The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #221
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

I think the problem is....having your Title/Superhero name....."something-girl" when you are actually a women...

what if Superman was "SuperBoy"??? that doesn't sound right....does "BatBoy" sound better??

If Kara is a women...then she should be called "SuperWOMEN" ...same with PowerGirl...I mean what's up with that XD???

SpiderBoy...lol XD

(Though if a character is in college and in their early 20's then it doesn't bother me) ^_^
Old 11-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #222
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
I think the problem is....having your Title/Superhero name....."something-girl" when you are actually a women...

what if Superman was "SuperBoy"??? that doesn't sound right....does "BatBoy" sound better??
https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...rsuqo1_400.gif

If Kara is a women...then she should be called "SuperWOMEN" ...same with PowerGirl...I mean what's up with that XD???

SpiderBoy...lol XD

(Though if a character is in college and in their early 20's then it doesn't bother me) ^_^
Well technically Superman did use to go by Superboy back when he was younger, but I'm guessing that's not the point your trying to make.

But seriously, I find nothing wrong with a female hero going by either "Something-Girl/Woman". A name doesn't make them any less of a hero. And I prefer names like "Power Girl" and such.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #223
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not to mention in comics, using girl or woman in their names represents two different characters.

For example Wonder Woman and Wondergirl, or Batgirl and Batwoman, or Spider-girl and Spiderwoman, and so forth.

They should drop the "girl/woman" from the names altogether. Starfire, Raven, Miss Martian, etc. all don't need girl/woman in their superhero names.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #224
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Not to mention in comics, using girl or woman in their names represents two different characters.

For example Wonder Woman and Wondergirl, or Batgirl and Batwoman, or Spider-girl and Spiderwoman, and so forth.

They should drop the "girl/woman" from the names altogether. Starfire, Raven, Miss Martian, etc. all don't need girl/woman in their superhero names.
I'm just saying it's kinda funny how it's okay for Women to have "Girl" in their name (as a superhero) but weird for a man to have "Boy" in their name.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #225
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
I'm just saying it's kinda funny how it's okay for Women to have "Girl" in their name (as a superhero) but weird for a man to have "Boy" in their name.
Probably because addressing a grown man as a "boy" is a lot more weirder. There's really nothing wrong for a female hero, regardless of age, going by either "girl" or "woman".

Old 11-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #226
Leo656
The Franchise

Jesus Christ.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #227
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Jesus Christ.
I don't think he'll be making an appearance in the first season.

But the point that I was trying to make before was that I want to see her standing on her own, not just being an extension of whatever that covert government organization is called.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #228
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

http://screenrant.com/most-weird-sup...ies-comics-dc/

This was too good not to post. This list is a poisoned well, from which NO stories or material should be adapted.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #229
CyberCubed
Overlord

Supergirl from S:TAS and JLU was pretty well written. But it was the Bruce Timm DCAU so its expected.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #230
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
http://screenrant.com/most-weird-sup...ies-comics-dc/

This was too good not to post. This list is a poisoned well, from which NO stories or material should be adapted.
Ah, the Silver Age. Such a very strange, whacky good time...

Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #231
TLP
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Supergirl from S:TAS and JLU was pretty well written. But it was the Bruce Timm DCAU so its expected.
Well, except her extremely rushed relationship with Brainiac 5 in the Legion of Superheroes episode. She barely knew the guy, even attacked him before immediately changing her mind, and she ultimately decided to stay in the future?

That has always bugged me.
TLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #232
CyberCubed
Overlord

Comics now are just as bad, only for completely different reasons. Instead of campy and cheesy, now they're all dark and brooding with awful plot twists that go nowhere. Or they completely change a character to a completely different personality to the point where they're nothing like their former self.

Makes you wonder why people still read comics nowadays outside a few decent series.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #233
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Makes you wonder why people still read comics nowadays outside a few decent series.
It's called "supporting the industry". People aren't going to stop reading comics all together just because of bad storytelling in certain series.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #234
Allio
Foot Elite

welp, I think I have decided to drop Supergirl.

Quote:

to be fair, most of those comes from the fact that they are related to characters like Superman and Batman
Old 11-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #235
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
It's called "supporting the industry". People aren't going to stop reading comics all together just because of bad storytelling in certain series.
I wouldn't support an industry if they weren't putting out good material. For the same reasons I wouldn't watch a TV show that is mediocre or poor even if its part of a franchise I like.

The only comics I read nowadays is IDW TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo. I did take a glance at some of the new Star Wars stuff but I haven't kept up with it. The new Star Wars comics seem decent so far though.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #236
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
I wouldn't support an industry if they weren't putting out good material. For the same reasons I wouldn't watch a TV show that is mediocre or poor even if its part of a franchise I like.
So because some comic series are telling bad stories, a person should stop reading comics all together and not support the actual good stuff? That's nuts.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #237
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I wish Melissa Benoist had a little more muscle on her, I saw an interview for the show and she talked about being a role model for girls and flexed and there was absolutely nothing there, I wasn't expecting her to be ripped and I thought Gal Gadot worked well enough as WW. I'm glad the show isn't going to be super dark, a character like Supergirl doesn't need that a fun show should be umm..well fun. Since crossovers aren't likely to happen I hope they at least don't outright contradict the other DC shows continuities or make vague references to appease fans. I would really like to see Supergirl in her other outfits she has worn through out the years, I personally grew up with the 90s white shirt costume so I'd like to see it at least once even if it's just her walking around town on a blue skirt and white shirt with the superman logo. But I guess they probably want to be very careful they don't "sexualize" the character with some of those outfits since they'll be attacked with the over reacting social media we have these days.

I need to catch up on my DC shows now that they're on Netflix, but I'll probably wait after I finish the Clone Wars show and watch the new SW movie before going into full DC mode. While I'm excited I also feel a little overwhelmed, I now have to watch Green Arrow, Flash, Gotham but next year I'll be watching those three but also adding that new Legends show and Supergirl plus any other DC shows they greenlight. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see so much DC content available, I wanted more after watching the first season of Arrow, I just don't want to be burned out like I was with Marvel properties and their 3+ films a year.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #238
Leo656
The Franchise

The problem with adapting Supergirl is that she's never really been presented all that well to start with, so there's not much good material to borrow from. There are few Great or even truly memorable Supergirl stories from the comics. She was created as a superfluous add-on character in the hopes it would give little girls who were bored with their Lois Lane comics something else to spend their dime on, and wasn't really "allowed" to do anything too important for decades. Her status for years as "Superman's Secret Weapon" kept her purposefully off to the side of any major action, because she was "still learning how to use her powers" and all that, so most of her adventures were rather insipid due to how badly they were handcuffed creatively. I mean, the most memorable stuff from the "Golden Age" of Supergirl stories, is when her magical horse wanted to bang her. She also had a flying cat... and that's about it.

By the time they decided to give Supergirl a serious "push" in the 80s, her whole "Gee Whiz!" personality was severely outdated, and since that was her sole defining characteristic for years and years, it kind of left her in a weird place where her semi-annual costume changes were a bigger deal than anything she actually did, because nobody could figure out what kind of personality she has, and 30 years later they STILL haven't figured it out. Like, her relaunch in 2005 or so was supposed to be all "back to basics", but then they turned her into an anorexic Bratz doll with a cape, who'd rather not be a super-hero because she hates human beings because she feels they're inferior to her and oh my God most Supergirl comics are obscenely awful.

Every TV and movie adaptation struggles, because there's still no solid template about WHO Supergirl even is, because she's always just been "Superman's Cousin, That's Good Enough", and then they forgot to actually give her a second and third dimension. And when they do, it's often fumbled, like the way it's been in the books for the past decade.

Pretty much the only time Supergirl ever "worked" in the comics, was when Peter David wrote it. And he only managed it by discarding every single thing that had ever been established about the character and starting over from scratch. Which is usually a sh*tty thing to do and a sign of supreme arrogance on the part of the writer, but... it was kind of the only way. It's STILL the best version of the character, and she's not even Superman's cousin or anything. But she IS a fully-developed character whose story has a beginning, middle, and an end... something Kara Zor-El has never been.

In brief, I really love the idea of Supergirl and how good it can be, but the execution has always been a mixed bag at best. This show is pretty much the "best" so far, as in it's the least-offensive version that the most people are familiar with, but man, that's an incredibly low bar to clear. I will say that Benoist herself - other than some of the awful dialog they force-feed her - is pretty much dead-on with her portrayal of the character. For whatever else is wrong with the show, I already feel like she's going to be the "definitive" version of the character to people for a really long time.

And that's great. I just wish lots of what was going on around her was way better.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #239
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Am I one of the women being referred to?

He was ASKING if you were bothered. So I guess the answer to your question is- ARE you one of those women who refer to themselves and their friends as girls? It seemed pretty simple to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You did say it's demeaning when the word is used to refer to a grown woman, so I was just curious. Chill.

I've never thought it demeaning unless used in a derogatory context. IE- "You're (just) a girl!" when said to a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I wasn't aware I was upset, but thanks for letting me know? I guess?

Apparently, you are, if you're getting defensive about it. Why do you always turn everything into an attack on women, or you personally? The world's NOT out to get you, sweetie. Unless you really want it to be....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #240
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Apparently, you are, if you're getting defensive about it. Why do you always turn everything into an attack on women, or you personally? The world's NOT out to get you, sweetie. Unless you really want it to be....
Shhh! Don't feed her those complacent lies! The world really IS out to get her. And you. And me.

<tightens velcro straps on tinfoil helmet>

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to turn the tables and start hunting the lizard people. The hunted has become the hunter...