The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Easter Eggs In TMNT(1990)

I found this article about easter eggs in the first film and thought I would share it with my fellow fans.
https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/tee...er-/2900-3435/
Old 04-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

I’m surprised Gamespot did not discuss the scene in the beginning when The Oprah Winfrey Show is shown on TV.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
marioroxmysox
Mouser

I'm more surprised that April was going to wear a Jumpsuit instead of a raincoat. Who's idea was it to ditch the jumpsuit anyway? She had a jumpsuit in her comic debut as well!
marioroxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I don't think the jumpsuit would've translated well to the live action medium.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
marioroxmysox
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I don't think the jumpsuit would've translated well to the live action medium.
You sure?:

Last edited by marioroxmysox; 04-05-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: picture wasn't shown
Old 04-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

That's a great cosplay!

But respectfully, I don't think April's jumpsuit matches the tone of the film that was made. IIRC, it was considered and I think it was Judith Hoag who didn't want to do it. But I thought the yellow jacket used briefly in the film was a cool little nod.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 04-05-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
marioroxmysox
Mouser

Aren't you forgetting that April O'Neil first appeared in a Jumpsuit?:
It may not be yellow, but it's still a jumpsuit. It would've helped on certain conditions, like being in the sewers. Don't know why the actress refused to wear it in the sewers.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Corey Feldman, Judith Hoag, Sam Rockwell, James Saito, David McCharen, Toshishiro Obata and Kevin Clash being in the movie are not easter eggs. Who the **** considers that to be an easter egg? "Hey guys, wanna know a fun easter egg? Han Solo is played by Harrison Ford!". Most of the product placements aren't easter eggs either. Nor is the name of the TV station, the Critters poster, the Humphrey Bogart joke, the Conseco joke, the impressions, the blood puddle, the odd edits, the mouth error, the blindfold, Mikey crying, the penecilin joke, the bad gay joke, how much the movie made or the ending song.

The only actual easter eggs might be the suit actors' cameos, other newreporters named June and May, the raincoat, Archie comics, reference to the creators and the Kanji.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioroxmysox View Post
Aren't you forgetting that April O'Neil first appeared in a Jumpsuit?: .
That version of April was Stockman's assistant, not a TV news reporter. The film is slightly grounded regarding the human characters at least. In real life, news reporters wear suits and dresses, not jumpsuits.

Furthermore, movies and comics are different mediums with the latter having a much larger threshold for suspension of disbelief, and thus they can be more exaggerated. Translated directly to film can have mixed results. In some cases, it's brilliant (Dick Tracy is an example of this), but more often, it can be hokey.

Personally, I think it is better to adapt the material sincerely, rather than literally. Keep it in the spirit, but bring into our world. That's what they did on the first TMNT film.

Quote:
Corey Feldman, Judith Hoag, Sam Rockwell, James Saito, David McCharen, Toshishiro Obata and Kevin Clash being in the movie are not easter eggs. Who the **** considers that to be an easter egg? "Hey guys, wanna know a fun easter egg? Han Solo is played by Harrison Ford!". Most of the product placements aren't easter eggs either. Nor is the name of the TV station, the Critters poster, the Humphrey Bogart joke, the Conseco joke, the impressions, the blood puddle, the odd edits, the mouth error, the blindfold, Mikey crying, the penecilin joke, the bad gay joke, how much the movie made or the ending song.
I've noticed that the majority of retrospectives seem as though they were written as they though they were an afterthought and had to be churned the night before in some sort of mad fever dream. Embarrassingly, a number of them even use an image from SOTO for the thumbnail.

I personally was writing a lengthy retrospective that discussed film's technical aspects and thematic material and was trying to get it out in the time for the 30th anniversary. But unfortunately, I was hit by the recent crisis and my blog has taken a backseat. I only have a few more paragraphs to write. The file is about 9 pages. Plus, I had a companion piece planned in which I would discussed the deleted scenes in great detail.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 04-06-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I'm more surprised that April was going to wear a Jumpsuit instead of a raincoat. Who's idea was it to ditch the jumpsuit anyway? She had a jumpsuit in her comic debut as well!
If you read the Judith Hoag interview linked in that article she mentions they dyed a jumpsuit yellow but it didn't look right so they abandoned the idea and gave her a yellow raincoat instead..

In the same interview Hoag talks about why she was let go for the sequel and how they asked her to be in the third movie only to change they're minds saying the change in actress may confuse people again. I just found it funny because when I first watched the third movie I had no idea Paige Turco was playing April as they completely changed her look so I got confused anyway.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

The only actual easter eggs might be the suit actors' cameos, other newreporters named June and May, the raincoat, Archie comics, reference to the creators and the Kanji.
You're alright, You.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

I just shared the article I did not write it, but you have a solid sharp point.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
If you read the Judith Hoag interview linked in that article she mentions they dyed a jumpsuit yellow but it didn't look right so they abandoned the idea and gave her a yellow raincoat instead..
It's a damn crime those costume tests haven't surfaced.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
You sure?:
Y'know I looked at that image again and noticed April wearing those clothes would have made her look real labour intensive. She really looks like she's getting stuck in, not wearing skirts, dresses or making herself look like she works all day in an office. In that sense I can see why she would become so popular. She comes across like she has the needs of the working class at heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
It's a damn crime those costume tests haven't surfaced.
I agree. It would be interesting to compare to the cosplay image.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

I wonder if this would count as an easter egg too:

In the comics, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures (came with a videocassette with voiceovers), April gets jumped by the Shredder's goons and the Turtles defeat them.

Here in the 1990 movie, some punks are stealing stuff out of the news truck (TVs I believe) and they jump April--Raphael knocks out the lamp and they defeat the punks.

Nice little mirror image there, in my opinion.

Another observation was the humor: They gave Don and Mike the humor, Raph was serious/getting angry, and Leo the leader. In later versions, Raph gave the humor (in the cartoon for sure).

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #16
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Eastman?

So the article, and I believe Eastman himself, mentions Kevin's hard-to-spot cameo as the garbage truck driver at the end of the film.

Inspired by the cast reunion thing, I decided to rewatch the film last night. It holds up great and it still amazes me just how good the turtles and splinter look.

Anyway, during one of the scenes at the Foot hideout, I'm pretty sure I've found another Eastman cameo. There's sort of an overhead shot showing people engaged in various activities, and a bunch of kids are playing roulette and I think Eastman is among them. Photo below--what do you think? The guy definitely has the Eastman mustache and hair...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eastman?.jpg (19.5 KB, 15 views)
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #17
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

That Hoag interview that the article links to is very similar to her "April in Turtle Land" interview from Starlog magazine #154.

PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
That Hoag interview that the article links to is very similar to her "April in Turtle Land" interview from Starlog magazine #154.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/53/9c...362d2de38a.jpg
Do you think it could be taken from the April in Turtle Land interview or something completely separate?

Also, the Shredder's cape. Was it just the one scene which he addressed the Foot and its recruits that he wears it?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 06-26-2020 at 08:48 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #19
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Do you think it could be taken from the April in Turtle Land interview or something completely separate?

Also, the Shredder's cape. Was it just the one scene which he addressed the Foot and its recruits that he wears it?
Clearly a seperate interview, but Judith was just giving a lot of the same answers.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote