The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Mirage (vol 1) vs Idw (-50)
Mirage 42 47.19%
IDW 47 52.81%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It never had to build to some jawdropping finale. That would've been weird. It already had a finale, "City at War." Everything after, while great at best, has been downhill from that shining moment of endgame awesome.
It's funny to think about. "City at War" was the last clearly defined story arc/storyline of any kind in Mirage. As that marked the last involvement of Kevin of any kind beyond covers and after that it was strictly Peter... I think it's safe to conclude that Peter doesn't like clearly defined story arcs/storylines but rather just a free-flowing narrative that keeps continuing. I'm pretty sure if Vol. 2 hadn't have been discontinued, that story would have eventually bled seamlessly into what we know of now as Vol. 4 without any storyline conclusions or anything.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's funny to think about. "City at War" was the last clearly defined story arc/storyline of any kind in Mirage. As that marked the last involvement of Kevin of any kind beyond covers and after that it was strictly Peter... I think it's safe to conclude that Peter doesn't like clearly defined story arcs/storylines but rather just a free-flowing narrative that keeps continuing. I'm pretty sure if Vol. 2 hadn't have been discontinued, that story would have eventually bled seamlessly into what we know of now as Vol. 4 without any storyline conclusions or anything.
I disagree. Lawson was more heavily involved in Volume 2's plot and direction, whereas Volume 4 he did art only and it was all Laird's brainchild.

Isn't that how it went? Or am I misremembering the credits?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I disagree. Lawson was more heavily involved in Volume 2's plot and direction, whereas Volume 4 he did art only and it was all Laird's brainchild.

Isn't that how it went? Or am I misremembering the credits?
Shoot, I don't know. I do remember hearing Lawson was more heavily involved in Vol. 2's storyline than initially thought, but much, much later on Laird talked about the writing process with Lawson, how it's largely a multi-step process. 1) Laird writes up rough summaries of an issue's story and gives them to Jim, 2) Jim draws all the pages and writes initial blurbs of dialogue and captions on his own, 3) Peter goes back in and revises/fluffs up/adds to what Jim wrote. I kind of assumed their process in Vol. 4 was the same as their process in Vol. 2. That's my understanding, anyway.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Shoot, I don't know. I do remember hearing Lawson was more heavily involved in Vol. 2's storyline than initially thought, but much, much later on Laird talked about the writing process with Lawson, how it's largely a multi-step process. 1) Laird writes up rough summaries of an issue's story and gives them to Jim, 2) Jim draws all the pages and writes initial blurbs of dialogue and captions on his own, 3) Peter goes back in and revises/fluffs up/adds to what Jim wrote. I kind of assumed their process in Vol. 4 was the same as their process in Vol. 2. That's my understanding, anyway.
I guess that would make more sense.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #45
neatoman
Emperor

Huh, I could have sworn I commented on this topic before...

Anyway, that's some even poll after two years.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #46
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Mirage, easily.

IDW is an impressive remix of all previous versions. And, it's pretty entertaining, but the pacing is frustratingly slow and it doesn't have quite as much of a "bite" as Mirage (not just in action/violence, as I don't care as much about that, but emotionally).

Mirage in addition to being the original source material (TMNT doesn't get much more pure than that). And, it has all the grit and all the emotional punch (both the somber "Life at best is bitterweet" moments,and the heartwarming "Life is good and life goes on" moments) that I feel are what really make Mirage the "mature" version.

Now continuity is a bit of a mess, and there's unfinished stories all over the place, and the "guest era" is hit (Souls Winter) or miss (Spaced Out), but I still say Mirage gets the nod, by a fairly wide margin.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #47
pferreira
Foot Elite

Mirage by far.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #48
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I just broke the tie! It was 37 to 37 as of June, 14th, 2020. Now IDW is in the lead by a hair @ 38.

I am torn on this however. I want Mirage to be the best because of Issues 1-11, NORTHAMPTON Return to New York, Tales Vol. 1 (The Rat King issue is amazing), City At War, plus the wonderful micros... and then the brilliant moments of the guest era like The River. They're some of the best Turtle stories and some of the best comic books I have ever read. A lot of the guest era just plain blows chunks.

That said, IDW (more particularly the first 50 issues, along with background in the micros) gave me nearly everything I ever wanted in a turtle book. IDW's Shredder was exactly the Shredder I have always wanted. Post issue 50, Splinter's character arc and journey to bad-ass, relentless leader of The Foot Clan, flirting with his own inner darkness, was what kept me onboard. Seeing the TMNT grow and change throughout a nearly ten year continuity has been a blast. It's adult and mature enough to be worth my time yet has some of the kiddie-turtleisms that tickle my childhood too. Most importantly though, TMNT was cohesive. That said, a lot of the side-plots and introductions of new characters has made me exhausted.

So, each version is great. Each has its flaws. Neither are perfect. For me IDW edges out for the win. And I JUST BROKE THIS TIE, mofos!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #49
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So when does this poll end exactly?
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #50
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
So when does this poll end exactly?
Let's keep it open. I love polls like this.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #51
Allio
Foot Elite

Would you guys want to do a volume 2/3 vs 51-100 thread?
Old 06-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #52
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Would you guys want to do a volume 2/3 vs 51-100 thread?
YES! Why not?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #53
LUIS
Random Punk

Mirage has some great highs (RtNY, City at war, the micro series and a lot of Tales Vol. 2 issues and the guest era)but it has a lot of lows too (Most of the guest era, I find Vol. 2 and 4 rather boring too) Same for IDW (City Fall, Krang War, SHotFC, the Ghostbusters crossovers, the Bebop and Rocksteady minies to name a few are great) but I would lie if I don't feel some sort of spark was lost after #50, it felt without direction (though I don't find it as boring as Vol. 2 and 4) and some horrible minies like Casey and April and most of Krank's trial mini too. So yeah, Mirage highs are greater than IDW's but so are it's lows.
LUIS is offline   Reply With Quote