The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #461
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I mean think about it in real life terms. A person in their 30's is obviously a lot different than someone when they're only 18. People mature, grow up, or in this case...become evil and competent. Remember Anakin in the prequels was basically an older teen.
I think about real life terms and in real life whiny and easily manipulated fools become losers, no matter how talented they are, not badass charismatic generals who can successfully lead people.

This is the problem, with Anakin - if Episodes 2 and 3 had his character any of those qualities, I would have believed it. As is stands - there is nothing. Surprisingly enough, Anakin from Episode 1, no matter how much Marty Sue he arguably was, was actually much closer to what I am talking about.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #462
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I think about real life terms and in real life whiny and easily manipulated fools become losers, no matter how talented they are, not badass charismatic generals who can successfully lead people..
Darth Vader was a glorified lackey for Emperor Palpatine in his entire run. And you're wrong, most teenagers are whiny, immature and everyone matures once they become adults.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #463
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Darth Vader was a glorified lackey for Emperor Palpatine in his entire run. And you're wrong, most teenagers are whiny, immature and everyone matures once they become adults.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #464
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

There is something different about the look of this that I can’t put my finger on. The cinematography seems a little off. Might just be the trailer, but there’s something going on there.

I hope they haven’t given too much away in that trailer either. The ep.7 previews felt more vague on plot points, which I personally prefer. It’s Star Wars; people will go to see it even if the trailer is just Chewie sitting on a sun lounge for three minutes.

Otherwise, it looks pretty cool. Rey’s doing cool things, Phasma is ambulant, Luke is a hobo... can’t wait to see it.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #465
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
There is something different about the look of this that I can’t put my finger on. The cinematography seems a little off. Might just be the trailer, but there’s something going on there.
The shots are not composed as well as previous SW films - everything feels like it's too big for the frame. That was my gut feeling watching as well.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #466
sdp
Megan Fox = April

My significant other had never seen a Star Wars movie and Episode VII was her first, she was surprised and liked how the hero was a girl.

I personally love the idea of Rey being the main Jedi and hero, but if we take a look at the movie she is literally the definition of Mary Sue so I think that hurts her as a feminist icon though I'm sure she is considered one. She was just "good" at everything, if we take a look at Luke he had to earn everything and that's who she was trying to mimic.

I don't think Finn will be a Jedi and if he does he won't be replacing Rey, just imagine all the backlash it would get for having a "man" replace a woman as the main hero after teasing that Rey would be the hero. Finn is awesome though and doesn't need to be a Jedi, but I'd love both Rey and Finn being Jedi. I do have a black friend who hates Finn and feels that it's prejudice that Finn was treated the way he was in TFA.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #467
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I am sorry, but your personal issues with your teenagehood are not necessarily normal for all other people.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 AM   #468
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I am sorry, but your personal issues with your teenagehood are not necessarily normal for all other people.
Your entire argument was that Darth Vader can't be competent because Anakin was a whiny teenager. I then told you we had a 17-18 year timeskip from when we saw Anakin in Episode 3 to Darth Vader in Episode 4. You do realize that's two decades, right?

Darth Vader had 17+ years working exclusively for the Emperor while his Anakin years were a teenager. Are you seriously saying you don't think people change form their teenage years to adult years? I mean I find it bizarre I even have to say this, and you're talking about a character also changed by the dark side on top of that.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #469
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Your entire argument was that Darth Vader can't be competent because Anakin was a whiny teenager.
Please, read again what I've written. Preferably with your eyes, not your ass.

My entire argument, that Anakin, as he was portrayed in Ep 2 & 3, has not even a single charismatic and leader-like bone in his body. Nothing.
I would be cool with him being emotional, if at the same time he had shown at least some of the characteristics of a competent leader in the movies. But he has shown absolutely nothing like that. He was more similar to what I've expected from young Vader, back in Episode 1.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #470
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep. they fixed ALOT of what was wrong with vader in the animated series.
that proves lucas lead star wars can be good, so long as someone keeps lucas in check with some of his ideas.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #471
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Exactly, I think many but not most Star Wars fans realize this, it's only when Lucas has complete control that thing go bad.

Lucas gets a lot of hate but Lucas is Star Wars, he just needs his ideas to be polished by other people along the way.

Star Wars without Lucas however is just what people think Star Wars is i.e. wanking to the OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
that proves lucas lead star wars can be good, so long as someone keeps lucas in check with some of his ideas.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #472
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'd love both Rey and Finn being Jedi. I do have a black friend who hates Finn and feels that it's prejudice that Finn was treated the way he was in TFA.
The marketing for VII does seem like a bait-and-switch, in retrospect. You might have thought Finn was going to be the main hero, but that was certainly not the case...

I also never liked the fact that Finn's name is given to him, and you could draw a lot of comparisons between his situation (being taken as a child, etc.) and slavery. It's somewhat nit-picky and doesn't make me hate the movie, but it's definitely there.

The trailer for VIII does seem to indicate that he will actually have something to do in this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #473
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Please, read again what I've written. Preferably with your eyes, not your ass.
Given the sheer mass of bans on the forum lately, I don't why you're purposely flame-baiting.

Quote:
My entire argument, that Anakin, as he was portrayed in Ep 2 & 3, has not even a single charismatic and leader-like bone in his body. Nothing.
I would be cool with him being emotional, if at the same time he had shown at least some of the characteristics of a competent leader in the movies. But he has shown absolutely nothing like that. He was more similar to what I've expected from young Vader, back in Episode 1.
I understand this, but Anakin was never intended to be a charismatic leader in the prequel trilogy. For most of it he's Obi-wan's apprentice to begin with, even when he started making his own choices Obi-wan kept reprimanded him telling him not to challenge the Jedi Council and that "his time will come." Anakin wanted to become a master, and he along with Mace Windu kept reminding him of his place.

And as I'm saying, 17 years is enough to change a man controlled by the dark side into a formidable leader. Luke was just born a baby in Episode 3, in Episode 4 he's around 17 I believe, so there's a 17 year timeskip there. 17 years of working for the dark side would obviously change a man.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #474
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Given the sheer mass of bans on the forum lately, I don't why you're purposely flame-baiting.
It's not my problem that you can not read and understand what is written.

Quote:
I understand this, but Anakin was never intended to be a charismatic leader in the prequel trilogy.
Even so, he should had some kind of leader-like bone. Some seeds of being great leader. Otherwise, his transformation into Vader doesn't make sense and comes out of nowhere.

Quote:
And as I'm saying, 17 years is enough to change a man controlled by the dark side into a formidable leader. Luke was just born a baby in Episode 3, in Episode 4 he's around 17 I believe, so there's a 17 year timeskip there. 17 years of working for the dark side would obviously change a man.
Change is one thing.
Acquiring qualities that never was hinted before - is another.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #475
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Even so, he should had some kind of leader-like bone. Some seeds of being great leader. Otherwise, his transformation into Vader doesn't make sense and comes out of nowhere.
He is an incredibly powerful Force wielder, right-hand man of the Emperor, who leads an army of men whose sole purpose in life is to serve the Empire. He doesn't need to inspire men to join him, he's got an army ready to go. He leads by fear and naked authority, not by inspiring the troops. Even in the original SW film, Vader doesn't have any charisma or motivational style by which he commands, he just rules over the Imperial army because he is their authority. Where in the OT do you see these "great leader" qualities in Vader?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #476
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
He is an incredibly powerful Force wielder, right-hand man of the Emperor, who leads an army of men whose sole purpose in life is to serve the Empire. He doesn't need to inspire men to join him, he's got an army ready to go. He leads by fear and naked authority, not by inspiring the troops. Even in the original SW film, Vader doesn't have any charisma or motivational style by which he commands, he just rules over the Imperial army because he is their authority. Where in the OT do you see these "great leader" qualities in Vader?
Yeah, I'm with you and to a lesser extent, CyberCubed. It's entirely plausible for Anakin to become Vader. If anything, Vader force choking that dude can be considered kind of whiny. Tarkin even had to be like "yo, chill"!

Last edited by Cure; 10-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #477
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Where in the OT do you see these "great leader" qualities in Vader?
Dunno how you see Vader in OT, but I saw him as charismatic leader commanding his troops through fear and respect (not in the least because he was not shying away from taking part in battles himself). It might not necessarily come through the storytelling, but through his mannerism and performance.
Something that was thoroughly lacking in Anakin portrayal and Ep 2 & 3. On the other hand, almost everyone performance was lacking in the Prequels.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #478
TheSkeletonMan939

What charisma does Vader have? Someone with charisma has a winning personality, like "wow, I want to be friends with that guy!" The Imperial officers either have open distaste for him ("your sad devotion to that ancient religion...") or are greatly intimidated by him (Jerjerrod in RotJ) or really don't say anything at all. Vader will publicly choke you to death if you mess up. The closest thing to a relationship he has to any of the Imperial officers is Tarkin, who treats Vader like a dog.

This is why people think Boba Fett is so cool - he talks up to Vader and almost converses with him like a partner. Vader has no partners in the Empire, only tools.

If you want charisma, look at Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, not Darth effing Vader.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #479
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Vader in the Disney-era OT comics is one scary dude.

Some characters try to befriend him/make him an ally, but his lack of trust in anyone makes it impossible for them to do so. Like TheSkeletonMan939 said, people are tools for him.

But he himself was a tool for Watto, then the Jedi, then the Sith, so maybe his behavior is a product of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 AM   #480
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
What charisma does Vader have? Someone with charisma has a winning personality, like "wow, I want to be friends with that guy!"
Charisma means:
Quote:
compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.
It has nothing to do with "friendship". Military commander can be charismatic leader, but it doesn't mean that you want to be friends with him.

Vader, through mannerism, channels strength and assuredness. It doesn't make him "good guy".

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw