The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

My head goes crazy on what the next possible "live action" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie could be, but I also need to remind myself to keep my expectations and hype in check because generally what I would WANT to see in a TMNT movie isn't probably what Viacom has in mind. I don't understand why TMNT has to be thrown in as a "kiddie" style money maker when Marvel seems to be getting the formula right. You make a good action movie with depth and story that also can sell toys ... it doesn't seem to be that difficult, but the big issue is that Paramount and Viacom don't have a Marvel Studios type production company to help steer the ship.

I've read where some people feel those PD films tried to go in that style, but good lord almighty was it not. I get furious when I think about the 2014 film and because of OotS's disappointing numbers, I wonder if the next thing out of the gate is going to be animated? I hope not, but I can see that being their "safe" option. Like many have said, I also hope that it is it's own thing and doesn't reflect the designs of what the Bay Turtles and Rise are going for. I can't stand the radically different designs among the four of them, but I know that's what helps sell toys these days as opposed to all four Turtles looking very similar and it's up to character development and writing to help an audience learn the differences between all four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I really hope the next one is more lower scale and more grounded, no more "Power Armor Shredder" or "Portal in the Sky"
Same here. I wish the studio would take a risk and go for something that doesn't have to be this 100+ million dollar investment to make ... if a grounded film makes a good amount of money and the story naturally progesses into something more expensive, I'd be all for it - but being burned by OoTS hopefully would make Viacom learn their lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I think the good news is we have likely hit the "lowest of the low" when it comes to TMNT films. All due respect if you enjoy Platinum Dunes, but to many, the fact that they are so off-base and plummeted at the box office, means the next direction will at least feel much closer to home and comfortable. I'd think.
I really hope so. The formula to get it right is there, they just need a great creative team behind it and a studio that's willing to make it come to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It just got delayed after Nick bought the franchise and that turned into PD, right?
It did ... apparently Paramount wasn't too keen on the original John Fusco script anyway. How that hasn't leaked yet still shocks me.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #22
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Paramount as a studio isn't in the position to take chances now. There was a recent change to the head of the studio and I'm sure he's currently looking through IPs they own and can exploit but the recent BO disaster means they won't see it as a viable IP to make money off of right now.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Esp since they've bombed on some other films too in past few years, right? They might be wise to be skittish of their choices.

Just a shame that TMNT has to lose out due to their own decisions or those of related companies.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

While we can't get inside the minds of those in charge, I think it's fair to say they could have a more complex take-away from the PD films than just "TMNT films don't make money".

They will do at least a little market research. They will see how the first film opened to strong numbers before a fairly healthy drop off, and they will see that the sequel, "Out of the Shadows" essentially flopped right out the door.

The question, to me, is which message will they take away. I think they will either decide that the vision of the first film soured it all from the beginning, allowing the audience to write-off any other TMNT films that even resembled it. Or they may conclude that the first film was on the right track, but the sequel took a bad swerve in it's attempt to pander to Fred Wolf fans and even younger audiences than the first.

If were lucky, they'll think it through even deeper than that. Truly dissecting what worked (hey there were elements of the PD films that were exciting, in concept, if nothing else) and what did not work (I don't need to spell it out for you).
Maybe they'll even take a page from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (The most successful Comic book movie franchise ever) and go back to the comics in an attempt to find the "souls" of the characters and what made us all fall in love with them in the first place.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

With all the sweet, sweet CBM cinematic universe $$$$$ out there for the taking, Viacom HAS to be itching to get back in the game with the Turtles.

Transformers, X-Men, Avengers, Justice League, Kingsman, etc etc ...

Get in the game, Turtles. And bring your damn A-game.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If anything is being done it’s probably just thinking up ideas.
Who is thinking up these ideas? Nickelodeon? Paramount? No, that's not the way this works. When they decide they want to make a new TMNT movie, they'll hire a studio like Platinum Dunes to put together a production, hire a crew, and start a story.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #27
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Maybe they'll even take a page from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (The most successful Comic book movie franchise ever) and go back to the comics in an attempt to find the "souls" of the characters and what made us all fall in love with them in the first place.
One can only hope!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Or they may conclude that the first film was on the right track, but the sequel took a bad swerve in it's attempt to pander to Fred Wolf fans and even younger audiences than the first.
Which would be unfortunate to assume based on dollar signs. IF they were smart, they'd put people to work actually doing some valid research on what portions of both worked and what didn't. First had a stronger story, but both stories are arguably lame and anticlimactic. (I mean, both times the city or world are under threat, but the major primary threat NEVER actually did any real harm outside of what happens to the Turtles themselves. It would have been more impactful to have them - or them labeled as "unknown heroes" - hailed as heroes later if the city/world is actually saved after some of the damage has already been done... not stop it before the 'good' stuff even happens.)

The second could drop trying to emulate FW. But keep the better attempt at putting some heart into it, the better interactions between the brothers, and the attempt at a bit of down time with them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #29
Shark_Blade
Emperor

If Teen Titans Go! gets a new movie this July, why not TMNT?

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #30
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Who is thinking up these ideas? Nickelodeon? Paramount? No, that's not the way this works. When they decide they want to make a new TMNT movie, they'll hire a studio like Platinum Dunes to put together a production, hire a crew, and start a story.
How do you know that? I don’t know for sure either but some people at Nick could be in charge of coming up with concepts whenever they decide to. What’s so odd about that? They own it.

Last edited by Wildcat; 03-28-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
How do you know that? I don’t know for sure either but someone at Nick could be in charge of coming up with concepts whenever they decide to. What’s so odd about that? They own it.
There is no precedent for that with Nickelodeon, either with their other movies or with "their" TMNT movies.

Though there will probably be a higher degree of quality control on whatever movie comes next from Nick/Viacom (vs., hire a studio and just let them do whatever because they've done other stuff that's made money). The obvious worry, unfortunately, is that it may be the wrong kind of quality control.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #32
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
There is no precedent for that with Nickelodeon, either with their other movies or with "their" TMNT movies.

Though there will probably be a higher degree of quality control on whatever movie comes next from Nick/Viacom (vs., hire a studio and just let them do whatever because they've done other stuff that's made money). The obvious worry, unfortunately, is that it may be the wrong kind of quality control.
Well I have no idea what Nick’s process is but I assume if they really want they would come up with their own idea for a movie and give that to a studio.

I can still see people tasked with brainstorming ideas for future reference. Especially after the PD movies did poorly.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #33
newfan
Mad Scientist

If we do get one hopefully it won't be a Rise movie (cause that could happen), not trying to upset those hyped for Rise but as that will be the current series I'd prefer something else for a movie.

Last edited by newfan; 03-29-2018 at 12:00 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:05 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well I have no idea what Nick’s process is but I assume if they really want they would come up with their own idea for a movie and give that to a studio.
They technically could do that. There just isn't any historical traction behind that with Nick. Could "TMNT: The Movie, Part 7" be the one to break the mold? Eh... it's possible, just not very likely.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #35
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Why couldn’t Nick get the team at IDW to submit a script?

That seems to make a lot of sense to me. Don’t comics and movies both start with storyboards? Admittedly I know little about the movie and comics industry. However I thought Hollywood was going wild trying to adapt comics for the big screen. Oh and the small screen like walking dead, the runaways, etc.

It wouldn’t even need to be previous IDW TMNT issues. Could be a new idea from team IDW. Just have them submit a script. It will be far better than outsourcing a TMNT movie to some random company.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Why couldn’t Nick get the team at IDW to submit a script?
Probably because they're not Hollywood screenwriters.

Quote:
That seems to make a lot of sense to me. Don’t comics and movies both start with storyboards?
Comics can start with layouts. Movies can start with storyboards. Neither are required.

Quote:
It wouldn’t even need to be previous IDW TMNT issues. Could be a new idea from team IDW. Just have them submit a script. It will be far better than outsourcing a TMNT movie to some random company.
Well, you're not wrong there.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #37
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Probably because they're not Hollywood screenwriters.
Oh. So maybe Nick can’t legally accept scripts from them unless the writers are official union members or something? Laaamme!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Oh. So maybe Nick can’t legally accept scripts from them unless the writers are official union members or something? Laaamme!
I guess they could, technically, but why would they? Writing for comics is not remotely the same beast as writing for film. I say that as someone who has done both and taken film class.

You don't generally start your 150 million dollar-budgeted movie by hiring people who haven't ever worked on movies.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #39
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
I guess they could, technically, but why would they? Writing for comics is not remotely the same beast as writing for film. I say that as someone who has done both and taken film class.

You don't generally start your 150 million dollar-budgeted movie by hiring people who haven't ever worked on movies.
Hire a professional screen writer as part of the team. I’m not certain about IDW’s creative process. But I’m guessing some sort of round table brainstorm session happens. Or could happen. Have a Nick approved screenwriter sit in on multiple meetings with the TMNT IDW team. During all these sessions everyone will have the goal of producing a better movie script than the previous. It can’t really get worse. IMO
Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #40
pferreira
Foot Elite

If they make another TMNT film soon I expect a couple of years after the new show comes out. Like with Nick I don't expect the next movie to follow the new cartoon series. It will be it's own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Still, OotS did end with the clear intention of making a sequel. I'm morbidly curious if they would have been able to make an even worse movie than OotS. I almost wish PD churned out another dogturd for this reason.
So you hate the films with a passion but you wanted another???

Quote:
I think the good news is we have likely hit the "lowest of the low" when it comes to TMNT films. All due respect if you enjoy Platinum Dunes, but to many, the fact that they are so off-base and plummeted at the box office, means the next direction will at least feel much closer to home and comfortable. I'd think.
People are quick to pretend the PD movies are being forgot about until last weekend I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsWrxjK4jw&t=40s
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote