The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #121
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

And here I thought Marvel had a problem with quips!
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #122
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Awesome new trailer, I can't wait to see this movie.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #123
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Nah, the weird political "in your face" will come after the movie...should it flop.
Because then it'll be blamed on the fact that it's a Lady movie, and how Lady movies don't make money, because dudes won't watch Lady movies.
This. I can't go into a youtube comments section where WW is the topic were some one does not cause a **** storm bitching about this issue. What's funny is they are often the louder more obnoxious complainers about this than the so called PC Nazis people ruining media entertainment. No thanks. I watch the trailer and move along, anytime I've been tempted to scroll down to the comments I see this. Sometimes it's the top comment.

Oh and people need to stop comparing this to Marvel.

Any way I really like the that this is actually taking place in the World War I now. It sort of makes sense. The scene where the Trevor's solders are on the island and they own the Amazons because of their advanced technological weapons seems like a good angle and a legit reason for Diana to leave her island and see whats up with the changes of the world.

Dr. Poison, huh...never actually heard of him. Paula Von Gunther seems like she would be a more worthy adversary for WW. Hope if there is a sequal taking place in World War II that she is a major villain for WW to come up against.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #124
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not sure why plastron is pulling the woman card, most people like Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman is the most popular and well known female superhero in the world.

People are looking forward to this and from what I see everyone is hoping its better than Batman/Superman, not hoping it fails.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #125
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
People are looking forward to this and from what I see everyone is hoping its better than Batman/Superman, not hoping it fails.
I agree. People wanted WB to break all their toys during BvS and see the film fail, and the company did so so thoroughly that now I think people just pity them. I want to think that it's not too late for WB to course-correct. This is the make-or-break for me.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Finally watched the trailer last night. Looks great. Joke at the end of it was a "miss."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #127
Powder
So tired of this place

Looks wack to me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #128
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the only problem with this movie is they'll have to balance screentime with Wonder Woman on the island than the World War 1 scenario.

Plus everything inbetween like Diana getting used to life outside and meeting Steve Trevor and all that. Seems like a lot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #129
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I still think the World War I setting is detrimental to what they're trying to accomplish here. But it'll be OK.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #130
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I still think the World War I setting is detrimental to what they're trying to accomplish here. But it'll be OK.
They can't do WWII because Marvel already did. Pretty sure that's the thinking.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #131
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
They can't do WWII because Marvel already did. Pretty sure that's the thinking.
They shouldn't set it in the past at all.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #132
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
They shouldn't set it in the past at all.
Well... I'd agree on that except for one point: why not show what Ares is capable of by showing him instigating the first global conflict?
I wouldn't mind if it was more in the vein of Batman Begins (back and forth chronologically) but I can see this making sense.

Still, though; it seems pretty stupid to waste supporting characters like Steve Trevor in WWI when there's no way he'll survive. Also, way too Captain America.

So... yeah. I'm with you on that.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #133
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well... I'd agree on that except for one point: why not show what Ares is capable of by showing him instigating the first global conflict?
I'd be OK with flashbacks to that end, but grounding the movie in the (now) distant, kind of alien past with a non-human leading lady is as bad of an idea as it is unnecessary. Every reboot of the Wonder Woman comics have had Zero to do with WWI or WWII (I think at one point, John Byrne sort of retconned the Golden Age WW's WWII adventures to be those of Diana's mom, not Diana, but that's it).

It's just a mix of trying to -- very strangely, and needlessly -- appease on some level the fans of the 70s TV show and yeah, follow the Captain American model.

Quote:
Still, though; it seems pretty stupid to waste supporting characters like Steve Trevor in WWI when there's no way he'll survive. Also, way too Captain America.
Maybe he gets whisked away to an alternate dimension/Olympus Land or something, then plucked out of it later in the present at the end, or at a critical moment in the Justice League movie or something (the idea being, maybe, they can be fish out of water together? would sort of make sense). It is weird that he would sign on for something that appears to be so tiny. I wonder if the reports from way back about him having his pick of either Green Lantern and Steve Trevor were true.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #134
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I'd be OK with flashbacks to that end, but grounding the movie in the (now) distant, kind of alien past with a non-human leading lady is as bad of an idea as it is unnecessary. Every reboot of the Wonder Woman comics have had Zero to do with WWI or WWII (I think at one point, John Byrne sort of retconned the Golden Age WW's WWII adventures to be those of Diana's mom, not Diana, but that's it).

It's just a mix of trying to -- very strangely, and needlessly -- appease on some level the fans of the 70s TV show and yeah, follow the Captain American model.

Maybe he gets whisked away to an alternate dimension/Olympus Land or something, then plucked out of it later in the present at the end, or at a critical moment in the Justice League movie or something (the idea being, maybe, they can be fish out of water together? would sort of make sense). It is weird that he would sign on for something that appears to be so tiny. I wonder if the reports from way back about him having his pick of either Green Lantern and Steve Trevor were true.
I think I'd have gone with Green Lantern instead. ESPECIALLY considering that Steve Trevor would be nothing more than the boy toy... and now the long-dead boy toy.

Ah well.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #135
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I think I'd have gone with Green Lantern instead. ESPECIALLY considering that Steve Trevor would be nothing more than the boy toy... and now the long-dead boy toy.

Ah well.
My point is, if that was true, then Pine knows something we don't about Trevor (i.e., somehow comes to the present day). No reason he would turn down GL if it was just some one off thing.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #136
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
My point is, if that was true, then Pine knows something we don't about Trevor (i.e., somehow comes to the present day). No reason he would turn down GL if it was just some one off thing.
I think he'd turn down Green Lantern just because the previous GL is so hated. A new property being less of a risk than a previous, failed property.

So, no, I don't think Trevor will be brought to the present day somehow.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #137
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
So, no, I don't think Trevor will be brought to the present day somehow.
I dunno. The way the comics guys seem to have setup stuff in the New52 seems awful suspiciously in line with what the DC Cinematic Universe is turning out to be, particularly with Geoff Johns at the relative forefront of both things.

And in the New52 Steve Trevor is a big part of it. He's like a military counterpart to Amanda Waller. I think Dick Grayson was reporting to him during the whole "Grayson" thing with him as a secret agent.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #138
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I dunno. The way the comics guys seem to have setup stuff in the New52 seems awful suspiciously in line with what the DC Cinematic Universe is turning out to be, particularly with Geoff Johns at the relative forefront of both things.

And in the New52 Steve Trevor is a big part of it. He's like a military counterpart to Amanda Waller. I think Dick Grayson was reporting to him during the whole "Grayson" thing with him as a secret agent.
Dead granddad Steve Trevor does seem like a pretty poor creative decision.

BUT.

Exhibit A: The DCEU has already killed off prominent Superman supporting characters Jimmy Olsen and Mercy Graves.

Exhibit B: The DCEU seems to be showing that all of the JL members are withdrawn, isolated, and alone. Superman has Lois and Martha, and he's got the most. Bruce has Alfred. Barry Allen says that he needs "friends." Diana appears to be alone in the world, ESPECIALLY if Steve is indeed dead. And Aquaman only has Mera... It seems that thematically, Wonder Woman not having anybody might fit in better with their narrative than if she has her former lover somehow having followed her through time somehow.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #139
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
I
actually in the Grayson series, Dick was reporting to a retconned Helena Bertinelli.
she was turned from Vigilante into one of the high ranking agents of Spyral.
that series was interesting in the beginning but ended with a thud.

it'll be interesting to see if they can somehow bring Pine's Trevor into the present.
guess time will tell?
i still would have liked to have seen what he could have done as Hal Jordan.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #140
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
actually in the Grayson series, Dick was reporting to a retconned Helena Bertinelli.
she was turned from Vigilante into one of the high ranking agents of Spyral.
that series was interesting in the beginning but ended with a thud.

it'll be interesting to see if they can somehow bring Pine's Trevor into the present.
guess time will tell?
i still would have liked to have seen what he could have done as Hal Jordan.
You mean Huntress. And she's back to Huntress again, apparently. I miss the pre-New52 Huntress, though.

And maybe Pine turned down Green Lantern because it was too similar to Captain Kirk and he wanted a different type of role? Kirk and Jordan are both pretty similar; cocky overconfident ladies men who reached impressive rank at a young age.

Tags
wonder woman