The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #1981
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

from Noel Fisher's twitter.
https://twitter.com/noel_fisher/stat...27331893460992

Old 06-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #1982
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
For what? Ridiculing a movie series that has already been proven unworthy and incapable of producing a movie script that was faithful to the source material and made basic sense?
Faithful to source material? The source material about four mutant turtles who do ninja and eat pizza and fight a guy called The Shredder. The source material is ridiculous. Is it any surprise the movie is too.

I come into this thread to see set pics because I'm legit excited about this movie. The only movie I'm looking forward to in 2016. And I'm sick of weeding through the nitpicking. Christ man, we're in a world where 9 people get shot dead in a church for no reason. Complaining about a silly kids movie being a silly kids movie just seems so trivial.

Does it really matter that Megan Fox is playing April O'Neil? Who really cares that Rocksteady should be riding the bigger motorcycle? I'll tell you right now, the target audience wont. And contrary to what you might have thought, we're not the target audience. Kids are, the same kids who are rocking TMNT backpacks, TMNT hats, and made the first movie a **** load of money. This is a kids movie and TMNT, as far as Paramount is concerned, is a primarily kids franchise. You're deluding yourself if you think we'll ever get a City at War-style TMNT movie. We aren't gonna see the IDW storylines adapted in full. This is a movie, designed to appeal to the general audience who only know the Turtles as funny, and zany, silly. They don't have time for deeper character introspection and long drawn out story arcs. As 2007's TMNT proved, no one has time for TMNT when they try to take it seriously. They see a TMNT movie and they want action, and comedy, and pizza, and silliness. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Ninja Turtles is cool again. That's awesome. Kids love it, the brand is everywhere, hell they're even in the Macy's parade every year now. Am I the only one who remembers that dark period from 2003 to 2009 where no one even knew TNT was still around and Peter Laird let the franchise be run into the ground? The fact that we got a movie, and now are getting another one is a ****ing blessing.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but for the love of god, it's not worth getting worked up over. It's just a movie and the franchise has survived stupider.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #1983
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
For what? Ridiculing a movie series that has already been proven unworthy and incapable of producing a movie script that was faithful to the source material and made basic sense?
Wait, that sounds very familiar.... IT'S A PD SPY. IT'S BAY HIMSELF. HE'S COME TO EXPLODE US ALL.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #1984
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traximus View Post
Faithful to source material? The source material about four mutant turtles who do ninja and eat pizza and fight a guy called The Shredder. The source material is ridiculous. Is it any surprise the movie is too.

I come into this thread to see set pics because I'm legit excited about this movie. The only movie I'm looking forward to in 2016. And I'm sick of weeding through the nitpicking. Christ man, we're in a world where 9 people get shot dead in a church for no reason. Complaining about a silly kids movie being a silly kids movie just seems so trivial.

Does it really matter that Megan Fox is playing April O'Neil? Who really cares that Rocksteady should be riding the bigger motorcycle? I'll tell you right now, the target audience wont. And contrary to what you might have thought, we're not the target audience. Kids are, the same kids who are rocking TMNT backpacks, TMNT hats, and made the first movie a **** load of money. This is a kids movie and TMNT, as far as Paramount is concerned, is a primarily kids franchise. You're deluding yourself if you think we'll ever get a City at War-style TMNT movie. We aren't gonna see the IDW storylines adapted in full. This is a movie, designed to appeal to the general audience who only know the Turtles as funny, and zany, silly. They don't have time for deeper character introspection and long drawn out story arcs. As 2007's TMNT proved, no one has time for TMNT when they try to take it seriously. They see a TMNT movie and they want action, and comedy, and pizza, and silliness. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Ninja Turtles is cool again. That's awesome. Kids love it, the brand is everywhere, hell they're even in the Macy's parade every year now. Am I the only one who remembers that dark period from 2003 to 2009 where no one even knew TNT was still around and Peter Laird let the franchise be run into the ground? The fact that we got a movie, and now are getting another one is a ****ing blessing.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but for the love of god, it's not worth getting worked up over. It's just a movie and the franchise has survived stupider.
For movies that are intelligent, witty, and well written yet aimed at children, allow me to direct your attention to Pixar Studios.

For movies that are insulting and cashing in on the lowest common denominator, well...

Why should we grin and bear it if our favorite crew of characters get shafted by a team of hacks like Platinum Dunes? Look at movies like The Dark Knight Trilogy or most of the MCU movies. There are plot holes and some issues, but those movies are targeted at kids (debatable with the TDK, I know) and are far superior in any way. Even movies I hate, like Iron Man 3, or movies that are just weaksauce, like Thor 1 and 2.

This is a golden age of comic book movies. TMNT is the worst handled property out there. Guardians of the Galaxy, a ridiculous team almost no one had ever heard of, is one of the three top Marvel movies ever. I think most people like it better than any of the solo Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor movies.

Why should we settle? If we could do anything more than fight back with our pocket books and rant on a fan forum, I, at least, totally would.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #1985
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
For movies that are intelligent, witty, and well written yet aimed at children, allow me to direct your attention to Pixar Studios.

For movies that are insulting and cashing in on the lowest common denominator, well...

Why should we grin and bear it if our favorite crew of characters get shafted by a team of hacks like Platinum Dunes? Look at movies like The Dark Knight Trilogy or most of the MCU movies. There are plot holes and some issues, but those movies are targeted at kids (debatable with the TDK, I know) and are far superior in any way. Even movies I hate, like Iron Man 3, or movies that are just weaksauce, like Thor 1 and 2.

This is a golden age of comic book movies. TMNT is the worst handled property out there. Guardians of the Galaxy, a ridiculous team almost no one had ever heard of, is one of the three top Marvel movies ever. I think most people like it better than any of the solo Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor movies.

Why should we settle? If we could do anything more than fight back with our pocket books and rant on a fan forum, I, at least, totally would.
First off, Pixar is overrated. Vastly overrated. But that's a whole other discussion.

And again, like I said before. It doesn't matter. YOU may not like Platinum Dunes, but enough people did you make the first one a lot of money, and THAT'S what really matters. Paramount wants the franchise to be profitable, and it's proving to be on all fronts. You want something more intelligent, you have the IDW comics. There's so much TMNT out there to consume. Something for everyone, you don't need this movie.

And to your last point, if I had the money and control, I'd be making almost the exact same movie. Just a big, loud, stupid fun 90 min toy commercial. I'd make millions.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #1986
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
The fact that we got a movie, and now are getting another one is a ****ing blessing.
Sure, if one considers getting terrible, divisive movies a "blessing". Though I guess some folks would rather have literally anything than hold out for something decent.

Quote:
not saying you have to like it, but for the love of god, it's not worth getting worked up over.
...he said after ranting for four straight paragraphs, without a hint of irony.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #1987
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Sure, if one considers getting terrible, divisive movies a "blessing". Though I guess some folks would rather have literally anything than hold out for something decent.

...he said after ranting for four straight paragraphs, without a hint of irony.
It's not the movie I'm annoyed with, it's you guys.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #1988
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
It's not the movie I'm annoyed with, it's you guys.
Then by all means, go away.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #1989
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
Then by all means, go away.
You first.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #1990
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
You first.
Hahahahahaha. Aw, diddums.

What are you, Supreme Leader of the Ninja Turtle forums? if you don't like what people are saying, you've got options: talk about something else, put them on ignore, report it to a moderator if it breaks the rules, or just go somewhere else if you really can't handle it. Don't have a big baby tantrum just because you don't like a conversation that has nothing to do with you. it's obnoxious and doesn't help a damn thing.

Last edited by Bry; 06-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #1991
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Now now, honeybunnies. There's no need to argue. People are going to dislike the movie, and the few will like the movie. Again, the few. But there's no need to argue about it.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #1992
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
So, what the f*ck are you doing here? You're really excited, but it's ridiculous.
It's a stupid idea, but you're combing through pages of comments on a TMNT forum, just to see some Mocap outfits and blurry cellphone pics.

Not for nothing, but you might be ridiculous too.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #1993
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
make the first one a lot of money, and THAT'S what really matters.
So just milk that cash cow dry then toss it to the meat shop because, hey, it made it's cash. As long as it served that purpose, who cares.

Quote:
you don't need this movie
Sorry, I want movies. And great care taken of these characters, no matter if their 31-year-old premise is absurd by real world standards or not. There's no reason they can't get the respect they are worthy of. They shouldn't have to be second class citizens in the hero genre.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-19-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #1994
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:

You're point would be better served if your screen name wasn't a character that was created and prominent in what you describe as "that dark period from 2003 to 2009 where no one even knew TNT was still around and Peter Laird let the franchise be run into the ground?"

TMNT '03 ran for seven seasons, during which time it had a movie and was the best selling toy for two years running, I wouldn't call that small potatoes. Anything from that period which could be described as running the franchise into the ground was based on Playmates getting scales in their eyes and more than doubling their output at a time when it seemed interest was tapering off thus everyone trying to fix the mess.

If not for that the 2000s might have simply run it's course when it reached a natural end or maybe not but I think I'm not alone in saying I'd rather have a moderately successful quality franchise than a highly successful common denominator franchise. Neither of which accurately describes the 2000s or 2010s periods but for the moment let's boil it down to that.

The main problem is from these frankly douchey arguments is that TMNT 2014 was not made for kids. As someone who followed the production they made it clear that kids where not their sole or necessarily prime target demographic. The movie doesn't even come off like a kids movie with it's sexual humor, references to Vietnam and over-the-top violence, it's sillier aspects come off as juvenile but not kid friendly. The whole idea that the movie was aimed at young children is something that's largely been retroactively attached to it as some kind of excuse for how bad it was. As if there's not a slew of kids movies that are good and appeal to adults as well.

But for the moment let's say you're right about that being their primary demographic; I've yet to see anything but anecdotal evidence that the movie was popular among children and there's at least some accounts that state otherwise. I don't really venture into places on the web that have a prominent kid base but from little I've seen it doesn't seem like it was all that well received among the young fans of the current Nickelodeon either. I've seen some younger reviewers on youtube who were also unimpressed.

I think the real litmus test was that if this was all that popular with kids you'd think the merchandise would sell more. There's little doubt in my mind if Playmates thought the demand we'd be getting all manner of movie-based variants. If it was popular then it clearly popular enough.

Financially TMNT didn't make half of it's peers and when the caveat that it made a profit is based on how little it cost to make then it becomes all the more relevant when a not-insignificant number of people walked out thinking it was one of the worst things they'd ever seen. If everything was so rosy in the TMNT movie garden we wouldn't have a new director and promises of a new direction. They wouldn't be trying so hard to make this (superficially) resemble a version that is known only to us old, irrelevant thirty-somethings. TMNT '14. They may as well as be screaming "please give us another chance. It's gonna be different...we promise" TMNT '14 didn't make enough or please enough that they can just sit back and rest on it's laurels.

Last edited by Galactus; 06-19-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #1995
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
You're point would be better served if your screen name wasn't a character that was created and prominent in what you describe as "that dark period from 2003 to 2009 where no one even knew TNT was still around and Peter Laird let the franchise be run into the ground?"

TMNT '03 ran for seven seasons, during which time it had a movie and was the best selling toy for two years running, I wouldn't call that small potatoes. Anything which could be described as running the franchise into the ground was based on Playmates getting scales in their eyes and more than doubling their output at a time when it seemed interest was tapering off thus everyone trying to fix the mess.

If not for that the 2000s might have simply run it's course when it reached a natural end or maybe not but I think I'm not alone in saying I'd rather have a moderately successful quality franchise than a highly successful common denominator franchise. Neither of which accurately describes the 2000s or 2010s periods but for the moment let's boil it down to that.

The main problem is from these frankly douchey arguments is that TMNT 2014 was not made for kids. As someone who followed the production they made it clear that kids where not their sole or necessarily prime target demographic. The movie doesn't even come off like a kids movie with it's sexual humor, references to Vietnam and over-the-top violence, it's sillier aspects come off as juvenile but not kid friendly. The whole idea that the movie was aimed at young children is something that's largely been retroactively attached to it as some kind of excuse for how bad it was. As if there's not a slew of kids movies that are good and appealing to adults as well.

But for the moment let's say you're right about that being their primary demographic; I've yet to see anything but anecdotal evidence that the movie was popular among children and there's at least some accounts that otherwise. I don't really venture into places on the web that have a prominent kid base but from little I've seen it doesn't seem like it was all that well received among the young fans of the current Nickelodeon either. I've seen some younger reviewers on youtube who were also unimpressed.

I think the real litmus test was that if this was all that popular with kids you'd think the merchandise would sell more. There's little doubt in my mind if Playmates thought the demand we'd be getting all manner of movie-based variants. If it was popular then it clearly popular enough.

Financially TMNT didn't make half of it's peers and when the caveat that it made a profit is based on how little it cost to make then it becomes all the more relevant when a not-insignificant number of people walked out thinking it was one of the worst things they'd ever seen. If everything was so rosy in the TMNT movie garden we wouldn't have a new director and promises of a new direction. They wouldn't be trying so hard to make this (superficially) resemble a version that is known only to us old, irrelevant thirty-somethings. TMNT '14. They may as well as be screaming "[B]please give us another chance. It's gonna be different...we promise" TMNT '14 didn't make enough or please enough that they can just sit back and rest on it's laurels.
Calm down, homey. It's just a movie.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #1996
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
Hahahahahaha. Aw, diddums.

What are you, Supreme Leader of the Ninja Turtle forums?
You didn't get the memo?
Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #1997
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

New video of the guys having fun on the set.
https://instagram.com/p/4IU56Jjcio/
Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #1998
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Calm down, homey. It's just a movie.
Writing a fairly long post is no indication that I'm not calm. I'd say the tone of my post was fairly matter-of-fact if anything. Should I take it that you're glib attempt at dismissive humor means you can't counter any of my arguments?

I could make a similar post about you. After all you've taken it upon yourself to be a staunch defender of something you seem to know is bad. Why not let us voice our opinions? After all "it's just a movie".
Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #1999
Traximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Writing a fairly long post is no indication that I'm not calm. I'd say the tone of my post was fairly matter-of-fact if anything. Should I take it that you're glib and attempt and dismissive humor means you can't counter any of my arguments?

I could make a similar post about you. After all you've taken it upon yourself to be a staunch defender of something you seem to know is bad. Why not let us voice our opinions? After all "it's just a movie".
Take it however you want. You do you.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #2000
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
New video of the guys having fun on the set.
https://instagram.com/p/4IU56Jjcio/

Security... the actors are abusing each other.

Ok, in Turtles terms is younger sibling hitting an older one, so what else is new. Maybe it's to counter the reverse on Nick. lol
Closed Thread

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, tigerclaw is cybercubed, tmnt2