The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #41
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

...and his name is Tinky Winky. I don't buy that whole thing though. It smacks of something some journalists made up on a slow day.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #42
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Pokémon and Harry Potter were paths to Satan when I was a kid.
Yeah, my parents forbade Pokemon and they weren't too keen on Harry Potter. Though come to think of it, they allowed Pokemon books so I suspect it may have been down to money and the religion was an excuse...

They never went as far as claiming they were paths to Satan, just that they weren't very Christian which seems odd because they were okay with the Horrid Henry books which basically glorifies bad behaviour.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #43
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Funny how things have reversed, in how leftists and SJWs are now selectively censoring free speech (through virtue signaling and political correctness) & create their own form of moral panic because of how it might be perceived as offensive.

...Remember when it used to be the puritanical conservatives?
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL, remember when gay people on television was considered controversial? Then lesbian kissing on TV circa around the late 90's and early 2000's started to become mainstream, and then it was everywhere in TV and movies in the 2000's? I think it was the movie Wild Things with Denise Richards that really kicked it off, and then Sarah Michelle Gellar in "Cruel Intentions." Then of course Britney/Madonna/Christina at the 2004 MTV music awards.

Now it's so mainstream I'm so indifferent to it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #45
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Here are some of the things I remember:
4. Aladdin drew criticism because someone thought Aladdin whispered for Jasmine to take her clothes off when in reality he was telling Rajah to "take off and go."

5. The Lion King also drew criticism because in the scene where Simba plops down and the flowers spread out, someone thought they saw the word SEX in the flowers when it was really SFX that was in the flowers.
If you're interested, the musical parody of Aladdin 'Twisted' included a song that satirized those misunderstandings. It's called 'Take Off Your Clothes' and should be available on youtube.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #46
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Funny how things have reversed, in how leftists and SJWs are now selectively censoring free speech (through virtue signaling and political correctness) & create their own form of moral panic because of how it might be perceived as offensive.

...Remember when it used to be the puritanical conservatives?
Don't have to remember, as it's ongoing.
Puritanical conservatives are large, in charge, and still fighting to maintain the status quo.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #47
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
If you're interested, the musical parody of Aladdin 'Twisted' included a song that satirized those misunderstandings. It's called 'Take Off Your Clothes' and should be available on youtube.
They even made fun of the "priest boner" from The Little Mermaid.
("No, I think that's just his knees")
And the phallic palace towers
("Now what do you think that looks like?"
"...A giraffe.")

Glad that someone else here has made some talk about Twisted, though.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #48
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Don't have to remember, as it's ongoing.
Puritanical conservatives are large, in charge, and still fighting to maintain the status quo.
Safe spaces sure are insulating, aren't they?

So what is the status quo when leftist ideology is prominent and overbearing in: Hollywood, the Entertainment Industry, Silicon Valley, Media, Academia, and Big Business?

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 02-09-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #49
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
...and his name is Tinky Winky. I don't buy that whole thing though. It smacks of something some journalists made up on a slow day.
Didn't he show up to the big Pride parade in NYC back in like '99? Might have just been some dude dressed up as him.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #50
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

You do make a good point that there are left-wing moral panics.

For every "Pokémon is about demons" there is a "Pokémon promotes animal fighting/abuse". For every "Harry Potter is promoting devil worship" there is a "Harry Potter incites using literal children to fight against forces adults couldn't finish themselves". Which could also slide into: For every "Dumbledore is gay and gay is bad!", there is a "Dumbledore was a manipulative wuss at the end of his life in spite of the many successes of his prime and endangered the life of a teenage boy".

Heck, there's even points where both sides can share a panic. Namely that of child endangerment. For example, A Series of Unfortunate Events.
There's the suggestion that someone would dare to make a 13-book series focusing on adults tormenting children, without a competent grown-up in sight, because that never happens in real life! (It does), and that it was planting the idea in children that not all adults are trustworthy.
I recently saw someone point out a comment on Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events. "I stopped watching when Olaf slapped Klaus. Child abuse is never okay". (I'm glad I wasn't drinking when I read that comment because I probably would have spit it out laughing)
Who knows if that person is right or left. What they are is airheaded for missing everything up to the point where the abuse became physical. There are others who get wound up because of the impression of the adults being presented as dumb and careless. Who knows if they're left or right. It doesn't matter. It just shows that they themselves would probably be the dumb and careless adults if they were in the story.

The moral panics of one group do not excuse the moral panics of another. They never do. And it does not help to incite the hair triggers of either group. It just reduces your own group's credibility.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 02-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #51
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Safe spaces sure are insulating, aren't they?
Right?
What's the weather like inside yours?

You go from shouting down SJWs to complaining about how they censor other people. Does shifting gears that quickly give you whiplash?

Quote:
So what is the status quo when leftist ideology is prominent and overbearing in: Hollywood, the Entertainment Industry, Silicon Valley, Media, Academia, and Big Business?
Oh yes, the big badlefties are coming for you.
They're coming for your soul!
Look out! They're right behind you!

CLUTCH YOUR PEARLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
You do make a good point that there are left-wing moral panics.

For every "Pokémon is about demons" there is a "Pokémon promotes animal fighting/abuse". For every "Harry Potter is promoting devil worship" there is a "Harry Potter incites using literal children to fight against forces adults couldn't finish themselves". Which could also slide into: For every "Dumbledore is gay and gay is bad!", there is a "Dumbledore was a manipulative wuss at the end of his life in spite of the many successes of his prime and endangered the life of a teenage boy".

Heck, there's even points where both sides can share a panic. Namely that of child endangerment. For example, A Series of Unfortunate Events.
There's the suggestion that someone would dare to make a 13-book series focusing on adults tormenting children, without a competent grown-up in sight, because that never happens in real life! (It does), and that it was planting the idea in children that not all adults are trustworthy.
I recently saw someone point out a comment on Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events. "I stopped watching when Olaf slapped Klaus. Child abuse is never okay". (I'm glad I wasn't drinking when I read that comment because I probably would have spit it out laughing)
Who knows if that person is right or left. What they are is airheaded for missing everything up to the point where the abuse became physical. There are others who get wound up because of the impression of the adults being presented as dumb and careless. Who knows if they're left or right. It doesn't matter. It just shows that they themselves would probably be the dumb and careless adults if they were in the story.

The moral panics of one group do not excuse the moral panics of another. They never do. And it does not help to incite the hair triggers of either group. It just reduces your own group's credibility.
Both sides of the spectrum have their share of shrieking eels, that's for certain. But I think it's important to not conflate the social mores of one individual with that of an entire movement.

Me believing that pokemon is kiddie cockfighting is not the same thing as the Christianist movement to have it banned because it promotes evolution.

That airhead you spoke of, the one who didn't like seeing Klaus get smacked, might have very personal reasons for being uncomfortable with that scene.
And while the rest of the terrible things were perfectly fine, due to the unrealistic nature of the unfortunate events in question, that one act was just too much.

I think like...how different the violence is in say the Predator movies vs that of say Fight Club. I don't find the former disturbing, but I find the latter unsettling.

Everyone has different boundaries, it's important to not be a dick about them.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #52
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Everyone has different boundaries, it's important to not be a dick about them.
Yep, that's basically the idea I was trying to get across, and you even had some good points about my examples.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:13 AM   #53
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I think most of the left aren't that extreme, and ban their children from reading the books or comics, watching the films, playing with the toys or whatever.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #54
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I've only seen unironic complaints about Pokemon promoting animal abuse and cockfighting by PETA, and screw those terrorists supporters.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #55
plastroncafe

They really are the worst, aren't they?
I mean, you've really got to go out of your way to garner as much hate as they do with a name and mission statement as innocuous as theirs.

Who isn't for the ethical treatment of animals?
PeTA apparently.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #56
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I never cared for how some of my really old Rankin Bass movies sometimes got censored when it made its conversion to DVD. Not very censored but Smal things would get edited out. Like the oh so mild swear word "damn" would be muted. Like in the last unicorn the word damn was used a handful of times and the were all taken out. Same with the secret of nymn, damn was removed from the DVD version. It's funny that these old movies had both content and mild language in it that was considered OK to be put into a kids film at one point but down the road it's is taken out.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #57
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Haha, I got a little confused when you mentioned Rankin Bass. My first thought was "I don't recall any swearing" because the most Rankin Bass I watched was the Christmas Specials. Then I remembered "Oh yeah, they did other stuff".
Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #58
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Literally everything probably had a moral outrage/panic. Just track down the works of Phil Phillips and John Hake Robie.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Religious people hate everything. News at 11.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #60
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote