The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #341
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
You guys also want a better Casey, also weird and SAD!
My hopes for this movie:

- Turtles who are not just archetypes but real characters; characters who have layers (like real people) and arcs that have payoff. Mikey for example -- should be more than just "The funny one". I want to see a Mikey who uses humor as a facade/coping mechanism to dangerous situations and the grim prospects of life as a mutant living under a sewer.

- A relatively serious tone. It's time for the TMNT to stop being treated like a kiddie property that can only appeal to the lowest common denominator in 7 year olds. We need a movie that explores mature themes like family/brotherhood, isolation, loneliness and growing up. There is sooo much more to the TMNT than just fart jokes and Pepperoni pizza and "Cowabunga, dude!!!!" When will modern Hollywood execs realize this? The tone should be a cross between "The Winter Soldier" and "Bumblebee". Moody and serious atmosphere but with fun. Basically IDW TMNT

- Turtles that look like teenagers and not 12 ft Hulks with shells:

I'd like to see them do a Spider-Man: Homecoming approach to the way the Turtles are presented. In the first movie, they are smaller - being young teenagers but they grow up throughout the trilogy. We see their physical growth as well as growth as a team and as heroes.

- Martial Arts like "The Raid". This is what was promised to us by the PD producers in the early stages of development for the Bay film. I'd like to see them follow through with it.

Last edited by Leolead; 01-17-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #342
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Totally agree with you.

I mean, I don't mind some older looking/seeming Turtles, I'd love to see a little more of that done (or at least gotten back to the maturity pre-Nick shows), but if you're going to make them look 25 or 30, yeah... then drop the "teenage" part from the title. Otherwise, don't make them look quite so grown. Because I'm sorry, PD, but no way are those guys actually teens! (And if they were then they probably aren't even fully grown?? Yikes.)

The concept art certainly had one or two deigns that were clearly the basis of what we got (one of which is still my desktop wallpaper) and would have been perfect as is...and then I guess they decided bigger is better. (Not that I didn't come to love Leo anyhow, but 6'5" and that bulky is still a bit much...)

Can someone tell or link to me what "the raid" mentions are in reference to? I do remember that being something brought up back when they were making it, but not quite sure what it meant.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #343
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I never understand the people that want so badly for the TMNT to behave like normal human teenagers. They're not that. They wouldn't. Stop wanting that.

The people obsessing about that are like one step removed from the sickos who seemingly get off on pint-sized Turtles or "Turtle Tots," ala "Half Shelled Heroes" or whatever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #344
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Totally agree with you.

I mean, I don't mind some older looking/seeming Turtles, I'd love to see a little more of that done (or at least gotten back to the maturity pre-Nick shows), but if you're going to make them look 25 or 30, yeah... then drop the "teenage" part from the title. Otherwise, don't make them look quite so grown. Because I'm sorry, PD, but no way are those guys actually teens! (And if they were then they probably aren't even fully grown?? Yikes.)

The concept art certainly had one or two deigns that were clearly the basis of what we got (one of which is still my desktop wallpaper) and would have been perfect as is...and then I guess they decided bigger is better. (Not that I didn't come to love Leo anyhow, but 6'5" and that bulky is still a bit much...)

Can someone tell or link to me what "the raid" mentions are in reference to? I do remember that being something brought up back when they were making it, but not quite sure what it meant.
No prob
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...es-reboot/amp/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I never understand the people that want so badly for the TMNT to behave like normal human teenagers. They're not that. They wouldn't. Stop wanting that.

The people obsessing about that are like one step removed from the sickos who seemingly get off on pint-sized Turtles or "Turtle Tots," ala "Half Shelled Heroes" or whatever.
I'm not sure if you're referring to me or...? But teens behave all kinds of ways (take it from me, actually being one) And the Turtles are already widely portrayed as teenage caricatures anyway. That's kinda the entire point of them being called "Teenage" Mutant Ninja Turtles. Although in Mirage, they acted liked grizzled adults so I'll give you that.

I actually think it would be really cool if they got real teenagers to play the Turtles. Sort of like what Marvel did with Spider-Man. Get people in late teens-early 20s to do the mocap. You can't get much more authentic than having the real thing.

A coming of age story in vein of 'Perks of Being a Wallflower" about acceptance would fit the TMNT nicely.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #345
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I just kinda figured people like the chance to see them as little kids at least just once in an iteration because it's adorable...? Much like seeing someone's childhood family pics? (Is that weird too for some reason?)

To jump to conclusions that people get off on it... Ew. I mean maybe there are a few weirdos like that out there, but can't say I've ever noticed any vibes like that from anyone.

I mean, personally I wish to see them lean a bit older now a little more frequently (and Nick really making me miss the way they were in 2003 and whatnot), but I don't assume anyone who prefers Nick's younger takes on them as being for any weird reason. And some younger fans might just wish for them to be more relatable? (edit: While at the same time, being older now I guess is probably also part of why I'd also love to see them depicted a little older now and then too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
Thank you
Old 01-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #346
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
No prob
https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...es-reboot/amp/

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or...? But teens behave all kinds of ways (take it from me, actually being one) And the Turtles are already widely portrayed as teenage caricatures anyway. That's kinda the entire point of them being called "Teenage" Mutant Ninja Turtles. Although in Mirage, they acted liked grizzled adults so I'll give you that.
They don’t act like grizzled adults though. They were raised in a sewer trained to kill a man for revenge. Of course they’re gonna be a little edgy. If people like you read past the first issue you’d know that the whole series isn’t grim gritty death and violence.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #347
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
They don’t act like grizzled adults though. They were raised in a sewer trained to kill a man for revenge. Of course they’re gonna be a little edgy. If people like you read past the first issue you’d know that the whole series isn’t grim gritty death and violence.
It's not, but that's basically who they are. At that point. The rest of the series is them little by little learning about the world.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #348
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

2k3 struck my preferred balance of adolescent maturity. Well, 3/4 anyways. Lookin' at you, Mikey.

Too much grit and you risk turning into another DCEU. Not saying it can't be done - just saying long term I think i'd burn out on that much dreary angst.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #349
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Well that's what they originally wanted to do with the 2014 film just call it "Ninja Turtles" but fans threw a fit so they tacked "Teenage Mutant" onto the name.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #350
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
What do you mean "people like me"? I've obviously read past the first issue. I've read all the way up to the "Return to New York" arc and then I jumped back into to read the full "City at War" arc. So yes, I very well know that the series starts incorporating things like alien dinosaurs and time travelers. I'm not a Mirage noob by any means.

But the Turtles are indeed much more serious in the Laird/Eastman run. Mikey is nowhere near the goof he became in later incarnations. I'd like the TMNT to start off a bit more naive and optimistic and end closer to the way they were in the first 5 issues of Mirage.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #351
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Well that's what they originally wanted to do with the 2014 film just call it "Ninja Turtles" but fans threw a fit so they tacked "Teenage Mutant" onto the name.
Yeah, that's always been a little confusing though. I wish the title had remained that way, and is kind of supported by the two toy sets of Leo and Raph with the three toys/figures labeled turtle, teen, and Ninja Turtle... However... in the film Mikey does refer to them as teenagers, in the scene where they meet April, so it certainly would have been an important scene to write into the film from the start, not just throw in to appease people, so the question is was that line (together with those of his brothers') already written or was it thrown in post fan outcry over the title?

Either way I can't even begin to see those Turtles as a bunch of kids and just ignore the claims of being teens. lol
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #352
AquaParade
Banned

Even in Mirage, the turtles act like teenagers, at times. Of course they aren't "normal" teenagers, but what does it mean to be a teen other than sometimes acting a little goofy, losing your temper, or being a bit impressionable?
The turtles definitely display aspects of their youth in all renditions of TMNT.

It's a tale of a revenge, but it's also a coming-of-age story.

And yeah, it's in the frickin name.

I love me some adult turtles, such as we see in City at War, but if anyone is planning to make a trilogy of movies or any other long -form story, then yeah, it would be a good idea to start them off with some immaturity, which gives them room for growth.

It's also great to see the turtles being impressionable in regards to the world above ground. I always loved the aspect of the turtles seeing **** on television or hearing lingo through the stormgrates, that they are keen to pick up on. It highlights their isolation and desire to fit into a world they can never be a part of.

I don't think them being teenagers has to equal fart jokes and pepperoni pizza.
It can mean brash attitude and creepy grins while cracking skulls.

The paradox of them being loveable & fun,
yet dangerous as hell is one of the best aspects of TMNT in my mind.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #353
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I've never read that Flash story. But you can imagine the Mirage stories I'd point you to.
Perhaps. I'm guessing "City At War", but... For whatever reason, while that's probably "the best" TMNT story ever written, I still can't love it as much as I'm "supposed" to, same with the bit of IDW I've read. Although CaW definitely aims higher than anything ever has since, or ever will again.

I was spoiled by Watchmen fairly early, I guess. After that, absolutely everything feels like it's half-baked in comparison. Not fair to compare, I know, but still.

I know you are more of a Green Lantern guy than a Flash guy. But I always appreciate your insights regardless of whether we're on the same page or not.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #354
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Even in Mirage, the turtles act like teenagers, at times. Of course they aren't "normal" teenagers, but what does it mean to be a teen other than sometimes acting a little goofy, losing your temper, or being a bit impressionable?
The turtles definitely display aspects of their youth in all renditions of TMNT.

It's a tale of a revenge, but it's also a coming-of-age story.

And yeah, it's in the frickin name.

I love me some adult turtles, such as we see in City at War, but if anyone is planning to make a trilogy of movies or any other long -form story, then yeah, it would be a good idea to start them off with some immaturity, which gives them room for growth.

It's also great to see the turtles being impressionable in regards to the world above ground. I always loved the aspect of the turtles seeing **** on television or hearing lingo through the stormgrates, that they are keen to pick up on. It highlights their isolation and desire to fit into a world they can never be a part of.

I don't think them being teenagers has to equal fart jokes and pepperoni pizza.
It can mean brash attitude and creepy grins while cracking skulls.

The paradox of them being loveable & fun,
yet dangerous as hell is one of the best aspects of TMNT in my mind.
Oh it's way too late for a mirage adaption since it will be a pg-13 movie.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #355
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Mirage really is closer to pg-13 than anything else, in my mind. I wouldn't argue with someone who claimed otherwise.

That has little to do with my post though, so hopefully I got my ideas across clearly.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #356
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Mirage really is closer to pg-13 than anything else, in my mind. I wouldn't argue with someone who claimed otherwise.

That has little to do with my post though, so hopefully I got my ideas across clearly.
Fair enough but do you ever get the feeling that Mirage tmnt volume 4 will never get a conclusion?
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #357
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Quote:

There's 0 reason to believe a Mirage-based TMNT movie needs to be R-rated. A PG-13 TMNT movie could even have blood, as long as it's like... Triceraton blood. And apparently beheadings are OK in PG-13 as long as the beheadee is wearing a mask or a helmet so that you can't see their face.

TMNT 1-4 were all PG, and the two PD movies hardly tested the boundaries of their PG-13 ratings.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #358
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
What? Megan Fox was the oldest April in film. She just turned 32. Paige Turco was 26 when she did TMNT II. Judith Hoag was 22 when she did TMNT (1990)!
Sorry, I was making reference to the recent cartoons using a teenaged April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
People who harp on Megan Fox in the Platinum Dunes movies really need to take a break.
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I wrote a lot of things I want to see, and ONE small line about Megan Fox. I'm not harping, you are. She was terrible, and if they want these movies to achieve any sort of success, the living breathing human characters need to be excellent actors. I don't want "ok" actors. I want real actors. I want this movie to be treated the same as Batman Begins was.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #359
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purse Grabbin Puke View Post
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I wrote a lot of things I want to see, and ONE small line about Megan Fox. I'm not harping, you are. She was terrible, and if they want these movies to achieve any sort of success, the living breathing human characters need to be excellent actors. I don't want "ok" actors. I want real actors. I want this movie to be treated the same as Batman Begins was.
Nah man, that wasn't specific to you. You might have jarred loose the thoughts in my head, but no, my thoughts are more general to the people who DO harp on Megan Fox so much but seem to have zero problems with the Hulkturtles, magic blood, stupid rich, yadda yadda yadda.

We both want the same thing. And we'll both die disappointed decades from now, no doubt.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #360
Allio
Foot Elite

I know it would be impossible but with other franchises making sequels instead of reboots (like Ghostbusters) what if instead of a reboot they just make a TMNT 4 (or 5 if you want to iclude the imagi films) and it could be Shredder's resurrection and we get the City at War movie.

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence