The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #221
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
one thing i've taken from this series is a character's repeated death really cheapens the impact of it all.
Try reading DC comics sometime, dude...

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #222
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Try reading DC comics sometime, dude...
i've read plenty of DC.

lots of Marvel too.

they're both full of bunky!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #223
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Haven’t they killed out Superman a few times in the DC comics? I remember they did that time back in the mid-90s and people got all crazy over it, iirc.
Quote:
one thing i've taken from this series is a character's repeated death really cheapens the impact of it all.

sometimes this show feels like a parody of itself.
I still don’t see how it cheapens the death. It only happened once…the end of season 3 and directly after it, they were setting it up so that they could prevent his death, which they did thanks to Leo’s reacting right before Shredder could stab him. There haven’t been any other times setting him up as being dead or whatever.

Season 2’s ending didn’t count because we saw him get saved by Karai. April and the others didn’t know that, but we, the audience, did. For that, it was more like, “What’s going on with Splinter? How is he doing? I hope he’s okay.” Mikey pretty much echoed as much when he calmed down Raph, reassuring him that Splinter would be okay because of his being a ninja master and in the early eps, Mikey was still optimistic over Splinter, whereas Raph wasn’t.

The season 4 Rat King ep didn’t count since it was adapting a portion of Mirage and as far as I remember, Splinter survived, although he did have to resort to cannibalizing rats which the show didn’t let him do. I’m glad they didn’t keep that in. That would’ve freaked me out, but they probably did that because they used the human > rat origin as opposed to rat > mutated rat origin. Rats cannibalize other rats. It’s creepy. ><

So yeah, don’t see how it cheapens the death when it’s only happened once as far as Splinter goes.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #224
myconius
Abby Normal

it's cheap because they've been taunting Splinter's death for pretty much the entire series.

as if it's been pointing to 'Spinter's gonna die'

they did the same thing at the end of Season one teasing that Leo was gonna die.

it's just cheap audience manipulation.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #225
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
it's cheap because they've been taunting Splinter's death for pretty much the entire series.

they did the same thing at the end of Season one teasing that Leo was gonna die.

Whats worse is that it could've been avoided if Splinter checked to see if Shredder was still alive.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #226
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

We all know Leo wasn't gonna die. Even if you never read the comics, the 90s movie and 2K3 series say hi.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #227
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Haven’t they killed out Superman a few times in the DC comics? I remember they did that time back in the mid-90s and people got all crazy over it, iirc.
To be fair, back then that's the first time a major superhero died, it actually hit the papers and morning news, and it was advertised as him being dead FOR GOOD. This was before superheroes were dying left and right and coming back to life the next week. Jason Todd and Bucky Barnes were still dead at this point and we thought they'd never come back, and this was before the Gwen Stacy clones and fake Aunt May deaths and other such nonsense.

I remember back then non-comic book readers found out that there were things out there like Doomsday that were powerful enough to makeSuperman bleed.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #228
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Whats worse is that it could've been avoided if Splinter checked to see if Shredder was still alive.
absolutely!!! i mean how careless can you get???

talk about lazy writing!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #229
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
absolutely!!! i mean how careless can you get???

talk about lazy writing!
Honestly so far the one thing I'm taking away from this series is that Spinter never checks for a body and never checks his damn 6
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #230
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Honestly so far the one thing I'm taking away from this series is that Spinter never checks for a body and never checks his damn 6
"never checks his 6" . . . . i LIKE that!!!

it's so true though!! don't rodents have a heightened sense of hearing?
you'd think even if Splinter wasn't sensible enough to make sure his treacherous blood-thirty arch nemesis wasn't sneaking up behind him, that maybe his acute rat-hearing might have tipped him off?

UNLESS . . . this Nick version of Shredder has a very soft step?

which would be yet another thing we take from this new series.

OH! also folks have the foresight of when they are about to die, and will drop hints to all those close to them about their eminent death.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #231
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Everything
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #232
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:

OH! also folks have the foresight of when they are about to die, and will drop hints to all those close to them about their eminent death.
But Splinter did drop hints to the Turtle's that he would die soon. There have been points where he would tell the Turtles that he would not be around forever and they need to let go of being children since Mutant Gangland. And even in this episode he does say to Leonardo "When I pass on, you will be the new head of the family."

Not that Splinter wanted to die, but he knew in the upcoming fight one of them would not survive the battle. But in this last fight it had to come down to him and the Shredder in order to bring their chapter to a close.

That is also why he Split up is family the way he did because he knew the Shredder would kill them as a means to hurt him so he limited himself to the literal "strongest" fighters of his family while his most "Skilled" Son's were not targets for the Shredder.

Last edited by victory_angel; 02-23-2017 at 09:22 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #233
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Bruce Wayne's parents always die....

I definitely agree with the cheapening, but yeah, I wouldn't want Splinter actually die. That would suck. Pseudo cyber space death in BTTS .. .BUT STILL CAME BACK.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #234
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It's funny becausr its true, but at the same time i can't see karai getting a job and paying rent.
A good question is what does Karai do for a living? I mean she doesn't have Shredder's resources anymore so how can she afford to stay in his hideout or pay her ninja mercenaries?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #235
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
But Splinter did drop hints to the Turtle's that he would die soon. There have been points where he would tell the Turtles that he would not be around forever and they need to let go of being children since Mutant Gangland. And even in this episode he does say to Leonardo "When I pass on, you will be the new head of the family."

Not that Splinter wanted to die, but he knew in the upcoming fight one of them would not survive the battle. But in this last fight it had to come down to him and the Shredder in order to bring their chapter to a close.

That is also why he Split up is family the way he did because he knew the Shredder would kill them as a means to hurt him so he limited himself to the literal "strongest" fighters of his family while his most "Skilled" Son's were not targets for the Shredder.

i'm sure many people enjoyed the episode. and that's great.

but it just felt too forced to me.

i still enjoy the series for what it is, but i really don't love it like i used to.

and that very disappointing to me, cuz i really did LOVE the heck out of this series at one time.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #236
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
A good question is what does Karai do for a living? I mean she doesn't have Shredder's resources anymore so how can she afford to stay in his hideout or pay her ninja mercenaries?
Since she hangs with the Mutanimals apparentl, maybe she does odd jobs for Kurtzman.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #237
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:

UNLESS . . . this Nick version of Shredder has a very soft step?
Well, he is still a ninja after all. Stealthy silent attacks are kinda their thing.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #238
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Well, he is still a ninja after all. Stealthy silent attacks are kinda their thing.
his are softer than most, i'm sure.

this guy just screams "stealthy"

or maybe more - 'silent but deadly'?

Last edited by myconius; 02-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.
myconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:53 AM   #239
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

If Splinter had just been killed once and then it's all over, there would probably be complainings over the series becoming too violent. So instead, maybe that's why Nickelodeon drags out Splinter's death as much as possible by killing him, and resoring him. Now he's killed again, but Nickelodeon may think less people care then.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #240
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

You know, The only thing I'm taking away from this thread is that why are we looking at this show in retrospect when we have a FULL SEASON left?
Cyndaquilfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote