The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Because fiction?
Because Fox owns the rights to the X-Men?

I like the book. It's light, fluffy, and entertaining. I find I'm the most entertained by Marvel books when they fall into one of two groups:

Slice of Life (Ms Marvel, Fraction's Run on Hawkeye)
or
Gratuitous Violence (Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny X-Force: Sex and Violence.)

It sounds to me like you have a different relationship with the comics.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #22
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I'm big on continuity, and I HATE nonsensical retcons, as well as changing/adding characters "because reasons". I read the first volume, and found so many ridiculous details that not only made no sense in-universe, but were literal contradictions of the entire Inhumans concept/history. Not to mention the stereotypes I discussed earlier. It just struck me as very lazy/uninspired writing, using an origin of powers that clearly was not researched AT ALL. Even a brief glance through the entries for various Inhumans in the Marvel Encyclopedia or even the Marvel website's Marvel Universe entries would have shown how utterly impossible it would be to suddenly have dozens (or even hundreds- Kamala apparently wasn't the only one) of Inhumans "mature" to power on Earth when they have previously made a point of avoiding contact. In other words, it flew against the entire history of their race as a means of introducing new characters. Because diversity, apparently. It came off as cheap, pandering, and lame.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #23
plastroncafe

And yet entirely in line with the new MCU continuity.
I dunno, if I want continuity I don't go looking towards either of the Big Two.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Well, not since 2007/8, no. Main reason I have not regularly read any Marvel books since then. That was about the time they started really turning to shite just for diversity and events. Not their best decision, IMHO. Then again, I'm still P-O'ed at Joephisto for killing the Spider-marriage. THAT was the beginning of the end, I think.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:37 AM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Well, not since 2007/8, no. Main reason I have not regularly read any Marvel books since then. That was about the time they started really turning to shite just for diversity and events. Not their best decision, IMHO. Then again, I'm still P-O'ed at Joephisto for killing the Spider-marriage. THAT was the beginning of the end, I think.
Losing the reality where the marriage mattered is largely why I can't accept or enjoy much of anything Marvel does anymore...because what's the point? If all of reality can be changed and 20 years worth of continuity for one character can be changed, how are we able to trust anything that's going on in the current reality? How do we know everything going on is entirely up to the will of the characters? What if it's all been corrupted by devil magic?

At least with DC, they're actually explaining the s*it with the N52 by saying "yeah, it was Doctor Manhattan being a d*ck", Marvel will never have anyone realize what's going on right now is down to some dopey bargain Peter made with Mephisto

What makes it weird about Quesada is he's perfectly fine with letting the Spider-Marriage be everywhere else except the mainline universe..they kept it alive in the newspaper strip and brought it back in 2015 with the Renew Your Vows title (though that could be cancelled soon)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #26
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
No, Carol is getting a movie as CAPTAIN Marvel, another persona she has used. But I see this as just going to confuse people who don't know the characters.

Also, it's not her religion as such, but how cliched it's portrayed. Just really obvious that they were trying to push that angle as her main defining trait, but as something she secretly rebels against, with a very strict traditional Muslim family, and all the ridiculous individual stereotype Muslim character types that implies. Stern and strict father concerned with family image/honor, subserviant mother, etc....

Nightcrawler and Shadowcat (who is Jewish, btw) are both religious, but it is not the main/sole focus of their personalities. With Kamala, it basically IS. Fangirling over the Avengers aside....
Thank you. It's refreshing to see other people getting it.
There was a character that is muslim in the comics a few years before Kamala, she was cool in her own right and wasn't defined by just being a muslim.

Kamala is a one-note. She's boring as the day is long.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post
There was a character that is muslim in the comics a few years before Kamala, she was cool in her own right and wasn't defined by just being a muslim.

Like I said, Nightcrawler in Xmen 2 was one note, religion this, scripture that, god, sins, faith, etc. Noone complained then and everybody loved him. His religion was pretty much the only character he had.

It all depends on how the movie handles her. If they can get me to care about iron Man, Ant Man and the guardians of the galaxy, I'm pretty sure they can get me to like Kamala.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

If Pietro and Crystal can have a kid, then humans can have Inhuman ancestors. Except for Lockjaw, Kamala is the best thing coming out of Inhumans which is a pretty "meh" group of characters.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #29
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartAllen View Post

This isn't a matter of my not getting it. I get it. I just don't agree with it.

I don't find Kamala to be defined by her religion or her culture, though both of those things do influence her. I see her stories as more coming of age, and an exploration of the immigrant experience.

The push and pull between where you came from and where you're going.
And how one fits in with regards to the diaspora vs the dominant culture.
I enjoy media with these themes. Movies like "The Big Sick" and tv shows like "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Blackish."

They're not for everyone.

Also, as a pretty staunch atheist/recovering Catholic, I find it refreshing to see people of faith represented as something other than wing-nuts.
Regardless of their denomination.
Nightcrawler is a VERY devout character, but...when written poorly that faith is either ignored or becomes the only aspect of him that we see.
If Kitty Pryde wasn't routinely drawn wearing a Star of David, would people know she was Jewish?
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by plastroncafe; 05-18-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This isn't a matter of my not getting it. I get it. I just don't agree with it.

I don't find Kamala to be defined by her religion or her culture, though both of those things do influence her. I see her stories as more coming of age, and an exploration of the immigrant experience.

The push and pull between where you came from and where you're going.
And how one fits in with regards to the diaspora vs the dominant culture.
I enjoy media with these themes. Movies like "The Big Sick" and tv shows like "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Blackish."

They're not for everyone.

Also, as a pretty staunch atheist/recovering Catholic, I find it refreshing to see people of faith represented as something other than wing-nuts.
Regardless of their denomination.
Nightcrawler is a VERY devout character, but...when written poorly that faith is either ignored or becomes the only aspect of him that we see.
If Kitty Pryde wasn't routinely drawn wearing a Star of David, would people know she was Jewish?
I just remember that during her initial appearance it was almost always touted that she was a muslim. No one got that treatment when they were first released. This felt like a pandering stunt of tokenism.

Mind you, I have no problem with Muslim characters, I want a diverse and eclectic cast of characters. I just think Kamala (at least initially) was defined by the fact that she's a MUSLIM character. I will say that she's grown a bit since her early appearances, and she has become somewhat more tolerable, but just barely.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #31
plastroncafe

News outlets like being around firsts when they happen, and it's my understanding that she was the first Muslim character at Marvel to have her own self titled book.

That's probably not a big thing for everyone, but it's a big thing for some.

In no way am I saying that this is a book for everyone, or that it should be universally adored. Just because it's not someone's cup of tea that doesn't mean it's a bad book.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #32
BartAllen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
News outlets like being around firsts when they happen, and it's my understanding that she was the first Muslim character at Marvel to have her own self titled book.

That's probably not a big thing for everyone, but it's a big thing for some.

In no way am I saying that this is a book for everyone, or that it should be universally adored. Just because it's not someone's cup of tea that doesn't mean it's a bad book.
That's fair. I'm absolutely willing to admit that my dislike of the character and the book is subjective. It is. I'm not, nor have I ever been a fan of her. Maybe with a writer I like she'd grow on me, but she hasn't yet.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #33
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Same here. I simply didn't like what was there, and have not seen any reason to read further. Considering that her creator/writer seemed mainly to be pushing those aspects of the cast (not just Kamala herself, but even the supporting characters like her friends all seemed built around specific stereotypes) it just really felt forced and pandering.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Kamala has been cast, and it's an unknown, Iman Vellani

https://deadline.com/2020/09/iman-ve...us-1234587969/
Can't say I care, but I hope it does well for the newcomer. All the best.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:41 AM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Meantime, Marvel have cancelled Kamala's comic again.

https://www.gamesradar.com/magnifice...ls-2021-plans/
There's always next time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:20 AM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Meantime, Marvel have cancelled Kamala's comic again.

https://www.gamesradar.com/magnifice...ls-2021-plans/
To be fair though, the book has only really been cancelled once before, the last time was just a renumbering. 56 consecutive issues isn't really bad, even if the last 18 had a different numbering.

Though I don't quite get why they don't put the character on the shelf for a while if they canned her book.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #39
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Though I don't quite get why they don't put the character on the shelf for a while if they canned her book.
But diversity!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #40
ZariusTwo
Overlord

First pics from the set

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1329534983623614466

Her Danvers fanboyism is showing, just like her comic counterpart.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote