The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
DWC
Banned

Does the "Paradox of Choice" bother anybody else?

Honestly, I feel like life was easier in simpler times, before we were bombarded with all of these entertainment options.

There are so many songs, TV series, films, cartoons, books, comics, video games etc vying for our attention that it's utterly overwhelming and difficult to commit to something. There's so much I want to see and do that it feels like I am ticking things off a list so that I can get to the next thing. Almost like I want to experience everything It's like I have no powers of selectivity whatsoever.

It doesn't help when Netflix and Amazon and other streaming services offer thousands and thousands of TV shows and films for consumption.

I got Steam on my computer last year and since then I've fallen into the Steam Sales trap - buying games dirt cheap and not really playing them. The only games I have logged significant hours on are Mortal Kombat 9,Injustice: Gods Among Us, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. I got all of those for only £3.75 each so it's been worth it, but still...

Does anybody else have this problem? I just feel like there's so much I am interested in and it would take me ten lifetimes to consume it all.

I think I have a problem and need to realise I don't have to go through everything and just try to select one or two things at a time and enjoy them.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I feel you man, I used to have the same dilemma in my life all the time. With so many things to choose, what if I am missing out on something great?

It took me a long time, but I eventually figured out that the key to the paradox of choice is not to base your happiness on choice, but rather be happy first. Choice is fundamentally just an excuse to delay our happiness, (I won't be happy until things go my way! For example) so I learned to go with the flow and not be consumed with the thought of missing out.

My words are only words, but I truly believe my philosophy works as it has worked for me. Good luck my friend.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
DWC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I feel you man, I used to have the same dilemma in my life all the time. With so many things to choose, what if I am missing out on something great?

It took me a long time, but I eventually figured out that the key to the paradox of choice is not to base your happiness on choice, but rather be happy first. Choice is fundamentally just an excuse to delay our happiness, (I won't be happy until things go my way! For example) so I learned to go with the flow and not be consumed with the thought of missing out.

My words are only words, but I truly believe my philosophy works as it has worked for me. Good luck my friend.
Thanks buddy, that's a good way of looking at it. I've felt this way for a long time and it's a consequence of the fast world we live in, bombarded with information.

As you correctly say, choice is just an excuse to delay happiness so I will try not to let it consume me. Thanks for the advice man
Old 04-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

I'm such a creature of habit, so I don't think I typically experience this much, and probably less with age.

I don't even have any must see tv shows anymore, the Turtles were it, but now that they're done for now... Eh. My mom tries to talk to me about these popular shows that she likes that are big... all the Walking Dead stuff and things like that and I just couldn't care less to bother with it all. I think a lot of things just fall into a "maybe someday" category if I choose to get around to checking something out, be it a show, movie series, game, or whatever unless it truly interests me enough to take priority.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
DWC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
https://i.imgur.com/87rf0qu.png

I'm such a creature of habit, so I don't think I typically experience this much, and probably less with age.

I don't even have any must see tv shows anymore, the Turtles were it, but now that they're done for now... Eh. My mom tries to talk to me about these popular shows that she likes that are big... all the Walking Dead stuff and things like that and I just couldn't care less to bother with it all. I think a lot of things just fall into a "maybe someday" category if I choose to get around to checking something out, be it a show, movie series, game, or whatever unless it truly interests me enough to take priority.
I wish I was like that, I think I am just greedy and want to experience everything.

On a side note, I gave up The Walking Dead during season 6, it just gets silly.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Yeah, while I wouldn't want to go back to the days where you couldn't afford to miss a new episode on tv, sometimes all of that modern availability isn't that good.

You could literally watch a bunch of shows now or get some games, even for free. yet you don't. I guess because it's so easy and there's os much choice that it makes it hard to decide on one in particular and commit to it, and also because it's way too easy these days and that sorta kills the joy of finding something you haven't tried before. I remember back when I was a kid accidentally discovering a lot of my favourite cartoons and tv shows and movies, because suddenly one day I landed on the v channel airing them.

It's funny how nowadays, when it's easier than ever to watch movies and tv shows, I watch less stuff than ever
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
DWC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, while I wouldn't want to go back to the days where you couldn't afford to miss a new episode on tv, sometimes all of that modern availability isn't that good.

You could literally watch a bunch of shows now or get some games, even for free. yet you don't. I guess because it's so easy and there's os much choice that it makes it hard to decide on one in particular and commit to it, and also because it's way too easy these days and that sorta kills the joy of finding something you haven't tried before. I remember back when I was a kid accidentally discovering a lot of my favourite cartoons and tv shows and movies, because suddenly one day I landed on the v channel airing them.

It's funny how nowadays, when it's easier than ever to watch movies and tv shows, I watch less stuff than ever
Hahaha yep, there's no sense of discovery anymore and far too much choice.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

No I'm not bothered by it
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Nah, not really. Never really had FOMO.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is why:

- I watch all movies and TV shows on 1.5x speed. If you have a backlog of shows or movies you want to marathon through, you'll get through it in half the time.

- Outside of TMNT, I don't really read comic books

- I don't read "real" books as in novels either.

- I play 2 hours of videogames a night, but I mainly play single player games. Online multiplayer is fun for a while but it's generally a waste of time, you're not finishing videogames if all you do is play online. I beat around 30-40 single player games a year, if not more.

I never have a backlog. Once I finish one thing I immediately move on to the next. Of course I like rewatching my favorite shows too from time to time, so I generally make a schedule when I want to marathon epsiodes of an old show I've seen before. I do everything on a schedule and get things done. It's called, "living your life on the fast lane."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

- I watch all movies and TV shows on 1.5x speed. If you have a backlog of shows or movies you want to marathon through, you'll get through it in half the time.
Math isn't your strong point.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I do everything on a schedule and get things done. It's called, "living your life on the fast lane."
I don't think that's what 'they' mean by that term...

I'm guessing now though that in some regards you're a bit of a completionist, huh? What with the mental check list and getting to and through things in the quickest, most efficient manner possible.

But do you ever really enjoy it...? Is it always just a rush to get to the end to move on to the next thing, or do you ever go back to normal speed and savor a thing for a bit? Enjoy it and let it sink in?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I’m the type of person that obsessives over one thing I like. When I was into music it was 90% of my life/free time. Now it’s collecting hard cover editions of comics and reading comics and graphic novels. Also watching YouTube videos and reading articles about the subject. My TMNT toy and merch collecting is slowing because of this.

Shows:
There is lots to choose from but not all quality. I usually give shows on Netflix and Hulu about ten minuets to hook me. Most shows lose my interest quickly. Some shows make it past the ten minutes and I’ll get about a half season in before I stop watching. It’s a rare show that gets me to watch the entire season or series. Last movie I seen in theater was first Avengers movie, iirc. So going to the movies isn’t a thing that takes my time or money.

Music:
I only listen to the occasional YouTube song or radio song when driving. I haven’t purchased music in forever, or downloaded any. I once spent a lot of time and money on buying music and playing guitar. Funny how I could care less about that stuff now. Hobbies and priorities shift with time. I even sold my record player. Kept the records though. Also have all my CDs from over last 20 years.

Comics:
I like to read every night for hopefully one or two hours. I try not to do blind buys. I bought Watchmen because of the hype and recommendations. Couldn’t finish it. Boring and dated imo.

Video games:
I got the SNES classic and Xbox 360 and some retro handhelds. I rarely and I mean rarely play any of them.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I’m the type of person that obsessives over one thing I like. When I was into music it was 90% of my life/free time. Now it’s collecting hard cover editions of comics and reading comics and graphic novels. Also watching YouTube videos and reading articles about the subject. My TMNT toy and merch collecting is slowing because of this.
I'm kind of like that as well. I tend to go through phases/bursts with my interests.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Not really. Most tv shows, films, music and video games don’t interest me nowadays.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-02-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote