Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Kevin Eastman Brings up Director's Cut of 1990's TMNT

Kevin B. Eastman added 6 new photos.
16 mins ·

So many wonderful memories about today 28 years ago! This first film will always be the peak for me, of all the film and entertainment projects we worked on with the TMNT's. I have spoken with Steve Barron and Brian Henson over the last few decades - about the rumored "Directors Cut" of the film that was never released - I understand a version exists - I have personally seen several scenes that were filmed and cut from the final film - but getting Steve and Brian to dig up the material and see what it would take to pull it together would take a barrage of requests to New Line Warner Bros (who own all the rights now) maybe even a Kickstarter to raise the funds to get it back out there... Think we should give it a shot? Let me know what you think.

From Kevin's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.b.eas...67306376802389

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 03-30-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Man, I hope this footage sees the light of day. I'd even just take the deleted scenes just as bonus features if it meant getting decent special features. I'd even be okay if they simply included the workprint, like The Burbs. Something's better than nothing...
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:47 AM   #3
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

With all the attention the 1990 movie is getting from NECA I don't see anything wrong with becoming a thing. I, along with the rest of everyone on here, would be so damned thrilled.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #4
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I mean ... I'm sure everyone here would be 100% for it, but I wonder how much of a strangle hold Viacom would put on the release of it at all or if they'd want to get a piece of the action? I'm not sure of the full legality, but if Warner Bros. owns the "movie rights" possibly, does Viacom own half of the merchandising rights ... hence why NECA is forced to slap the giant Nickelodeon logo on all the boxes for their 1990 products? I'm not sure and hopefully someone can enlighten me! Ha.

I've been wanting a "Director's Cut" or "Extended Edition" for this movie forever ... and like Leonardo87 said, the movie is getting even more of a resurgence in the eyes of the public with the NECA line doing so well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that for the 30th anniversary we'll see something ... so maybe in 2020 at this point.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I’d love to but if it doesn’t happen I’m content with what we have.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Yeah, I mean ... I'm sure everyone here would be 100% for it, but I wonder how much of a strangle hold Viacom would put on the release of it at all or if they'd want to get a piece of the action? I'm not sure of the full legality, but if Warner Bros. owns the "movie rights" possibly, does Viacom own half of the merchandising rights ... hence why NECA is forced to slap the giant Nickelodeon logo on all the boxes for their 1990 products? I'm not sure and hopefully someone can enlighten me! Ha.
The way I understand it, Golden Harvest (or whatever company currently owns GH) owns the film. New Line/WB/Time Warner have the US home video distribution rights. The distribution rights are different throughout the world, hence why Germany has already had a release with a few supplemental features. I'm guessing Viacom would get whatever contracted fee/percentage of the release as per the original contract with Mirage/Surge Licensing.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Rights can often be an agonizing black hole of complexities. There are a ton of legal checkmarks WB would have to go through, but I don't see Viacom roadblocking a new blu ray release. For the most part, the stick in the mud for better releases has been a lack of motivation in spending the money to produce new supplementary material. At this time, the distributors only seems willing to spend the money that it costs to simply reprint and repackage the existing discs.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

If a Kickstarter campaign happens, I would definitely consider pitching in.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

I made a facebook to comment that I would gladly support a directors cut kkckstarter.
I really want this.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

I have to say I'm a little bummed at how little discussion this generated. Hopefully some will go to Kevin's facebook and show support.

This could be our one shot at getting a director's cut.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I have to say I'm a little bummed at how little discussion this generated. Hopefully some will go to Kevin's facebook and show support.

It is a little surprising but at least there's a lot of love for it over on his Facebook page. Maybe something will happen.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:

It's been talked about over & over for like 20 years. The well's run dry on typed enthusiasm. Everyone wants it as bad as they ever did, I'm sure, but they've run out of energy to ask for it after all this time. A lot of false hope has been drummed up over the possibility of this in the last decade.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's been talked about over & over for like 20 years. The well's run dry on typed enthusiasm. Everyone wants it as bad as they ever did, I'm sure, but they've run out of energy to ask for it after all this time. A lot of false hope has been drummed up over the possibility of this in the last decade.
But we’ve never had someone like Kevin, who have a little pull and a big enough pedestal to reach a lot of tmnt fans and friends in the industry suggest starting s kickstarter for an actual director’s cut of the film. And if we don’t show support, the conversation will go on another 20 years, possibly.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
But we’ve never had someone like Kevin, who have a little pull and a big enough pedestal to reach a lot of tmnt fans and friends in the industry suggest starting s kickstarter for an actual director’s cut of the film. And if we don’t show support, the conversation will go on another 20 years, possibly.
Peter Laird once mentioned a vhs copy of the workprint cut with the same on Blast from the Past. This was a LONG time ago, though.

I don't know. We eventually got an approximation of the Richard Donner cut of Superman II, and that seemed like something that would never happen. So who knows?

Also, Shout Factory just announced they were releasing Memoirs of an Invisible Man and In the Mouth of Madness and I'm pretty sure New Line/Warner Bros. legitimately owns those titles. Maybe the chances of them doing a TMNT release has gotten bigger?
Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #15
pferreira
Foot Elite

For some odd reason the original three TMNT movies get little care and attention when it comes out on DVD or blu-ray. I just don't get that considering how successful all them were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
The way I understand it, Golden Harvest (or whatever company currently owns GH) owns the film. New Line/WB/Time Warner have the US home video distribution rights. The distribution rights are different throughout the world, hence why Germany has already had a release with a few supplemental features. I'm guessing Viacom would get whatever contracted fee/percentage of the release as per the original contract with Mirage/Surge Licensing.
I think that might be the reason for why Lost in Space Complete Series Blu-ray hasn't had a UK release yet. I believe someone at Fox told me that was the case.

Quote:
And if we don’t show support, the conversation will go on another 20 years, possibly.
That's how we should think.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #16
bwwd
Hench Mutant

I would back it if they would release all behind the scenes footage as well, not just new scenes, id like to see more footage of turtles on set filmed with normal cameras and not just film cameras.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #17
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Would love to see the Director's Cut with the punk-rock soundtrack that Steve had in mind when shooting it.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Would love to see the Director's Cut with the punk-rock soundtrack that Steve had in mind when shooting it.
Too good to be true. I did like parts of the soundtrack, but this sounds glorious. Wouldn't bet on it, of course.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Not quite punk rock, but music from the producer of The Sex Pistols Marshall McLaren. Could have been classical score mixed with drums and slap bass. Waltz on the Blue Danub can be heard in the trailer and that was sort of the vibe they were going for. Maybe one or two punk rock songs from The Pistols? It would have totally suited the property better.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Not quite punk rock, but music from the producer of The Sex Pistols Marshall McLaren. Could have been classical score mixed with drums and slap bass. Waltz on the Blue Danub can be heard in the trailer and that was sort of the vibe they were going for. Maybe one or two punk rock songs from The Pistols? It would have totally suited the property better.
I like McLaren's remix of Blue Danube. It was fun for a trailer, but Barron's idea of McLaren composing an entire score in that style is one I'm glad didn't come to fruition. Du Prez's score is atmospheric, emotional, upbeat, intense, and hits all the right notes. If it's not broken, don't fix it.