The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #81
inaheap
Mad Scientist

These look great. Definitely in for that master Splinter.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #82
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Yeah, guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Not sure what makes you think only Mikey’s head is on model. The sculpts are almost identical.

And no, I don’t think it’s the last you’ll see of FW styled Turtles.
The Classic Collection and NECA Retro Collection 2 pack sculpts are off because the turtles in both FW cartoons did not show the bottom row of teeth when the turtles got angry. The front teeth of the turtles was rarely shown in the FW cartoon, also. You would never know that the turtles had teeth from most of the clips of the FW cartoon. The model sheets posted here did not even show Donatello with teeth. The Classic Collection Michelangelo head sculpt looks to be the only head sculpt from the 80s to today that looks screen accurate to Michelangelo from the 1987 opening. The other turtle head sculpts from Playmates and NECA were inaccurate.

There might be FW turtles made by different companies in the future, but the head sculpt to Classic Collection Michelangelo is the only one from this century that looks screen accurate so far.

Last edited by mikey0; 08-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #83
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Can anyone explain the way subscriptions work for this company?
Charged once a month? All at once for a lot of figures?

Just wondering if the sub will be the only way to acquire these.
If I remember correctly, you pay a fee for subscription which is usually around the same price for a figure say $30-40.
The subscription means you are preordering all the figures released per year. When it's close to shipping you will be charged for the figure.
But often there is a subscription exclusive figure online included when you subscribe and the subscription fee covers for it. Still have to pay shipping on everything.

Alternative may be Big Bad Toy store or Entertainment Earth.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #84
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
If I remember correctly, you pay a fee for subscription which is usually around the same price for a figure say $30-40.
The subscription means you are preordering all the figures released per year. When it's close to shipping you will be charged for the figure.
But often there is a subscription exclusive figure online included when you subscribe and the subscription fee covers for it.
I don't remember Super7 ever using that kind of subscription model. That sounds like Mattycollector.

In the past you have had to commit to the whole wave from Super7, and go to BBTS if you wanted to cherry-pick and were okay with the mark-up. That said, recent He-Man and Skeletor figures from Super7 were available for individual purchase.

But my gut feeling is you will have to commit to all four figures during a pre-order period. If that's the case I will buy the wave and try to sell Baxter and the Foot soldier if that works out to be more affordable than buting Raph and Splinter from BBTS. (Which it might be since demand for Baxter seems high, as I imagine the Foot soldier would be as an army builder.)
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #85
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Classic Collection and NECA Retro Collection 2 pack sculpts are off because the turtles in both FW cartoons did not show the bottom row of teeth when the turtles got angry. The front teeth of the turtles was rarely shown in the FW cartoon, also. You would never know that the turtles had teeth from most of the clips of the FW cartoon. The model sheets posted here did not even show Donatello with teeth. The Classic Collection Michelangelo head sculpt looks to be the only head sculpt from the 80s to today that looks screen accurate to Michelangelo from the 1987 opening. The other turtle head sculpts from Playmates and NECA were inaccurate.

There might be FW turtles made by different companies in the future, but the head sculpt to Classic Collection Michelangelo is the only one from this century that looks screen accurate so far.

Okay, so its the teeth? Dude, there’s WAY more wrong, than just the teeth. No, they are not toon accurate, at all.

They look like the model sheet, except for the teeth, but one would assume, they had teeth, given they’ve always had teeth.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #86
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Okay, so its the teeth? Dude, there’s WAY more wrong, than just the teeth. No, they are not toon accurate, at all.

They look like the model sheet, except for the teeth, but one would assume, they had teeth, given they’ve always had teeth.
Yea, he really cares about those teeth.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #87
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

The 1980s to 2010s Turtles merchandise featured the cartoon turtles with teeth, not the FW cartoon. The Playmates and NECA figures were supposed to be modeled after the FW toon turtles, instead we got lazy attempts at the FW turtles. Classic Collection Michelangelo had the best head sculpt out of all of the Playmates and NECA FW toon figures.

FW cartoon fans should buy a Classic Collection Michelangelo head off of EBay and attach it to a keyring or make remolds of it in case they lose it.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #88
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
Yea, he really cares about those teeth.
You don’t? You want Retro Collection turtles (Classic Collection for the most part) and Retro Collection and FW cartoon mashup turtles (NECA Target 2 packs and CC Michelangelo) instead of 100 percent accurate FW cartoon sculpts?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #89
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
You don’t? You want Retro Collection turtles (Classic Collection for the most part) and Retro Collection and FW cartoon mashup turtles (NECA Target 2 packs and CC Michelangelo) instead of 100 percent accurate FW cartoon sculpts?
How do I post images?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #90
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
How do I post images?
You have to press the box with the twin mountain peaks and sun in it, erase the “http” part from the white rectangle, and then paste your link in the white rectangle and press “ok”.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #91
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Evidently, 99% accurate is fine with me.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #92
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

when will these go up for preorder ?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #93
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
Evidently, 99% accurate is fine with me.
The NECA TMNT 2 pack figures are a far cry from being 99% accurate. The head sculpts, arms, and legs of the NECA TMNT 2 pack figures are off. And what is the name of the NECA TMNT 2 pack toy line, exclusive GameStop figures, and 1/4 scale figures? The Super7 TMNT toy lines, at least, are called “Ultimate” figures and ReAction figures. All of this begs the question—will collector toylines even have names for them in the future? It will be a lot harder to find the NECA TMNT line stuff from the 2000s and 2010s in 2078 in online retailers because so many other company made editions of the characters NECA is producing now will have been made by 2078.

I don’t see screen accurate FW cartoon characters being made anytime sooner in this century, but more renditions of the Retro Collection turtles are on the way.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #94
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
The NECA TMNT 2 pack figures are a far cry from being 99% accurate. The head sculpts, arms, and legs of the NECA TMNT 2 pack figures are off. And what is the name of the NECA TMNT 2 pack toy line, exclusive GameStop figures, and 1/4 scale figures? The Super7 TMNT toy lines, at least, are called “Ultimate” figures and ReAction figures. All of this begs the question—will collector toylines even have names for them in the future? It will be a lot harder to find the NECA TMNT line stuff from the 2000s and 2010s in 2078 in online retailers because so many other company made editions of the characters NECA is producing now will have been made by 2078.

I don’t see screen accurate FW cartoon characters being made anytime sooner in this century, but more renditions of the Retro Collection turtles are on the way.
Aside from teeth, what else are you bothered by? And what’s your concern with what happens in 2078?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #95
DJSoulPole
Thug

I was super excited to see these but yeah I’m feeling kinda underwhelmed. Here’s my pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Great sculpts, articulation, and paint. Four Horsemen sculptured. I never had qc issues with S7 despite online complaints. S7 customer service will take care of you either way.

2. Easy to purchase through preorder system.

3. Plans to go deep in the line with characters. Awesome release schedule. Incredible possibilities considering MOTU is on hiatus.

4. Creative accessories not seen anywhere before.

5. Scale and look matching S7 Thundercats, MOTU, and other cool lines.

6. Almost certainly will increase in value over time for most figures considering MOTUC and popularity of TMNT.

Cons:

1. Hard to justify collecting for nostalgia purposes since they look so much like the easily accessible originals.

2. Steep $45 prices and lots of premium shelf/box space considering point 1.

3. For now the painted sprus are the plan with ugly marks if you make the incredibly tough decision to even separate the weapons.

4. Out of scale with lots of other lines and vehicles. Vintage Cheapskate will work well but definitely not most vehicles.

5. Hard to imagine any vehicles will be produced outside a possible van.

6. Highly doubtful we get into fun variants for a while.

7. Uncertain future. Considering NECA competition and price it’s tough to see this line going as far as MOTUC, especially considering all the TMNT variants.

Just what I’m thinking about right now. Vintage TMNT prices are low and I’m not sure if we will get the MOTUCesque line we’ve all been dreaming of. An in-scale van and Technodrome would more than make up the cons for me. Snake Mountain is happening so anything is possible.
DJSoulPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #96
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Man, too much attention for the vintage line and nothing for the other versions, I know, nostalgia, nostalgia, but on a market full of vintage stuff, doing different will be appealing for collectors
TMNachoT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #97
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNachoT View Post
Man, too much attention for the vintage line and nothing for the other versions, I know, nostalgia, nostalgia, but on a market full of vintage stuff, doing different will be appealing for collectors
Like what?
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #98
sdp
Megan Fox = April

My problem with the figures besides the price is that they're a little too close to the originals. I would've preferred a more "in the style" of the original toyline rather than remaking the toyline for adults. I wanted something more similar to the Mondo TMNT figures, that the turtles looked more like the artwork of the toys not the actual toys.\

Still think it's awesome this is happening.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #99
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Probably not by your standards, I guess. I think you’re nitpicky, and pretty much outright wrong. But whatevs.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #100
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Aside from teeth, what else are you bothered by? And what’s your concern with what happens in 2078?
The arms and legs. Everything is on point.

How will the NECA and all of these non-Playmates Toys be cataloged online before 2078?