The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #81
Galactus
Foot Elite

^^^

I hope so and the Hollywood Reporter makes some great points of both returning the franchise to its roots as well as eschewing the bigger and funnier approach to comic book movies might make it stand out after they already tried to be the Avengers with shells. (Not that I'm against a big scale TMNT movie the turtles work well in both grounded and big scale)

I will say that the parody aspect of TMNT has always been way overstated and to be honest the things it was sorta parodying aren't even that prominent in comic book related media anymore. Getting a comedy writer doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence that they learned the right lessons from the previous movie.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #82
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Are you saying that someone like Patty Jenkins could not have done a better Superman movie than Zack Snyder? It's not like she's be uninterested as she'd was interested in doing Thor: The Dark World and definitely would have made a better Thor sequel too.
Tough call. Based on "Wonder Woman", I'm sure she'd have done a great rip-off of the Richard Donner film, but that's the last thing I'm interested in seeing at this point. She's still only done two movies, as far as I'm aware, so I'd have to see her diversify her portfolio a bit before I could say, "I want to see Patty Jenkins direct _______." I liked both "Wonder Woman" and "Monster", but that's all I've seen. Hardly makes her a catch-all fit for anything.

Haven't seen "Thor: The Dark World", so I have no opinion on it, or whether anyone could have done it better.

Point being, she's made two good movies, both of which were female-centric. She definitely knows how to make THAT movie, but all things are not equal. Whether or not she'd be a good fit for Batman, Terminator, or Ninja Turtles... we haven't seen enough to make that judgment yet.

It's not like there's such a thing as a universally Great Director who only makes Great Movies. I've seen as much crap as gold from James Cameron by this point, for example. Or Tim Burton, who is capable of magic from time to time but whose stuff is absolutely junk unless he's playing within his very specific interests.

You just never know how a movie is going to turn out until it's in front of your face. That's the rub.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #83
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

White male producers/executives/CEOs who have immense power/influence always seem to give special opportunities/propositions to white male directors/writers.

Like, they never even consider other possible individuals to fulfill these roles.

It's frustrating.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #84
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post

Like, they never even consider other possible individuals to fulfill these roles.
Like who in particular?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #85
Wildcat
Foot Elite

This makes me happy. Not because I loved the last 2 but because we’re getting another movie and because people are probably gonna lose their minds again. There’s already 5 pages here.

It’s surprising but new writers, chairman and I assume director. I can’t help but give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially if it’s not a sequel to the others. Should be much better even if it’s not the greatest.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #86
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Like who in particular?
Maybe they should cast a wider net? Patty Jenkins, Ava Duvernay, Kelly Fremon Craig etc a lot of great choices out there that would make an awesome TMNT film
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #87
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
White male producers/executives/CEOs who have immense power/influence always seem to give special opportunities/propositions to white male directors/writers.

It's frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Like who in particular?
Yeah, really. Since you've obviously been in the rooms where these conversations are held and decisions are made, your insight on this should be spectacular.

Unless... you actually DON'T know, and are just talking to hear yourself.

Also, since you're clearly someone who has been able to infiltrate the highest levels of Hollywood bureaucracy, to the point where you know exactly what decisions they make, and why, I'd be interested in seeing your body of work.

And... go.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #88
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
Maybe they should cast a wider net? Patty Jenkins, Ava Duvernay, Kelly Fremon Craig etc a lot of great choices out there that would make an awesome TMNT film
Maybe. I just can't imagine any self respecting director wanting to work with Platinum Dunes. That's got to be like bottom of the barrel, or at least darn near close.

Plus it's not like any of them were lining up to take a crack at this property after the failure of the last two films.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #89
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:

It's frustrating.
Is it a little early to be pushing your agenda when we don't even know the cast or even director. We literally know nothing about this movie
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #90
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

I had hope when I read the headline this morning. That hope left as soon as I read "Michael Bay"

Goodbye character development, welcome back Megan Fox
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #91
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
This makes me happy. Not because I loved the last 2 but because we’re getting another movie and because people are probably gonna lose their minds again. There’s already 5 pages here.

It’s surprising but new writers, chairman and I assume director. I can’t help but give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially if it’s not a sequel to the others. Should be much better even if it’s not the greatest.
Agree! (even when i liked enough the 2 last ones ...i bought DVDs)
Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My thoughts on this are only negative, bordering on...

Until I see reason to believe otherwise, I see no reason to believe TPTB won't just once again try to find the best way to serve up the best slice of NuFred Wolf.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:29 AM   #93
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Heh you guys are fast. But yay another Platinum tmnt movie!

http://collider.com/new-teenage-muta...turtles-movie/
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:04 AM   #94
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

If anyone is going to touch the TMNT for another live action movie they need to take into account the following.

First and foremost please make the story engaging and coherent. This is very important. This destroyed the 2 Bay films. Even if the Bay designs weren’t great, the films were destroyed by the poor story, script and decision to make the Turtles virtually invincible.

I may even have had a little more respect for Bay Turtles if they would have stuck to their guns and produced the movie they originally intended. Trying to do last minute re-shoots etc just confused things.

Another important area that needs to be acknowledged is that I believe there are a number of cornerstones that need to be considered and applied. Exactly what these are I’m not maybe not good enough or literate enough to explain fully (or think of good ones at this moment) but some of you with more brain power than me may be able to add or take away from the below points. But I believe at least some of the below points, plus some others that I probably haven’t thought of need to 100% be applied to the writing of the next film.

Some of these cornerstones might be:
> Brotherhood.
> Weakness (both physical and mental).
> Down time (but not just for the sake of it. 1990 got it perfect i.e. Mike and Donny waiting for the Pizza. Bay Turtles did it ‘just because’ and it didn’t feel natural because of it).
> Journey (journey taken throughout the film. Spiritual. Emotional. Etc).
> History/past life (very important. They need to establish early on what their roots are, Splinter’s history, any relationships with enemies etc).
> Tone. They need to decide what tone they are going for and stick with it. Serious? Comedy? Kids? Adult themes? (I realise 'tone' isn't really a TMNT cornerstone...but had to add it in here somewhere)

Something that gives me the slightest glimmer of hope is that the new Bumblebee trailer at least shows they are turning more towards the G1 style and dropping the crappy Bay TF designs. If only…IF ONLY…they would have just listened to the TF fans at the start and did G1 style from the beginning…

With this in mind maybe they might also be reconsidering the Turtle designs...

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #95
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I am really at a loss of words right now. I really am! I want to know what is going through Viacom/Paramount/whoever's minds right now to get the same people who's last TMNT bombed to do another one. There's plenty of other brilliant people out there to give audiences a solid movie. Are they really this tone deaf, this paranoid, this desperate, and this idiotic to get these people and their company back to do another movie?

"Yeah let's get the people who failed us last time another chance! I'm sure they'll do better this time!"

Good God! What are they thinking?! It doesn't ****ing matter if they get a new writer. Bay and co. are still on board and will still use the same tactics they did for the last two films for this one. I pray it's not a continuation of the last two films but even a reboot by these guys still bothers me. They only see profit for this franchise and not for it's potential.

Please for the love that is all good, cancel this before it happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Heh you guys are fast. But nooooooo another Platinum tmnt movie!

http://collider.com/new-teenage-muta...turtles-movie/
Fixed it for ya!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #96
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Platinum Dunes is a cinematic travesty on par with Justice League and Fant4stic.

They didn't just fail; they didn't just make bad CBMs... they went beyond failing and TRIUMPHED at making the most epic shitastic fvckfest that ever assaulted a disappointed fan's eyes.
Justice League and both PD TMNT films are Oscar worthy compared to that other travesty you mentioned.

I'd watch two more Bay Turtle sequels over another Fant4stic being made. Thankfully that's not an issue as the First Family will be done right for their next film.

Quote:
The only worse adaptations I can think of are made by Uwe Boll, and THAT guy's been running a cinematic tax scam for a couple of decades now.
Funny enough, once I read about Uwe Boll and how he wound up doing all those game adaptations, I actually have respect for the guy. He's not a good film maker, but he does love movies and loves making movies. The absolute bargain bin price of getting video game movie rights at the time combined with that being all he could get financing for is the only reason he kept doing those.

I recently went on a bad video game movie binge and his Far Cry adaptation is actually fun B movie cheese. The actors aren't phoning it in, but not taking it too seriously and as a director, Boll seems okay with it being cheesy.

Postal was okay in the same vein. It just accepted ridiculousness and over the top stupidity and ran with it.

I need to see if RiffTrax has done the full Boll Collection.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #97
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
However, after reading that a screenwriter for a comedy film is penning the script for this new one and that Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes were still involved I was wrong. I just don't want them to go full-overblown on toilet humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Getting a comedy writer doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence that they learned the right lessons from the previous movie.
For those who haven't seen Bad Words, just letting you know that while it is certainly a comedy, it definitely leans heavily towards drama. It was a solid script that did some fun, unconventional things (such as the setting and keeping us in the dark about what the protagonist's motive was until well over an hour into the script.) I didn't love the movie, but I remember it well - which is more than I can say about most.

Quote:

It's frustrating.
I think you're just trolling at this point. You've been offered countless explainations why things are the way they are and how things are actually changing fast (but not overnight) and your comments are still bare boned and don't acknowledge anything that's been presented to you.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #98
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I was expecting tmnt 3.
We've been prepared for not expecting a third film since late-October 2016. http://comicbook.com/2016/10/30/teen...-of-the-shado/
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #99
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

As far as my expectations for this movie goes... I don't know. Way too early to tell but if I had to guess, they'll push more into a kiddie direction than trying to adapt anything that's come before it.

Take Rise of the TMNT for example. Familiar, but different, and not trying to be a retread of anything else.

That's what my instincts tell me anyway. I hope I'm wrong, but hey, if not - oh well. I know it's divisive, but for me, Turtles Forever was TMNT's swan song. It felt like a nice end of an era for me. Ever since, I let go of getting all up in arms about little details like having three toes or nostrils or learning ninjitsu from a book. I hope for the best, but when it goes in the opposite direction, I just kinda shrug and go "oh well."
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #100
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
As far as my expectations for this movie goes... I don't know. Way too early to tell but if I had to guess, they'll push more into a kiddie direction than trying to adapt anything that's come before it.

Take Rise of the TMNT for example. Familiar, but different, and not trying to be a retread of anything else.

That's what my instincts tell me anyway. I hope I'm wrong, but hey, if not - oh well. I know it's divisive, but for me, Turtles Forever was TMNT's swan song. It felt like a nice end of an era for me. Ever since, I let go of getting all up in arms about little details like having three toes or nostrils or learning ninjitsu from a book. I hope for the best, but when it goes in the opposite direction, I just kinda shrug and go "oh well."
Possible. I was thinking that maybe in light of Rise being 'younger' they decided to do something else not that was not so young, or that is what I had been hoping for before this announcement.....but you could be right, hopefully it isn't going to be less than a PG13 . I can't see that though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence