The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Predator writers are suing Disney to get the rights back

The writers for the original Predator movie are suing Disney to get the rights back to the franchise.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...capture-rights
Old 04-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Well if the contract states they get get the rights back after 35 years, then shouldn't Disney honor that? I mean, they've made like 5 sequels counting the AVP movies and they're all pretty much crap, right? Even if they weren't, most of them didn't really make that much money. Why would Disney care about keeping the series?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Because they're already making Predator 5. They have been for months now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well if the contract states they get get the rights back after 35 years, then shouldn't Disney honor that? I mean, they've made like 5 sequels counting the AVP movies and they're all pretty much crap, right? Even if they weren't, most of them didn't really make that much money. Why would Disney care about keeping the series?
Cause of pettiness?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I read about this yesterday. I know little to nothing how copyright works but it seems they just don’t want Disney to have it. Why make a big deal now?

I know most will automatically root against Disney but I really wanna know if they would have done this if Fox wasn’t bought.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I read about this yesterday. I know little to nothing how copyright works but it seems they just don’t want Disney to have it. Why make a big deal now?
Obvious answer: they know they won't win but are banking on Disney not wanting to drag things out, so will settle out of court for a lump sum and that'll be that.

Quote:
I know most will automatically root against Disney but I really wanna know if they would have done this if Fox wasn’t bought.
Presumably. The expiration date was always going to be this week, regardless of who owns the IP at the moment.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I'm no expert on film and copyright law but I'm pretty sure if a film is actively in development, it doesn't matter when they get the rights back. Franchises have to be on the shelf for an amount of time before they revert back to whoever.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote