The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #201
voltron80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The film now has a 40% on Rotten Tomatoes.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teen..._turtles_2013/

Currently the 1990 film has a 45%
Oh when I looked it up it said it had a 44% But still people are comparing this movie to a movie critics back then didn't like either.
voltron80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #202
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Metacritic is a good "counterpoint" for sure. I find they generally tend to average scores a bit lower/more critical if they're highly-rated elsewhere, and a bit higher if they're especially low-rated elsewhere. Different system. The inclusion of a "mixed" rating instead of just "fresh" and "rotten" can skew things toward the middle. Still pretty reliable overall, though.

They gave a 3.5/10 review a "fresh" rating?

...what?
It was 3.5 out of 5 stars, so it could go either way, according to the site.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #203
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron80 View Post
Oh when I looked it up it said it had a 44% But still people are comparing this movie to a movie critics back then didn't like either.
That was predictable!
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #204
MajorViolence
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron80 View Post
Truthfully RT is really unrealiable for films that predate the website, since it's built to give numbers with data that requires a certain amount if participation from critics. Since critics weren't submitting their reviews to RottenTomatoes back in 1990, the score isn't extremely reliable.

Not that I'm necessarily saying the score would be extremely different if that wasn't the case, but I think it does make it pointless to compare tomatometer score of current releases with those of much older films.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #205
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
It was 3.5 out of 5 stars, so it could go either way, according to the site.
Ohhh, I see. The other score was out of 10, so that's why I assumed it was the same.

70% would quality as fresh, I think. So that kinda makes sense.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #206
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I'm usually one to tend to worry about Rotten Tomato scores just because I want a film that I have excitement for to do well critically. This probably could be to blame due to the fact that from early 2007 to mid 2008, I was caught in all the hype and obsession for The Dark Knight and it was a truly rewarding feeling when the film was getting all the critical praise it received.

Of course, things are a little different here with TMNT. Critics have really never been kind to any Ninja Turtle film besides maybe the first film. Hell, even the 2007 CGI movie that people around here surprisingly love has a 30 something percent. As I mentioned in a previous thread, this movie is super personal for me and if critics don't seem to enjoy it...I'm not going to get too bent out of shape as I might have before. As long as me as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan walks out of the theater satisfied, I'll be content. Sure, a 60 or above approval rating would be nice and I would to see this movie steal the number 1 spot from GOTG next week....but we'll have to see.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #207
Vicky82
Emperor

50% at the moment

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teen..._turtles_2013/

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #208
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Ok, Going up a bit, 3 Fresh, 3 Rotten. It surpass the 1st film's rating of 45%, But you never know, The Meter can go up and down during the day.

Just noticed that the 3rd Fresh review isn't showing up, I only see the 2 Fresh. It says a total of 6 reviews, But I only see 5.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 08-04-2014 at 11:29 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #209
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Ok, Going up a bit, 3 Fresh, 3 Rotten. It surpass the 1st film's rating of 45%, But you never know, The Meter can go up and down during the day.

Just noticed that the 3rd Fresh review isn't showing up, I only see the 2 Fresh. It says a total of 6 reviews, But I only see 5.
Eh, I think I'll just wait until at least 50 reviews are in before trying to dictate which way this movie is going to land. But honestly, I think it's going to be one of those critic proof movies. Now that GOTG over performed this weekend, I'm expecting the same with TMNT. 65 million OW.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #210
MajorViolence
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Eh, I think I'll just wait until at least 50 reviews are in before trying to dictate which way this movie is going to land. But honestly, I think it's going to be one of those critic proof movies. Now that GOTG over performed this weekend, I'm expecting the same with TMNT. 65 million OW.
I do think that this movie is pretty safe from critics. It could get a rating of 5% and I don't think it would really impact the BO performance. Though I really think GotG is going to be an insanely big hurdle to face, especially since GotG is actually a lot more kid-friendly than the marketing indicated. If there's any one thing that could take a cut out of TMNT's performance, it's that. I couldn't even try to make a prediction here. This could really go either way.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #211
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorViolence View Post
especially since GotG is actually a lot more kid-friendly than the marketing indicated.
while i havent seen it yet ive noticed at least merchandise wise they are really making rocket the cuddley stuffed animal route

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #212
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:

At the very least, the movie must be really fun. This opener for a "fresh" review:

"There's no angst in this new franchise, no elaborate metaphor and no ambition to speak of. And although you could argue that that is in and of itself a problem, at least it smoothes out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' many, many flaws. "

When your opening good review mentions "many, many flaws" I get nervous.

Trying not to read the actual reviews...worried about gleaming even more than I already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
while i havent seen it yet ive noticed at least merchandise wise they are really making rocket the cuddley stuffed animal route
My friend that went with me took his two youngest girls. Both said Rocket was their favorite character.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #213
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Just noticed the 3rd Fresh review finally showing up, And its the IGN review.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #214
Puddinpop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioLeo451 View Post
wow so this movie lacks both the charm and heart of the franchise because bay has his fingerprints all over it...I'm done
Exactly You can tell right away the one's that have already made up their minds just by the terminology that they use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydbanks7 View Post
It should. One of the most important parts of their job is spelling. If you can't take the time to proof read something you're publishing, and don't take the time to make sure you're spelling is correct, and your thoughts are coherent, then how can you be trusted? They don't even care about how they represent themselves. This is a common theme on the internet, get your blog post out there first don't worry about spelling or making sense.

Like I said I bet these people go into a movie with a nearly completed review, and just add a little more detail as soon as they run out to their car from the theater.

Someone said they're not paid to hate movies. Ok well they're there to critique them. I'm speaking for myself here, but most of the time I want to go in with a clean slate and decide for myself, and I must say I enjoy a lot more movies now that I don't take other opinions in with me. The TMNT movie is going to be interesting, because I've gone against my normal way of movie viewing and basically read what happens in the whole movie.
Yep... Its quite obvious to. That's the problem when you allow just any shmuck to use your website (comicbookmovie/screenrant/movieplot,etc) to post his/her opinions. This is how ignorance spreads.. like a virus online. It also lessens the integrity of the website. And I guess it's asking to much for people writing a " professional review " to read over what they wrote before pressing the send button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
These critics are no different than any of us, save for the fact they get paid to post their opinions.

Critics, like us, are divided about this film...I've reading glowing reviews about the charm, the action, and humor...and others who hated it for the very same reason.

What some call a straightforward, uncomplicated storyline, others refer to as shallow...it's all relative.
Nicely put. Imo.. this film sounds like it accomplishes everything that a TMNT film should be. And when I read words like " Swiss army knife" I just stop reading at that point.

Quote:
the ratings get really interesting when a Score sometimes end up at 59%

I know I'll enjoy this thing.. that's all that matters. Not going to allow others to think for me by adopting their opinions bc I am too weak minded to think for myself.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #215
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
My friend that went with me took his two youngest girls. Both said Rocket was their favorite character.
I have a feeling Rocket is gonna be a big fan-favourite for a while. He was very well-realized in that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
You can tell right away the one's that have already made up their minds just by the terminology that they use.

I know I'll enjoy this thing.. that's all that matters.
Just quoting the above to point out that the "leery" side clearly aren't the only ones who've already made up their minds. It goes both ways. Which is fine - let's just not act like one side is "right" while the other's "wrong" for the exact same behaviour.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #216
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Just noticed the 3rd Fresh review finally showing up, And its the IGN review.
They gave it a 6.0 "Okay"

Figure it's gong to land in the 40-60% range with critics, which would still be on par or better than previous TMNT films.

Crave Online's review is really negative (actually reading it, the reviewer did not sound like they liked it at all), but it still got a 5.5 and marks as fresh.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #217
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the ratings for all films so that we can do comparisons.

TMNT 1990 = 45%
TMNT 2 1991 = 36%
TMNT 3 1993 = 27%
TMNT 2007 = 34%
TMNT 2014 = 50%
<- as it stands now.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #218
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

I don't know why but even though I knew this would happen, I feel bad seeing TMNT at 40% or the generally unfavourable critic reviews!

Especially for this new film cause it was a chance to gain a new audience.

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #219
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
They gave it a 6.0 "Okay"

Figure it's gong to land in the 40-60% range with critics, which would still be on par or better than previous TMNT films.

Crave Online's review is really negative (actually reading it, the reviewer did not sound like they liked it at all), but it still got a 5.5 and marks as fresh.
Eh, are these even top critics? Most of the NY publications have a really snotty attitude about CBM in general, and I'm curious about Travers and Scott.

But in the end, I still prefer JeremyJahns and Black Angry Nerd more, they tend to "get" movies that I "get".

And I'm glad this movie isn't suffering from the metaphor overload that so many movies of late have been doing.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #220
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

So yea, sounds like it's your average superhero blockbuster brought to life by the turtles' personalities.

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews