The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #201
Peanut
Second Gear

Agreed with both of you.

Incredibly nostalgic.

Up until I got my iPhone a few months ago (worst mistake of my life) I was using the DKR opening theme music as my alarm. Started every day in a great mood.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #202
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I never could master the Rooster. He handled like a brick, if I remember.

I used Tiptup quite a bit... mostly on account of the fact that I love the irony of a turtle being in a race.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #203
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't understand why Mario Kart never had a story/adventure mode like Diddy Kong Racing did. Instead of just standard GP single player prix, there should be some sort of story mode.

Even F-zero GX on Gamecube had a story mode. Just think of how fun Mario animated CG cutscenes would be linking together a story mode. They sort of did this with the Mario Golf and Tennis games too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #204
Ninjinister
無問題

How did the DS version of DKR hold up to the original? I know they replaced some characters that went with Rare when they broke away from Nintendo, but I'm not sure what else.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #205
Peanut
Second Gear

It was a really great remake that improved upon the original in every way. It had a bunch of new tracks, improved graphics and framerate, the music was improved, it added a bunch of multiplayer modes and it made characters like Wizpig and Taj playable characters. Banjo and Conker got replaced by Dixie and I think Tiny, but it could have been some other Kong.

It was great, although I recall people still sh*t on it the way some did the original DKR, but to a much greater extent.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #206
CyberCubed
Overlord

They removed the voice acting from the game, which was a major complaint. The bosses no longer speak to you like they did in the N64 one.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #207
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
It really is incredible. Outside of a very select few games the majority of it is just hampered by the growing pains of 3D gaming.
Yup, yup, yup. The N64 Castlevania entries come to mind. PlayStation gets Symphony of the Night, which still rocks and still holds up, looks fantastic, and has an amazing gothic rock/classical/techno soundtrack.

And the N64 gets...Castlevania 64. Not an improvement.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #208
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
It was a really great remake that improved upon the original in every way. It had a bunch of new tracks, improved graphics and framerate, the music was improved, it added a bunch of multiplayer modes and it made characters like Wizpig and Taj playable characters. Banjo and Conker got replaced by Dixie and I think Tiny, but it could have been some other Kong.

It was great, although I recall people still sh*t on it the way some did the original DKR, but to a much greater extent.
Sounds good! A purchase may be in my future.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #209
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

My copy of Judge Dredd should be arriving within the week. Monday, worst case scenario.

Some additions to my official "Want List":

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior [purchased]
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II

Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II

Killer Instinct

Super Mario All-Stars
[purchased]

The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare [purchased]

Hit the Ice [purchased]

ClayFighter 2: Judgment Clay [purchased]

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
TMNT: Tournament Fighters

Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
[purchased]
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Judge Dredd
[purchased]

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Super Tennis

Star Fox
[acquired via Peanut]

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Super Punch-Out!!

WWF Royal Rumble

Saw (an admittedly pretty sh*tty-looking) copy of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs go for about $20 a couple days ago. Also spotted a Super Famicom Yoshi's Island cart for a decent price -- much more decent than any SNES copies I've been able to find.

Added Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts to my list mainly out of love for Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins, which to my mind is still one of the only reasons anyone should have for owning a PSP. An amazing mix of 2D gameplay and gorgeous 3D graphics, and exclusive to the system. Probably one of the best overlooked games of the '00s.

...And WWF Royal Rumble, well, because it's all sorts of old-school.

Last edited by Ecto Jedi; 07-09-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #210
Peanut
Second Gear

Hahaha! I like "acquired via Peanut" a lot.

I've got a long standing history with WWF Royal Rumble for the SNES that I'm still really fond of. I own the game, but haven't played it in years. We used to spent hours playing Royal Rumbles, tricking the awful AI into essentially throwing themselves out of the ring, while listening to "hot tunes". That game and Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business" are forever linked in my mind.

BTW checking out your list, I'm going to definately recommend going for the Super Famicom version of Yoshi's Island. That's a game that has been climbing steadily, especially for copies in good condition.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #211
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

Haven't been buying a lot lately but I did score a copy of Castle of Illusion & a minty Hyperstone Heist recently pretty reasonably even though I don't have a Genesis yet. It even has the instruction booklet and a Konami poster telling me how great the 16 bits is.
Spoiler:

How big are your guys'es NES/SNES collections? Mine's a pretty meager 16 NES and 25 SNES and some of those are crap. And then there's some stuff I've played the crap out of on VC, but I still feel the need to buy a cart (like Super Metroid). There's just a never ending list of stuff I want. NES Top Loader too, man.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #212
Peanut
Second Gear

Nice picks, man! I'd love to find some decent Genesis games around here, but it's somehow more barren than the SNES scene. It doesn't help I'm not interested in cart-only Genesis games, I guess.

Anyways, my collections aren't huge, because I'm only ever buying things I want. I've got about 25 NES games, 40 SNES games and 7 Famicom/Super Famicom games, as I just started collecting those recently/within the year. The majority of that stuff is from my childhood, or late teens when I collected a couple of things I wanted as a kid.

I've got a huge list of wants and sometimes it's hard to stop myself from just going crazy and wasting thousands of dollars on stuff. I especially went a little nuts when the rumors about next-gen consoles requiring online connections and verification started to pop up. It made me feel real nostalgic for when games were just games and that's when I started pulling stuff out of storage.

I'm honestly perfectly happy with the majority of my collections, because I'm not the type of person who wants "everything" or needs to buying incredibly rare and expensive games just to feel like my collection is "complete". There's no end of people on the Internet who seem to want to show off their huge collections, but it's so hard to see shelves upon shelves filled with filler sh*t. We talked about it earlier in the thread, but I think a curated collection is infinitely more interesting than a collection filled with every POS you can get your hands on. Yeah, I could own 300 NES games, but 99% of them would be absolute trash I wouldn't want to play, or have no attachment to.

That's why it's so interesting for me to watch Ecto J start up his collection and collect games he's always wanted, games he hasn't played in years, or games he's never had the pleasure of diving into. To me, the story behind why someone has something, or the reason they had to have that one game for their collection is so much more interesting than dude who has a roomed piled with sh*t he'll never touch.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #213
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

I don't feel the need to own everything either. I just really want the ones that are fun and that I know I enjoy. My Wii currently serves as a pretty great emulator for things I've never tried before or that are out of my price range but nothing is better than hooking the real console up and holding that controller in hand. I have a suspicion that the NES Top loader would function a little better than my original model. I replaced the connector pin when I bought it, but it's still a little temperamental getting some games to work. Though I probably really need to clean them up better. I don't have the bits to open them up so I've only cleaned the contacts as much as I can with Q-tips. I played a little DuckTales and Simon's Quest tonight. (What a horrible night to have a curse.)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #214
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo View Post
How big are your NES/SNES collections? Mine's a pretty meager 16 NES and 25 SNES and some of those are crap. And then there's some stuff I've played the crap out of on VC, but I still feel the need to buy a cart (like Super Metroid). There's just a never ending list of stuff I want. NES top loader too, man.
14 NES games:
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Super Mario Bros. 3
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
TMNT II: The Arcade Game
Super Mario Bros. 2
The Legend of Zelda
Crystalis
Little Nemo the Dream Master
StarTropics
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
DuckTales
Metroid

16 SNES games:
Super Mario World
Street Fighter II
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Star Fox
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat II
Donkey Kong Country
Super Metroid
Illusion of Gaia
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

For the SNES, I used to own NBA Jam and The Lion King.

I remember people my age back in the day claiming to have a whole lot of NES games, and I only ended up with just ten games during the time the NES was active. I was a bit of a late bloomer anyway. I didn't get an NES until late 1989, and I started off with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt since I got the Action Set. It's the latter four games in my list that I ended up getting much later. Also, my mother was rather frugal about buying me games.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #215
Peanut
Second Gear

Still trying to find a decent copy of Little Nemo. The thing is cheap online, but for some reason I haven't pulled the trigger. Few places I've gone to recently are selling it for $20, which is way beyond worth. One of those nostalgic rental games I got a bunch as a kid that I have a real hard time recalling and that I haven't played since. I'm really looking forward to sitting down with it once I get my hands on it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #216
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Since I was playing Tetris on my Game Boy a lot in December, I thought about getting the NES version, but decided against it since it's basically the same game as the Game Boy version. Plus I can take the Game Boy version anywhere.

I forgot that I had a copy of Maniac Mansion. I got it used from someone on eBay, and it was cartridge only. I ended up selling it because I needed money anyway, and I couldn't bring myself to play it again.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #217
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Since I was playing Tetris on my Game Boy a lot in December, I thought about getting the NES version, but decided against it since it's basically the same game as the Game Boy version. Plus I can take the Game Boy version anywhere.
Heh, I just sold my NES version of Tetris on ebay about a month ago.

I have Tetris on DS as my "ultimate Tetris" so I sold off all the redundant versions I had. I never realized how many different versions of Tetris I had until I started looking through my games.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #218
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

I like the music better on Gameboy Tetris than NES. And the little cut scenes.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #219
Peanut
Second Gear

I got a boxed copy of Tetris recently that was in really good shape and played it for the first time in 20+ years. Like Storm Eagle I'd probably still rather play the Gameboy version, preferably on Super Gameboy, than the NES version. I don't think I'll ever use an actual Gameboy ever again.

Speaking of old puzzle games, any favourites here outside of Tetris? I absolutely loved Dr. Mario, but never owned it as a kid. My sister actually bought me a complete mint copy not too long ago and I felt like a kid again.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #220
Super Moderator

I actually loved Yoshie's Cookie. Is that bad?
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games