The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #41
utromx
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Someone at Playmates designed that playset just for us long time toy collecting fans. It's generic enough to work for any universe

I agree. I was just admiring all the flat surfaces for display. I might have to grab one for just that.
utromx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
Pointblank
Foot Soldier

Is that Ice Cream Kitty with April?
Pointblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #43
Wretched Reptile
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Someone at Playmates designed that playset just for us long time toy collecting fans. It's generic enough to work for any universe, and it really looks like a perfect display stand/centerpiece for any line. The throwback to the '87 turtle van in the arcade game and whatever other little touches we haven't discovered yet are more icing on that cake. No way am I gonna sit out on that thing. Even though I'm low on room, it's clearly so much more practical than the 2012 playset for a display that I might just have to sell that one to make room.

As for the "happy meal" toy quality, I think what y'all are really saying by that is they look toyetic....probably mainly because of all the bright colors but also the sharp cartoonish stylized angles. That's why the part of me that just plain loves toys is taking to them right away, actually. Articulation-wise we will see, but they look like they have the joints to at least fare no worse than previous lines.
You and I are definitely on the same page with these. That playset just has a lot of potential, like you said. It's really beautiful. And clearly filled with love for long-time fans. All the little nods and touches are just wonderful.

And I fully agree on the design aesthetics here. These actually look like TOYS, because guess what... they're TOYS. It's like this whole "adult collector" revolution has made people forget the point here and led to a misguided sense of whiny entitlement with EVERYTHING now. Not everything has to look "real" and have drab, realistic colors. TMNT in general, as most of us grew up with it, was rooted and immersed in bright colors and crazy design cues. Even 2K3! Why is this new stuff such a shock lol? Sure, things are different in many specific design aspects but the core aesthetics and intentions (re: bright colors and a general ambiance of FUN) seem to be right there loud and proud all over again. It baffles me people are so immediately dismissive.

As I've stated previously, I will never jump to conclusions on a forthcoming reinterpretation ever again after my initial reaction to Transformers Animated 10 years ago. I thought that was going to ruin Transformers and it ended up being a spectacular incarnation that I still adore and cherish to this day - the toys ESPECIALLY included. I think this new TMNT series already feels a lot like TFA. Sharp angles, super bright colors and wild design cues and I'm 100% into that so far. The show could still be a disappointment in terms of writing and characters, but honestly I doubt it - for me, anyway. I've been accepting of ALL the incarnations of this franchise to date and enjoy them each in different ways, warts and all. I guess I just love TMNT. Call me an apologist, call me whatever you like. I really don't care!
Wretched Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #44
ToSte
Hench Mutant

Cool toys. The truck looks neato. I don't plan to buy any of them (unless the sewer lair goes on clearance), but they look fun nonetheless.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #45
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Alright. They don't look bad, not a huge fan on how the articulation cuts was done it looks a bit cheap-ish. But it is cool to see that they get powered up version of their weapons as well as a normal version, although Mikey gets a sansetsukon as well as two kusari-fundo which both look way too silly with a boxing glove and a spiked yo-yo. And the giant and deluxe Mikey have different kusari-fundo, so maybe Mikey got a whole arsenal of different chain weapons.

Both April and origami lacks knees, c'mon Playmates! Cheapskates. April looks cute, though. Splinter looks pretty bad, but what else could they've done with that design...

The shell hog and tank looks really neat, very rounded fisher-price kid friendly in design but it looks cool.

The Sewer set is basic and a bit boring, mostly it looks like someone learned a lesson and fixed the issues with the 2012 playset.

The giant figures are alright, on par with the basics. But the deluxe looks super awkward, the weirdest looking Ninja Action version yet.

I might get April and Meat Sweats, maybe Origami. But I'll pass on the Turtles and Splinter, if I ever see them on sale I might grab a Leo just to have one.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 02-16-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #46
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Dunno why, but I love those designs in toy form. They look much better than the promo art released earlier this month. I think they look better in 3D
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #47
Powder
So tired of this place

Not great, but OK. The Giant ones look WAY better than the standard figures, unfortunately, regarding head sculpts, anyway. The translucent accessories are really cool, hope those stick around. I LOVE that Foot Soldier(?) design, damn. Not sure what to make of Meat Sweats (that name...) but he's kinda neat. Splinter's figure is adorable. Draxum is a very Cosmic Scoundrels design. Not quite my cup of tea, but we'll see.

I'm sure I'll get the basics, at least.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #48
cloud
Stone Warrior

Not that interested.
Splinter looks like a hamster....
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #49
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Why they make a butcher their enemy? So cliche, even Batman have a butcher villain called Professor Pyg.

What's next, a florist? A Target cashier?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #50
tipet
Hench Mutant

They look ok to me. Probably i was expecting something a little better after seing the designs, but they're not bad in my opinion, and very close to the design rather than other first waves. The villans looks really cool, the vehicles and playset too. I think this serie has a lot of potencial, the background of the city is fantastic...we will see.

tipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I wish the sculpts where more sharper and more screen accurate, the buttery sculpt just seems like a strange choice when you got the show's designs to be Samurai Jack adjacent.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Why they make a butcher their enemy? So cliche, even Batman have a butcher villain called Professor Pyg.

What's next, a florist? A Target cashier?
Most TMNT villains are generic animal parodies of other series. What did you think most Playmates mutants were based on?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #53
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

They're... Ok, these designs work a lot better in toy form IMO, at least the boys, April looks cute, the others... Yeah... The figures are neat as well, fun for kids. As always I'll get the bros for my collection, will pass on the rest.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #54
Rukitron
Stone Warrior

Donatello looks better than his animation model. I may grab on a whim, but everyone else I got mixed feelings.

I'll probably pick up the sewer lair on clearance though.

Now the real question is: how much paint gets omitted?
Rukitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #55
Sumac
Banned

Ugh, those toys looks cheap and ugly. Worse than cartoon designs by a wide-mile.
Splinter looks funny. Draxum looks like generic villain from Fred Wold series.
And Foot Soldier is just odd.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #56
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Meat Sweats, The Trickster, and The Chill Master... We've really hit one of those points again, haven't we.

And April's pet...whatever it is. I see we're going for that trend.

It would not surprise me at all if the Turtles eventually all end up with some kind of "special" pet, since the pet add-on is a very overdone marketing thing these days. (And that Pokemon stuff...?)

Think I best like the Leo on the Shell Hog. Though admittedly, having a helmet probably helps the design feel more normal... lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-16-2018 at 06:19 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Meat Sweats, The Trickster, and The Chill Master... We've really hit one of those points again, haven't we.
Eh, those names don't sound any worse than "Dogpound" or "Fishface" etc. The mutant names were always generic puns and sound stupid when you read them until you get used to them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #58
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I love them and think they look far better than their animated counterparts, the only "bad" one is Raph since he looks like short and fat not to mention that his tonfas make him look like a wimp next to the awesome weapons his brothers have. I can only justify getting one of them, I wonder if it'll be Mikey or Leo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Eh, those names don't sound any worse than "Dogpound" or "Fishface" etc. The mutant names were always generic puns and sound stupid when you read them until you get used to them.
Yes, TMNT hasn't had the best mutant names ever, we just grew to like them and associate cool characters with them. I mean for every cool name like "Slash" we had a "Chrome Dome" or "Pizza Face" and yet we love them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #59
DVD
Mad Scientist

Just peeked at the pix and I don’t think they are terrible.
They are, different.
Interested in seeing how they look in hand.
The larger versions (1:6) will probably look good in these designs in full color.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #60
Sumac
Banned

They look really basic and lack details.
Like some Happy Meal stuff, as someone had sad before.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote