The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #61
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
* Let IDW keep doing IDW's thing, though with the Nick shackles off. "Encourage" them to also either do a "MULTIVERSE" book that partially spotlights the Mirage universe, or an outright Mirage "Volume 5" book with talent new and old. Reprint everything they couldn't before (and if they aren't willing, take it all to Dark Horse... they've been itching to reprint everything for eons). Kiss Rick Veitch's ass and/or give him whatever he wants to get "The River" and such reprinted.
THIS! Very much this! All of the above! But, I'd get PL's approval before green-lighting Mirage Vol. 5, because I don't want to step on his toes if he gets the inspiration to do one last Vol. 4 issue (I always figured that was why IDW was it's own universe). I'd also commission Murphy and Allen to finally make "The Forever War" which would be published as a graphic novel and likely adapted into a DTV movie (see below).

Quote:
* Develop some kind of a Netflix series. This could be in the same universe as the aforementioned rebooted movie series, or maybe it's own thing.

* Pretty much always have a cartoon in active development or on the air to reel in the latest crop of kiddies. This could be whatever.
If I went the two shows route, I think I'd rather let the live-action show be the "kiddie show" to sell the toys, and the animated show would be a more serious take for older fans that combines Mirage, Archie, and original elements. Animation is a more important medium to me than live action. There would also be another TF/Transdimensional Turtles type special that features the Mirage Turtles more heavily and doesn't do the "Mirage Turtles are scary" thing.

And, on that note, the main thing I would do is have a line of direct to video "TMNT Multiverse" animated movies! They would be similar to the "DC Universe" animated movies that WB releases. There would be direct "Panel to screen" adaptations of memorable and important story-lines from Mirage, Archie, and IDW, as well as new adventures in the discontinued TV show universes (like a new FW or 4Kids TMNT adventure). "Return to NY", "City at War" and "Souls Winter" would be at the top of my list.

I'd also try to get a heavily Mirage-based live action theatrical film series off the ground, but that would just be "icing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
There is one factor that I'd have in my TMNT take:
Absolutely no magic. Unless there's a stage magician, but that doesn't count. And there probably wouldn't be one, though it would make an interesting annoyance.

In a story with (granted, kind of dumb) science at the heart of its creation, there is very little room for mysticism.
I strongly disagree with that, but it's your opinion, and I don't want to get into a thing with you. Just stating for the record that I'm fine with stories that blend sci-fi and magical fantasy.

Last edited by Tetsu Deinonychus; 03-22-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #62
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
If I was in control of tmnt, Id get the Fred Wolf Show to play on all the kids channels, have all the new shows cross over with FW, force every new version to pay Atleast 5-6 homages to FW and make FW the one and only definitive version
Ha, ha! I'm sure you'd get complaints from fans but not from me. Thumbs up!

Quote:
Absolutely no magic. Unless there's a stage magician, but that doesn't count. And there probably wouldn't be one, though it would make an interesting annoyance.

In a story with (granted, kind of dumb) science at the heart of its creation, there is very little room for mysticism.
I take it you didn't like the bit in the 1990 movie where Splinter's spirit appeared around the campfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
How do you quantify this? For example, if it was "75% Fred Wolf, 10% Archie", wouldn't April be a reporter? If anything there's more of 4kids in the series than there is Archie.
You're not cracking jokes and taking pot shots when it's your iteration of TMNT being criticised! Don't worry I'm only joking but you can see where I'm coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Dude, you're like the Jerry Seinfeld of this place... though I guess that makes me George Costanza!!!
Andrew has erm...strong feelings about about TMNT but would you argue with someone who looks like he could kill you? Andrew is scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelsIsolation View Post
Those splits of what IDW's TMNT is... is horrible. It's got more Fred Wolf in there than anything, but not by that much man.
I would like to add the Turtles reincarnation idea did not originate from the Fred Wolf cartoon.

Last edited by pferreira; 03-30-2017 at 09:40 AM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #63
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
THIS! Very much this! All of the above! But, I'd get PL's approval before green-lighting Mirage Vol. 5, because I don't want to step on his toes if he gets the inspiration to do one last Vol. 4 issue (I always figured that was why IDW was it's own universe). I'd also commission Murphy and Allen to finally make "The Forever War" which would be published as a graphic novel and likely adapted into a DTV movie (see below).

If I went the two shows route, I think I'd rather let the live-action show be the "kiddie show" to sell the toys, and the animated show would be a more serious take for older fans that combines Mirage, Archie, and original elements. Animation is a more important medium to me than live action. There would also be another TF/Transdimensional Turtles type special that features the Mirage Turtles more heavily and doesn't do the "Mirage Turtles are scary" thing.

And, on that note, the main thing I would do is have a line of direct to video "TMNT Multiverse" animated movies! They would be similar to the "DC Universe" animated movies that WB releases. There would be direct "Panel to screen" adaptations of memorable and important story-lines from Mirage, Archie, and IDW, as well as new adventures in the discontinued TV show universes (like a new FW or 4Kids TMNT adventure). "Return to NY", "City at War" and "Souls Winter" would be at the top of my list.

I'd also try to get a heavily Mirage-based live action theatrical film series off the ground, but that would just be "icing".

I strongly disagree with that, but it's your opinion, and I don't want to get into a thing with you. Just stating for the record that I'm fine with stories that blend sci-fi and magical fantasy.
I really like the idea of two separate shows, one for kids and one for adults. I wouldn't mind if the adult show was done live-action, like the Marvel Netflix series, but animated would be very cool too. We've never gotten a cool, well-done animated show or movie truly aimed at an older audience. Not that I know of, at least.

I like mysticism mixed in with TMNT too, I think it adds a really cool dimension to the whole property. IDW has I think almost mastered blending the sci-fi with fantasy and it works very well. I would like to see that done in other versions as well to see what else could be done with it. Of course, it also has the possibility of being really hokey and dumb. But such is the nature of studio executives
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
We've never gotten a cool, well-done animated show or movie truly aimed at an older audience.
I don't know that we need an animated show for adults. I'm not against it, I just don't see a burning need for that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #65
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Andrew has erm...strong feelings about about TMNT but would you argue with someone who looks like he could kill you? Andrew is scary.
Or so you think. Yea sure he's rough around the edges and he likes to act like he's hot sh*t, but he's no different than you or me... to an extent.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #66
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
I don't know that we need an animated show for adults. I'm not against it, I just don't see a burning need for that.
Well, live-action or animation is just a surface detail, and it really doesn't matter which show is which. But, since I have a preference for animation, and I think it suits TMNT and comic adaptations in general (being more closely related to comics than live-action film is) I would probably take the animated version more seriously if I was running things.

Also, kids these days are more into live action "teen-coms" than cartoons, and the Turtles are supposedly teenagers, so I'd have sort of a "TMNT: The Animated Series" for hardcore Turtle-fans and rope new kids in with more of a "Turtle Meets World" (well, not quite that far) that combines humor and action with growing-up/life-lesson stuff for the kids.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #67
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I'd reboot the FW Turtles while we have a chance, most of the VAs still there, and also needs a good story. Probably Archie Adventures and I'd like to see some of the Mirage stories adapted into the FW format.

AND A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. because the Fred Wolf Cartoon has no Christmas special.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #68
Jephael

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
I'd reboot the FW Turtles while we have a chance, most of the VAs still there, and also needs a good story. Probably Archie Adventures and I'd like to see some of the Mirage stories adapted into the FW format.

AND A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. because the Fred Wolf Cartoon has no Christmas special.
That's exactly what I had in mind when I was writing my little 2034 treatment... though it was ultimately scrapped.

www.jephael.com
Old 03-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Mirage stories adapted into the FW format.
... excuse me?

Quote:
Yeah, what the heck was up with that?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #70
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

A Fred Wolf style "Return to NY" or "City at War" would be an interesting experiment.

The fugitoid/triceratons arc would fit pretty well. I think that's where FW TMNT got it's original tone from really.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #71
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I take it you didn't like the bit in the 1990 movie where Splinter's spirit appeared around the campfire?
I haven't even seen the 90's live action movies . I know enough about it to think it's a sweet idea, but it's where I'd draw the line.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I haven't even seen the 90's live action movies . I know enough about it to think it's a sweet idea, but it's where I'd draw the line.
You should at least watch the first movie, it's required viewing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #73
ToTheNines
[sic]

I normally hate when cubed acts like a thought-policing facist, but.... yeeeeah. Please go watch the 1990 movie immediately. It's making me sad that you haven't had the pleasure.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #74
Jephael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I normally hate when cubed acts like a thought-policing facist, but....
I'd say he's more of a control freak
This should really be his avatar!!!

www.jephael.com
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 AM   #75
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Wow, that's surprising. I definitely recommend it, there's a reason why so many people have watched it. The sequels aren't as good, but they've still got some stuff going for them.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:29 AM   #76
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's just not something that's not really captured my interest.

Though, I am considering recording my reactions while I watch it and clipping together the best of them together.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #77
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Or so you think. Yea sure he's rough around the edges and he likes to act like he's hot sh*t, but he's no different than you or me... to an extent.
Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, what the heck was up with that?
Good idea! It didn't have a Halloween episode either but got an Easter one. The reason CBS never requested one was probably because of when it was scheduled to run.

Quote:
Oh yeah please feel free to see it even though you'll probably cringe at that part since you don't like TMNT mixed with spiritual/fantasy stuff.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #78
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
A Fred Wolf style "Return to NY" or "City at War" would be an interesting experiment.
That sounds truly ghastly. The 4Kids "adaptation" of those stories was painfully horrid as it was... I can't even imagine what the FW equivalent would be, but it would be 180 degrees from anything resembling "Good."
Old 04-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #79
Prowler
Emperor

Total control? As in beyond realistic powers? Well OK then:

1. Purge the Bay Turtles stuff from existence and wipe out the memories of everyone who has seen it with Men in Black's neuralyzer... actually no, scratch that. History needs to be remembered in order not to repeat itself. But alas, never let Michael Bay touch the Turtles with a ten foot pole AGAIN.

2. Make a TMNT cartoon for a more mature audience and closer to Mirage. Not even a Mirage purist myself, but that universe deserves that sort of recognition. And if American studios wouldn't want to pick up that then I'd take my project to a Japanese studio instead.

3. Give the 2k3 series a goddamn proper DVD release.

4. Sell the TMNT licence to a video game developer that would REALLY make an effort to make an above average game out of the TMNT. Like going back to the concept of the first ever TMNT NES game but actually executing it well this time. Radical Rescue had good ideas as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #80
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
4. Sell the TMNT licence to a video game developer that would REALLY make an effort to make an above average game out of the TMNT.
The thing is, there is hardly ever like a bidding war for the TMNT video game license. Nobody wants it. You get the license, you still have to pay a full staff and crew to make it, and in this day and age to make a "good" game on the current platforms, that's not cheap. The last two games' underperformance doesn't make a good case for game studios to throw even more money at the problem to see if a different result will be had.

It'd need to be self-financed.