The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Galactus
Foot Elite

Michelangelo's journey

I don't know if it's been posted here before but I recently came across this analysis of TMNT 1990. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMfvFsqSIewWhile there is a few points I don't quite agree with such as the turtles personalities coming from the animated series or it not really mattering in Mirage of the turtles have personalities but overall I thought it was really well thought out.

He comes up with an interesting observation that I've never noticed before; that every time that Splinter's potential death is brought up Michelangelo deflects with a joke clearly uncomfortable with even thinking about the possibility. After doing this the whole movie it is his time at the farm which gives him time to process it after all it is actually him and not Raphael that shouts for Splinter on the roof of the barn and finally he is the one to break down crying at Splinter's farewell.

I've always felt that Donatello was the one who struggled with the concept of Splinter's death (something which the video also points out) but it's just that he is slightly more inclined to try and reach out and talk about it only for Mike to continually deflect and most of the time Don goes with it. In fact you could even argue that what seems like an out of character moment for him at the camp fire "don't worry I came prepared" is him trying to do what Mike normally does but Mike is the one who convinces him to put them back.

Am I and the video creator on to something here or are we seeing a character progression that isn't there?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

Caught on to that 30 years ago.

When the movie came out I had only been watching the cartoon for six months. Finding so much depth in this movie helped to secure the TMNT's place in my heart. Especially once the VHS came out, I watched it repeatedly looking for new details each time. It's a pretty great movie.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
Roseangelo
Emperor

Oh, here's another detail I like.

When Leo gets pinned by Shredder in the final battle, Raph immediately takes over the leadership role.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #4
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I agree about Donatello. However, it may have been the original intent of the 1990 movie to have Mikey struggle with Splinter's disappearance and possible death, especially given what we know about some of the supposed deleted scenes/planned scenes with Mikey wailing in the barn (spoiler for those who didn't know).

I think Mikey was supposed to have a lot more pathos in the film. Am I correct in the idea that when Raph yells "Splin-terrrrr" it's really Mikey's figure in the darkness but with Raph's voice dubbed over? If not, I heard that somewhere.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Mikey had a shot in the barn getting very aggressive with a punching bag. I think April comments on it in the comic adaptation.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote