even then. I still felt somewhat youthful all throughout college as well, even though I was 21 when I finished. I guess you could say I included that portion for good measure.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I also included my teenage/high school years since you're basically still growing even then. I still felt somewhat youthful all throughout college as well, even though I was 21 when I finished. I guess you could say I included that portion for good measure.
Nah that I don't, but maybe when I'm 40 I might consider 18-22 part of my childhood as well
Old 09-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #37
Icebot
Foot Elite

As a kid, I only had NES/ SNES and game boy. I didn’t own a sega genesis but my next door neighbor had one and I played it a lot.

I got Nintendo 64 for my 19th birthday.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #38
The Green Ranger
Thug

Easily the SNES.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #39
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I see the fanboy and fangirl discussions as something for younger children (like between 6-10 or something)
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #40
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I see the fanboy and fangirl discussions as something for younger children (like between 6-10 or something)
Tell that to the teenagers and adults who partake in that garbage.