The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #101
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i think this bit represents the best way this thread has gone.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #102
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well clearly the best ship is Bebop/Rocksteady.
I think I've read this comic somewhere before... didn't they go shopping butt naked or something? And the turtles looking at them weird but they themselves are naked this wholetime ...

Anyone know what the book title is? Nevermind, found it

edit: I was right! XD

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 07-21-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #103
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That whole subplot was wild, but the best of it was the turtles "Oh please god no" (Though didn't Rocksteady talk about his "best girl" rhino?).
"Yeah, we got bored of plants on Animal Paradise Planet, so we're stopping in for some snacks"

Blugeon and Koya are absolutely siblings.

As for the OTP. Me. For the past three years.

He drops face-first out of stasis and the first thing he does is demand to see his boss? Instead of his last remaining family? The same family who was concerned about how he'd respond to his boss's imprisonment? And if I'm going way over my head (and gahh, I probably am), is he okay? Did any therapists make it to Burnow Island? What was so important that he had to see Krang right away instead of his own sister?
I don't care how crazy loyal you are! Who does that?
(Honestly, he was TAME when he confronted Ma'riell about everything, but he had bigger things to worry about at the time)

The ship I'm going down with as this whole train derails right off a cliff and inevitably burns in the incinerator where it belongs...but for once, I may as well ride the train for a moment.

(Also, wouldn't that just be a cousin's cousin's former roommate? I've been questioning that for a while)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 07-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #104
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

I take the cowards way out and ship the pair that the comic ships. Alopex and Raph all the way.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #105
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

I barely got a minute into the video...saw no reason to continue. The guy is a moron. And reading through the posts ... holy s**t...the internet really is full of a**holes, isn't it!!??
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #106
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
I barely got a minute into the video...saw no reason to continue. The guy is a moron. And reading through the posts ... holy s**t...the internet really is full of a**holes, isn't it!!??
Certainly full of people who will blindly believe 1 person's opinion instead of reading the comic to form their own opinion.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #107
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Additionally I'd like to see this thread be locked and disposed of;
Where's Cybercubed when we need him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
That kind of video has a valid purpose and there will always be exceptions (and the Quartering is by no means the worst of the "reporter"-type youtubers), but the general negative click-bait videos focusing on various fandoms (TMNT, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) are nothing a cheap and easy way of getting ad revenue from the ignorant vocal minorities associated with them.
Yeah I mean even I get exasperated and tired with all these negative YouTubers but then I see the other side who tell people they can't object to something. The best way to see sites like The Quartering is like a newspaper, except in visual form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Most things come from fan fiction, I donno if you throw in devantart with negative intention but it doesn't change that most ideas and characters at one point was "fan fiction"
Could TMNT be considered fan fiction since it began life as a parody by Eastman and Laird who were trying to come up with the most craziest ideas for a comic?

Quote:
Well clearly the best ship is Bebop/Rocksteady.
Oh you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I think I've read this comic somewhere before... didn't they go shopping butt naked or something? And the turtles looking at them weird but they themselves are naked this wholetime ...
Th-they did a sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
IMO legit criticism isn't offensive and shouldn't be silenced if someone doesn't like it.
This is where it becomes a difficult matter, it depends on the subjectivity and objectivity of those in charge on a discussion page.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #108
corvus
Stone Warrior

Sophie Campbell was the target of this kind of thing awhile back cause of her work on tmnt and Jem and holograms (and before anyone asks I absolutely refuse to post a link to this filth). The jerk writing this article seemed to think idw tmnt was aimed at children which should tell you enough.
I've seen incel types like this claiming x-men had been "turned into sjw propaganda" cause Ice-man came out out as gay...like yeah, the x-men are literally social justice warriors, thats the premise of the comic and has been since Claremont was writing.
With a few Notable exceptions (Ditko and Miller) Comics have been a progressive medium for a long time, the golden age happened because of anti-nazi propaganda.

People like this are not worth acknowledging.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #109
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Could TMNT be considered fan fiction since it began life as a parody by Eastman and Laird who were trying to come up with the most craziest ideas for a comic?
Homage, not parody, very important distinction.

Secondly, no it doesn't count fan fiction in the slightest. Fan fiction does by definition make use of other people's characters (specifically characters that are still under copyright protection), and was written/published without the copyright holder's involvement.

You can draw clear parallels between Splinter and Stick, TMNT to the X-Men, Utroms to Skrull, Triceratons to Kree, Baxter Stockman to Spencer Smythe, Savanti to Kang, Shredder to the Silver Samurai, so on and so forth. All the mentioned characters are however distinct, they don't qualify as the same ones. Likewise, anything made by Sophie for IDW can't be considered fan fiction as anything she makes is under the license and approval of TMNT's copyright holders.

And in case you're wondering, when TMNT goes public domain (2079), any TMNT stories written using only characters established in the first year will not be considered fan fiction regardless of who the author or publisher is.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #110
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Playing devil's advocate but actually it would make sense now, more than in NT:TNM. Now I'm anti-shell boobs entirely and wouldn't want to see them anywhere period (now 4-6 boobs on Alopex, as probably there would be? maybe).. but Jennika is a human becoming turtle, not a turtle becoming a big turtle, which is what happened to the main Turtles in IDW as well as NT:TNM. Could be some latent human DNA doing weird stuff there, no?
Did you see my quote from the Ask Editor thread? Am I totally misinterpreting what was said or is it what I originally said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
With a few Notable exceptions (Ditko and Miller) Comics have been a progressive medium for a long time, the golden age happened because of anti-nazi propaganda.

People like this are not worth acknowledging.
There's social justice...and there's social justice.

Quote:
Secondly, no it doesn't count fan fiction in the slightest. Fan fiction does by definition make use of other people's characters (specifically characters that are still under copyright protection), and was written/published without the copyright holder's involvement.
Oh okay I see. But then Wiki is wrong? If so it needs to be changed neatoman:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag..._Ninja_Turtles

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first appeared in an American comic book published by Mirage Studios in 1984 in Dover, New Hampshire. The concept arose from a humorous drawing sketched out by Eastman during a casual evening of brainstorming and bad television with Laird.[3] Using money from a tax refund, together with a loan from Eastman's uncle, the young artists self-published a single-issue comic intended to parody four of the most popular comics of the early 1980s: Marvel Comics’ Daredevil and New Mutants, Dave Sim’s Cerebus, and Frank Miller’s Ronin.[4] The TMNT comic book series has been published in various incarnations by various comic book companies since 1984.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #111
ChosenOne
Banned

Parody isn't the same as fan fiction. For instance, The Naked Gun is a parody of police procedurals and noir crime stories, would you say it's fan fiction?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #112
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Parody isn't the same as fan fiction. For instance, The Naked Gun is a parody of police procedurals and noir crime stories, would you say it's fan fiction?
I get that now but neatoman called TMNT homage when Wiki states it was intended as a parody. So if it's wrong maybe someone should change it?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #113
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I get that now but neatoman called TMNT homage when Wiki states it was intended as a parody. So if it's wrong maybe someone should change it?
Yes, someone should. TMNT isn't intended to mock these comics, it doesn't even qualify as comedy. I see why people might assume it's parody considering the main characters are mutant turtles, but anyone who's familiar with the comics would know it's played too straight.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #114
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

The first issue was intended as a parody of Daredevil, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. It was originally most likely going to be a one and done. It sold so well that Eastman and Laird decided to do a series instead.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #115
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
The first issue was intended as a parody of Daredevil, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. It was originally most likely going to be a one and done. It sold so well that Eastman and Laird decided to do a series instead.
That issue isn't parody either because it's not meant to be humorous, if anything it's the least humorous in the series.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #116
Damo
Random Punk

Not everyone agrees on what's funny.

And I would argue that there's something at least a little amusing about a comic that's basically "let's take those grim and gritty stories about ninjas, vengeance, and honor duels... and it's going to star giant turtle people."

At least initially, the series deliberately tried not to take itself too seriously. Casey was initially conceived (and written) as a crazy vigilante whose origin was literally "he watched too many movies/shows like Dirty Harry."

But it's worth noting that the term "parody" doesn't just refer to things that are humorous in content. James Joyce's Ulysses is considered a parody of Homer's Odyssey. Watchmen is a parody of traditional superhero comics. Shows like The Twilight Zone (and more recently Black Mirror) have long done "parodies" of popular genres.

Sometimes a parody is nothing more than just an author asking questions not asked in the original stories... what DOES happen during "happily ever after" is a popular source of parody.

tldr: Parodies don't have to be funny.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #117
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Not everyone agrees on what's funny.

And I would argue that there's something at least a little amusing about a comic that's basically "let's take those grim and gritty stories about ninjas, vengeance, and honor duels... and it's going to star giant turtle people."

At least initially, the series deliberately tried not to take itself too seriously. Casey was initially conceived (and written) as a crazy vigilante whose origin was literally "he watched too many movies/shows like Dirty Harry."

But it's worth noting that the term "parody" doesn't just refer to things that are humorous in content. James Joyce's Ulysses is considered a parody of Homer's Odyssey. Watchmen is a parody of traditional superhero comics. Shows like The Twilight Zone (and more recently Black Mirror) have long done "parodies" of popular genres.

Sometimes a parody is nothing more than just an author asking questions not asked in the original stories... what DOES happen during "happily ever after" is a popular source of parody.

tldr: Parodies don't have to be funny.
Watchmen is typically called a deconstruction, not parody. Anyway, here are some definitions of parodies I could find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge Dictionary
writing, music, art, speech, etc. that intentionally copies the style of someone famous or copies a particular situation, making the features or qualities of the original more noticeable in a way that is humorous:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocabulary.com
A parody is a humorous or mocking imitation of something, using the same form as the original. To parody a poem, you have to write another poem.
A parody is a form of humor that spoofs — or satirizes — something using the same form. For example, shows like "Saturday Night Live" and "The Daily Show" parody newscasts by doing fake newscasts that look like the real thing. Comedians and comedy writers love to parody the President. Anything in the public eye could be the object of a parody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Dictionary
par·o·dy (păr′ə-dē)
n. pl. par·o·dies
a. A literary or artistic work that uses imitation, as of the characteristic style of an author or a work, for comic effect or ridicule.
b. A genre, as in literature, comprising such works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
parody noun
par·​o·​dy | \ ˈper-ə-dē , ˈpa-rə-\
plural parodies
Definition of parody (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
wrote a hilarious parody of a popular song
2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation
a cheesy parody of a classic western
Even ignoring how all of these definitions emphasise mockery, homage would still be a better word to describe TMNT, as it's is more closely associated with non-mocking imitations.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #118
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yes, someone should. TMNT isn't intended to mock these comics, it doesn't even qualify as comedy. I see why people might assume it's parody considering the main characters are mutant turtles, but anyone who's familiar with the comics would know it's played too straight.
Do you think perhaps the TMNT creations started off as a parody but when Laird and Eastman starting thinking about TMNT as a comic it quickly turned into an homage?
Old 08-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #119
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Do you think perhaps the TMNT creations started off as a parody but when Laird and Eastman starting thinking about TMNT as a comic it quickly turned into an homage?
Not really, no.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #120
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
No I agree with Andrew here, it really doesn't work like that either. The official story behind the creation is that Kevin drew a turtle carrying ninja weapons, which lead to brainstorming between him and Peter. That story would imply they were an original idea at first and any similarities were added later on.

An actual example of what you're talking about would be how Super Dimension Fortress Macross (or Robotech season 1 if you prefer) relates to Mobile Suit Gundam and Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers). While Macross was initially pitched as "parody" (can't really find any reliable sources that it was intended to be humorous but let's assume that's the case) the show can't really be called a comedy, but it is still clearly inspired by Gundam and Yamato from the start.
Hahahaha!