The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #141
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
April is definitely not like Emo Spidey in Spider-man 3.
Good. I was just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Who are all of these people coming out of the woodworks that went to this thing? I thought I knew all of the big names in the fandom, but here we have Joe, who is a relative newbie here and I have no idea what his history is, and some Coty person?
I was wondering that more about her. I mean yeah, she dressed as April at a con, but....

Man this comes of as very douchie....

EDIT: And I gotta ask, Andy was there a point where it changed or have you always been a uber-Mirage fan? I mean, was there a point where you like the other interpritations? I really don't mean for this t sound like a slight, and if it does, I'm sorry, but it seems a bit ham-fisted at times...almost like my "love" for all things Paulsen.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656

Last edited by Jester; 04-05-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #142
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I was wondering that more about her. I mean yeah, she dressed as April at a con, but....

Man this comes of as very douchie....
Everyone who was invited was first contacted and then interviewed before being officially invited. The whos and whys are all a mystery held by the PR company that put everything together. I didn't get to talk to Carol much personally, and we were in different Sewers, but she got emotional just introducing herself to everyone so I love that she was able to participate.

Coty was in my Sewer, and he knows his Turtles history inside out. Cool guy.

Really, everyone who was there deserved to be.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #143
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"The Krangs"? Just lame all around. I'm imagining like a round-table discussion with guys piping up with, "Utroms? Why call them that? They all look like Krang anyway, let's just go with 'The Krangs.'" A renegade Utrom named Krang wreaking havoc on Earth isn't a bad idea or angle for a kids' show, but this name thing is just plain silly. I never read it, but it sounds a little bit like the Ultimates version of Galactus where Galactus isn't a single being, but a cosmic swarm of beings called, "Gal-Lac-Tus" or something... not a bad idea in concept, but doesn't seem needed and I don't reckon it adds much to the mix.
I'm really hoping that "The Kraang" is the name of a group that these renegade Utroms gave themselves. I don't expect it to be so, but I can hope.

Quote:
So yeah, I have no idea what to expect from here. I'm disappointed at what I'm hearing (mainly because it sounds like this may end up setting the clock back on mainstream ever taking the TMNT seriously, now in a whole new generation) but none of this truly bothers me because I wholly understand that this cartoon isn't for me -- it's for kids.
I'm hoping that maybe the new movie might take things in a direction where the TMNT can be taken somewhat seriously while the cartoon is strictly aimed at little kids. Then, for those of us who like comics, there's IDW's awesome platform they're setting up. It'd end up similar to any other big name comic that has a movie and a kids' cartoon.

Sure, I'm asking for a lot, but it's not too bad of a dream.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #144
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:

So yeah, I have no idea what to expect from here. I'm disappointed at what I'm hearing (mainly because it sounds like this may end up setting the clock back on mainstream ever taking the TMNT seriously, now in a whole new generation) but none of this truly bothers me because I wholly understand that this cartoon isn't for me -- it's for kids. A new generation of little kids. From that perspective, while at the same time it seems poised, ready to take a crap on many of the aspects I thought were gradually evolving in TMNT in the mass media... I think it sounds like a show for little kids that may actually have a little bit of teeth (if not moreso than the 4Kids show, which I also didn't like, then at least the original cartoon) that will serve to induct them into the TMNT fandom. With IDW getting ready to mass-publish a ton of the Mirage material, perhaps these new fans will stumble across that and get a better sense of the TMNT's potential.

Or maybe not. But at least it'll increase awareness.

My answer: I don't care what take the latest children's cartoon takes and neither should you, fellow Mr./Ms./Mrs. 20/30 year-old old-school TMNT fan... because at the end of the day, this cartoon is not for me and it's not for you. While I make no bones about my not being able to stand watching the original cartoon now beyond small doses spread out over years (and to be fair I find the 4Kids cartoon only slightly more palatable), I was fully braced with teeth clenched for it to be announced that this cartoon would be a loose continuation/soft reboot of all of that old cartoon continuity with Turtle Blimps, Technodrome, lame jokes and all and was mostly OK with that -- after all, why not?
this i kinda agree with, but i will go into the new show with an open mind

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #145
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Everyone who was invited was first contacted and then interviewed before being officially invited. The whos and whys are all a mystery held by the PR company that put everything together. I didn't get to talk to Carol much personally, and we were in different Sewers, but she got emotional just introducing herself to everyone so I love that she was able to participate.

Coty was in my Sewer, and he knows his Turtles history inside out. Cool guy.

Really, everyone who was there deserved to be.
Thank you. Now I fell like a colossal douche bag. Not your fault mind you....all mine.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #146
Koi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The young April thing does strike me as a little Mary Sue-esque. Or maybe it's a bit more of a calculated, "How do we reach out to young girls too?" based on, "Who seem to be the most devoted fans now after the original boom died down?" Largely, women now in their late 20s or 30s. I don't think making her younger adds anything to the character or her interactions with the TMNT beyond -- apparently -- some kind of idea of making her a quasi love interest (which is pretty horrible) for the Turtles themselves. The thought of them considering her as a way of introducing a Twilight angle, with April instead of Bella and a mutant turtle(s) instead of a vampire is pretty sickening, if that's at all the thought process behind it (and I'm not saying that it is, I'm just throwing that out there).
"Don has a crush on April." Twilight isn't the best thing to categorize the two.

As far as I read, Don will just have some small crush kind of like the 2k3. Except April plays it on a little. Nothing really to get into. Most likely will die off when Casey comes into play.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #147
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

I don't really have a problem with April being a bit younger (did she look like the horrible WB April? Cause that April looked 12) and I have even of a lesser problem with the Turtles crushing on April. The Turtles live in the real world and are exposed to nothing but human images. If they came in contact with a hot chick, it's really not out of the norm for them to be attracted to her. I dunno how far you can let that go, mind you, but I don't immediately think it's a rotten concept just because weirdo fans have wrote stories of sex with the Turtles. Honestly, it seems only natural that there woud be some minor attaction.

I'm indifferent on the Krangs thing, need to see more I guess. I'm okay with the concept to make a bunch more mutants.

The Splinter stuff? I'm not sure on. I've always thought the Mirage story for Splinter was signifigantly WORSE than the Fred Wolf story. Rat learning kung-fu always bothered me, but I guess I'd need to see how it plays out. Him having a daughter? How that plays out will have a huge effect on this whole thing. The Turtles really are his sons, so adding another girl to the mix just seems, hmm, odd to me.

Now my one question...

Did anyone see any Foot Ninja/Foot Soldiers? I've heard a lot of talk about them, but no mention of what they look like. Were any actually shown? If so, what did they look like?

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #148
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
"Don has a crush on April." Twilight isn't the best thing to categorize the two.

As far as I read, Don will just have some small crush kind of like the 2k3. Except April plays it on a little. Nothing really to get into. Most likely will die off when Casey comes into play.
and then donatello gets jelous so instead of having a raphael and casey one-shot we will be seeing a dontello and casey shot.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #149
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I never thought about the 5 "sibling" aspect of Hamato Yoshi having a daughter before becoming Splinter and raising 4 sons. I really wonder how much older than the Turtles Hamato Jane will be. I do think it’d be an interesting dichotomy: (If) Shredder raised Yoshi's daughter and now she's his enemy and the Turtles might just be again tied to Shredder again (via the mutagen) and they are his enemy....trippy.

I look at the stuff we've been given and start trying to construct possible story ideas....makes me feel better....

Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #150
CyberCubed
Overlord

The daughter is probably Karai who will work for Shredder.

Unless we see the return of Lotus Blossom.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #151
Ninjinister
無問題

It would be interesting if Hana were his daughter instead of niece, in this one....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #152
sdp
Megan Fox = April

She goes under the name Lotus Blossom until one episode it is revealed her name is Karai Yoshi and Splinter is shocked! Retroactively canonizing Lotus from the OT as Karai!
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #153
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is there actually mutagen in this, I wonder?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #154
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
She goes under the name Lotus Blossom until one episode it is revealed her name is Karai Yoshi and Splinter is shocked! Retroactively canonizing Lotus from the OT as Karai!
Um... that wouldn't retroactively canonize anything. This is a completely different universe.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #155
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Is there actually mutagen in this, I wonder?
Well they are using TCRI ooZe
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #156
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Um... that wouldn't retroactively canonize anything. This is a completely different universe.
And wouldn't it be Hamato Karai?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #157
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And wouldn't it be Hamato Karai?
By gum, you're right. That passed right by me.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #158
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well they are using TCRI ooZe
Hm. I was thinking, it wouldn't be so bad while they're devolving the properties of mutation in this to being hybrids (like in the Fred Wolf cartoon) rather than hyper-evolution of the Mirage comics and 4Kids universes if they just avoid ooze altogether.

Ooze that you touch after touching an ant that morphs you into Ant-Man is inherently stupid. I'm sorry.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #159
sdp
Megan Fox = April

as opposed to ooze that makes a normal animal smarter mutate into a humanoid and have the ability to talk and learn martial arts?

Quote:
well it wasn't supposed to be taken too seriously, I'm just having some fun. But now that you bring it up I do consider Lotus to be Karai in the OT universe AND I WILL DEBATE YOU FOR 4 PAGES IF NECESSARY.
Spoiler:
*smiley added to make sure there is no confusion in the tone of the post
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #160
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Hm. I was thinking, it wouldn't be so bad while they're devolving the properties of mutation in this to being hybrids (like in the Fred Wolf cartoon) rather than hyper-evolution of the Mirage comics and 4Kids universes if they just avoid ooze altogether.

Ooze that you touch after touching an ant that morphs you into Ant-Man is inherently stupid. I'm sorry.
Andrew, the whole premise of terrapins who know martial arts who fight a guy who looks like a collection of small kitchen appliances to avenge the murder of the owner of a pet rat that learned kung-fu BEFORE he mutated is “inherently stupid.” Such is the charm of the TMNT

Tags
2k12, nick