The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

How do you inventory your toys?

I think it would be really neat to see how folks here inventory their gear. Does anyone use an application or other means of inventory?

I'm a software engineer for Macy’s INC. I typically develop desktop applications that are used for data mining. My most recent project made me think about inventory of my toys. I’m thinking of perhaps putting something together that allows me to have a picture of my toy, a description, how much I paid etc... It would basically be a data mining application with all the pertinent information about my toys I have collected over the years.

I’ve seen web applications that do this, but they are incredibly slow. I’m sure the one I tried was on an old computer in someone’s basement, collecting all my information and laughing at me as I try to retrieve it. *muhahahaha*

Aaaaanyhow, there it is. How do you inventory your toys.

Last edited by papa_smurf73; 10-29-2010 at 12:48 PM.
papa_smurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf73 View Post
I think it would be really neat to see how folks here inventory their gear. Does anyone use an application or other means of inventory?

I'm a software engineer for Macy’s INC. I typically develop desktop applications that are used for data mining. My most recent project made me think about inventory of my toys. I’m thinking of perhaps putting something together that allows me to have a picture of my toy, a description, how much a paid etc... It would basically be a data mining application with all the pertinent information about my toys I have collected over the years.

I’ve seen web applications that do this, but they are incredibly slow. I’m sure the one I tried was on an old computer in someone’s basement, collecting all my information and laughing at me as I try to retrieve it. *muhahahaha*

Aaaaanyhow, there it is. How do you inventory your toys.
I don't really inventory any of the toys I have, only the comics and I use a checklist for that... If someone (like you) made a really cool program I'd probably use it...

-ms
Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
tipet
Hench Mutant

MS Word.

With a simple table marking with one color the toys I have and with red the others. It's simple but effective.
tipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Sword Slicin' Leo
Stone Warrior

Are you serious? You really have that much time?LOL I hope you have a hell of a collection.
Sword Slicin' Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
tipet
Hench Mutant

It's easy, copy from the official site the toy names and paste....divided in years, I think is more difficult if you should make a program with every single figure....
tipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist

I haven't made a list although I do have a background information in a Word file for the more rare/historical items that I have.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
HalfcourtGame
Hench Mutant

I use an Excel spreadsheet myself. Easy to edit when you get new stuff and simple to make categories and what not.

I need Scratch!
MOC or loose complete
and Devil Shredder
MIB
HalfcourtGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
KittenBunny
Foot Soldier

Location: Tuna can. Shud be a luxurious Tiger Kitten Bunny Pad- straight outta a '66 Vouge Italia Living Issue
I have so much non-figure merchandise, like 'random' things, that this makes up the bulk of my collection. I could fill a small room with all boxes and crates i have, to inventory my stuff would be one mammoth scary task. I find my collection so overwhealming in my small house that I wish i never got anything at all except NM stuff since the line was so small!!!

Oh well cant do anything now except wait till I move out or sum up the energy to sell it all... by god its a scary thought though... I could open a 'ninja turtles shop' thats how much I have.... and its all just sitting in storage, and not all of it is packed correctly so its deffinately going to weather with age and decintigrate im sure
Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Hmm, this gives me an idea. If there's enough interest (and if someone can help compile a complete list of toys), maybe we could integrate a checklist/inventory list right here on the forums, kind of like the way our feedback system works.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
Hmm, this gives me an idea. If there's enough interest (and if someone can help compile a complete list of toys), maybe we could integrate a checklist/inventory list right here on the forums, kind of like the way our feedback system works.
That would be SOOOOOOOOO great. There's enough interest right here.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
KittenBunny
Foot Soldier

Location: Tuna can. Shud be a luxurious Tiger Kitten Bunny Pad- straight outta a '66 Vouge Italia Living Issue
Ogreat idea, I do want to see it happen soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That would be SOOOOOOOOO great. There's enough interest right here.
I second, or is it third, that idea, i think its great, especially when between us we'd have a heap of miscellaneous items that are not officially listed in any online inventory, making it much easier to see what was out, what you got and what you want to strive to get! Great idea, we'd have to section it off for traditional cartoon and 2K3 as well as all the other platforms in the TMNT universe... oh im tired but dont want to sleep, want to stay online aw eben if u used up all my MB's so it's as slow as a donkey

xxx kb
Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Quote:
That would be awesome! I do have some questions....

1.) Could we use the list that is on the TMNT museum's site? I really do not know how complete it is, but it seems to have quite a list of turtles. If we can use the list, I don't mind scripting it out and send it to who ever in an excel sheet, or what ever format you like. Maybe I could even post it here somehow. I started putting the TMNT museum's list in an excel sheet yesterday actually. I'm up to 1991 and still going. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it took a while to get there. haha.

2.) How will this checklist work? Will it allow a Technodrome user to maintain their own inventory? If so, see #3.

3.) How much information will be available in said inventory list?

My inventory list, so far, has:

Product Year
Product Type: (Basic Assortment, Wacky Action Figures Ect...)
Product Name: (Leonardo, Raphael, Dirt Bag... ect)
Carded: True or False
Carded Price
Loose: True or False
Loose Price
Complete: True or False
Picture (I suppose if you take pictures, you could add a link here maybe?)
Notes

I think it would be great to have something like this. It might even help others who are interested in turtles, but aren't certain of what is out there or even price points. Also, this would be great simply for insurance purposes. Silly as that might sound, insuring your stuff isn't a bad idea. Some people pay some serious bux for TMNT gear.

As always muh friends... TURTLE POWER!
-papa_smurf73

Last edited by papa_smurf73; 10-30-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
CudleyCowlick
Stone Warrior

I'm pretty sure that the occasional sharpie label on the outside of the box or a stack in a corner with a "general theme" doesn't count as inventorying, so I guess I don't.

It's like christmas when I start going through stuff.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
1.) Could we use the list that is on the TMNT museum's site? I really do not know how complete it is, but it seems to have quite a list of turtles. If we can use the list, I don't mind scripting it out and send it to who ever in an excel sheet, or what ever format you like. Maybe I could even post it here somehow. I started putting the TMNT museum's list in an excel sheet yesterday actually. I'm up to 1991 and still going. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it took a while to get there. haha.
Sure, something like that would be ideal, but we would need permission from the owner of that site first. If not, I hope we as a community can come up with one.

Quote:
2.) How will this checklist work? Will it allow a Technodrome user to maintain their own inventory? If so, see #3.
Yes, each member would be able to check off which items they own and enter any additional info if necessary. Maybe we could even have basic and advanced views where basic would just be a checklist, and advanced would be for people who want to keep track of quantities, condition, etc.

Quote:
3.) How much information will be available in said inventory list?
That's up to those of you who would be using this the most. Let me know which fields are important, and I can add the ones that are most requested.

Quote:
My inventory list, so far, has:

Product Year
Product Type: (Basic Assortment, Wacky Action Figures Ect...)
Product Name: (Leonardo, Raphael, Dirt Bag... ect)
Carded: True or False
Carded Price
Loose: True or False
Loose Price
Complete: True or False
Picture (I suppose if you take pictures, you could add a link here maybe?)
Notes
Those sound like a good set of fields to start with. For the first three, the script should be able to auto-fill those in using the list mentioned above (hopefully, depending on how much information is available to us). And speaking of the list, it would also be good to have a stock picture of each figure available to help people identify which is which when entering them in.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Sure, something like that would be ideal, but we would need permission from the owner of that site first. If not, I hope we as a community can come up with one.

Yes, each member would be able to check off which items they own and enter any additional info if necessary. Maybe we could even have basic and advanced views where basic would just be a checklist, and advanced would be for people who want to keep track of quantities, condition, etc.

That's up to those of you who would be using this the most. Let me know which fields are important, and I can add the ones that are most requested.

Those sound like a good set of fields to start with. For the first three, the script should be able to auto-fill those in using the list mentioned above (hopefully, depending on how much information is available to us). And speaking of the list, it would also be good to have a stock picture of each figure available to help people identify which is which when entering them in.

Rock! I like your ideas for a basic and advanced view.

I'll contact the owner of the TMNT Museum. He is actually a member here. If he is comfortable with us using his list, then I will work to compile everything he has listed, and respond here when it is complete.

In the mean time, does anyone else have suggestions for fields, aside from what we have already posted?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
KittenBunny
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Rock! I like your ideas for a basic and advanced view.

I'll contact the owner of the TMNT Museum. He is actually a member here. If he is comfortable with us using his list, then I will work to compile everything he has listed, and respond here when it is complete.

In the mean time, does anyone else have suggestions for fields, aside from what we have already posted?
Can you please have one field for the weapon color/variants that came with some lines of TMNT products, for example the next mutation figures had many different colored weapons released for each character, ie. Dragon Lord with black weapons, or orange weapons. and even more specific Mike with all black weapons, and purple weapons with red extension in tonfas....

Other descriptive fields can include also a country of origin for the card, as there were card variants like the spanish Tortugas, and additionally a field for special release cards like those that were in the UK, with the different arts.

I hope you get what I mean

xx kb
Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
CuRSh14
Thug

I don't know if you would be interested... but I made a Database using access with all of the vintage TMNT stuff based on the playmates website with links (which no longer work lol). I will post it if you all want. It is nice because I set up queries based on have or don't have, Have but not Moc, etc,etc... I have it on my desktop at home.
CuRSh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuRSh14 View Post
I don't know if you would be interested... but I made a Database using access with all of the vintage TMNT stuff based on the playmates website with links (which no longer work lol). I will post it if you all want. It is nice because I set up queries based on have or don't have, Have but not Moc, etc,etc... I have it on my desktop at home.
I'm so glad you posted this. I just got confirmation from the TMNT museum that we could use their data, but if you have a dataset of Vintage items, that would be a great start.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
HalfcourtGame
Hench Mutant

I am in full support of this. It's great to have a community with leadership and knowledge. The pricing set-up papasmurf suggested might also help put an end to ridiculously overpriced eBay auctions because there would be a precedent set somewhere. If I can be of help let me know!

I need Scratch!
MOC or loose complete
and Devil Shredder
MIB
HalfcourtGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

BTW, The TMNT Museum (tmnttoys.com) is run by TMNTMan; a member of this forum.

Last edited by Archon_Turtle; 11-23-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote