The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 11-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Sequel to the 1990 film in talks!?!

Hey, did anyone else see the article just posted over at screenrant about a new tmnt sequel to the 1990 film, one that will ignore the other sequels? I was kind of surprised to see that. I wonder if it will come true.

https://screenrant.com/teenage-mutan...sequel-reboot/

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 11-04-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

"Wants" and "is making" are two different things, PK.

Also, glad to see you around again!
Old 11-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
"Wants" and "is making" are two different things, PK.

Also, glad to see you around again!
I know, that's why I said, 'I wonder if it's true' meaning I wonder if the negotiations they speak of in the article will come true.

Good to see you again too, man!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah and Ryan Reynolds wants Deadpool 3, but unless these people actively negotiate a deal, it won't happen. There's probably less incentive for Paramount to make TMNT IV than there is for Disney to make Deadpool 3, making it could flare up interest in movies they don't own, which is why any future TMNT movie will be connected to something they already own (if at all, probably not).
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah and Ryan Reynolds wants Deadpool 3, but unless these people actively negotiate a deal, it won't happen. There's probably less incentive for Paramount to make TMNT IV than there is for Disney to make Deadpool 3, making it could flare up interest in movies they don't own, which is why any future TMNT movie will be connected to something they already own (if at all, probably not).
Meh, you are probably right.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Won't happen, BUT that's about the ONLY TMNT movie I'd be interested in watching, at this point.

I confess, I more or less loathe the "Halloween" model of, "Please just ignore the dozen or so other movies in this series that you already paid money and many hours of your life watching, absorbing, and sometimes even falling in love with. We're lazy writers and we'd rather not clean up any spilled milk, so VOILA, now none of it counts anymore." By definition it is the single laziest thing you can do outside of a shot-for-shot remake such as Van Sant's "Psycho". And it does, unavoidably, on some level disrespect the fans who actually like some of those movies we're now asked to pretend didn't happen. Why get invested in ANYthing, then, if it can all be wiped out at the stroke of a pen when some new CEO takes over the studio and gets bored one day? It's annoying.

I remember when "Superman Returns" did it, probably the FIRST one to do it, and it was considered a novel idea but plenty of people still called "shenanigans". Superman III and IV were terrible, though, so they got a pass, and it was probably for the best, as while not everyone loved "Returns" it was infinitely better than the movies it replaced in the official canon.

That said... objectively, there's still been only one GOOD TMNT movie, and that's the first one. The rest are all objectively pretty weak and a few are outright terrible, and I don't wanna hear about all the childhood nostalgia for TMNT II because that is a BAD MOVIE, it's just funny if you saw it as a little kid first, and I get that, but it's NOT GOOD and I'm not in the mood to hear otherwise right now. Just accept that it's only "good" if you're a kid or kid-at-heart, and let's move on.

Since the first TMNT movie was the only good one, this is a rare case where I would be all in favor of this kind of thing. Go ahead, throw out TMNT II, III, and god DAMN it please throw out those BayTurtles movies, and give us the movie we deserved but never got, a REAL sequel to the 1990 film. Like Superman Returns, it couldn't possibly be any worse than what it would replace, so sure, why not?

I doubt it'll happen, though, because I so rarely get what I want. But IF it did, then sure, I'd be up for it. I mean, why not? They tried (and failed) everything else.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I wonder if they’d ignore either 3 or 2007. Would it take place now or sometime ago? Would they actually use Krang and the Technodrome this time?

I think Nick would be open to it if the Seth Rogen one is the only one in the works. They’d probably like to get in on the popularity of that movie anyway.

Revivals of old series are a big thing at the moment.

Edit: Oops didn’t see the last paragraph about the Halloween way. I don’t know about ignoring SOTO or 3. I think you can make a perfectly good part 4 without those getting in the way. Just don’t bring up those events. You don’t have to erase them.

Unless they want to bring back Shredder but if he can survive being crushed in a garbage truck he could survive being crushed in Super form too.

Last edited by Wildcat; 11-04-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Wildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

He's been "trying" for years, it's a nothing.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not too unlike "so and so actor wants to play Wolverine."

Meaningless.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:14 AM   #10
Diorm
Hench Mutant

They talk about it more in this video: https://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sh...ad.php?t=63226
But yeah, it really feels like it's something they "want", and not something they "can". They say it will be a direct sequel to the 1990 with the original actors (how?) forgeting the other movies.
And then again, it's ScreenRant. The only good thing from those guys is Pitch Meetings
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

Someone should pair them up with those "Dawn of the Ninja" guys.

But seriously, I'm at least glad they are kicking up dirt. Perhaps it will lead to a director's cut release or Nick taking a hint regarding the future of the movies.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #12
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I don't know how to feel about this.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Someone should pair them up with those "Dawn of the Ninja" guys.

But seriously, I'm at least glad they are kicking up dirt. Perhaps it will lead to a director's cut release or Nick taking a hint regarding the future of the movies.
I forgot about "Dawn of the Ninja"...
Old 11-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #14
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

It's not something I'm necessarily opposed to, but I don't think it would happen. I think it might be better just to start fresh. But if it did happen, and maybe got Steve Baron and the Henson company onboard, it would be neat to see.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I would literally cut off and sell my legs for science IF we could get a proper TMNT 2 and then they made a sequel to this film like every other year. 1990 remains one of my fav. films of all time! I love these characters and this NYC is my NYC, not the gentrified version of today!

That said, I DON'T SEE IT HAPPENING.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #16
Roseangelo
Emperor

I’ve got people calling me a troll on Facebook because I keep replying that this is 100% never happening.

This is 100% never happening and I hate that this nonsense was published and now we have to deal with idiots who are going to keep repeating it as truth for eternity.

This is BS and you need to stop repeating this stupid headline.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #17
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Oddly, I was chatting with somebody about something like this on Deviantart not long ago. My idea for it would require not throwing out the existing sequels, though, since it would involve that scepter McGuffin thing from III being responsible for the Turtles' disappearance about 25 years ago (when they're around 18 or 19, to justify the Teenage in the title) and their sudden arrival in modern, gentrified New York along with whatever bad guy they were fighting at the time.

They would team up with an older April and Casey, and probably some new younger sidekicks, to face Karai and a decrepit but not dead yet Shredder. Shades of Cobra Kai, with a hint of The Force Awakens. Only with more nunchucks. Even in Britain, because it's allowed now...!
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #18
sdp
Megan Fox = April

TMNT 1990 SEQUEL BEING MADE!!??
Like & Subscribe for more TMNT NEWS!
Thank you for watching my latest video!!
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

I liked the TMNT '07 flick, for what it was. That movie, to me, is like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It's a solid, entertaining flick that isn't a "definitive" story as much as representative of one of the many adventures outside of the career-defining events of Raiders (TMNT '90) and Crusade (SOTO).

I never know what to make of TMNT III. I think I've sat through it twice in my life.... definitely once. I think twice. Maybe when I got it in the Blu-Ray set again. Strange movie.

I couldn't bring myself to watch Bay's Hoodrat turtles, although I did buy the sequel because it was an early 4k disc. The Fred Wolf elements in that movie helped push me through that one. I've watched it once.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #20
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Imagine a drug-addicted Casey Jones portraited by Koteas in all his modern-day baldness, an aged Judith Hoag's April turned to a lab assistant after her TV career went down and the introduction of Baxter Stockman and his mousers. All this while the turtles deal with a City at War scenario with fights all over the city and factions. In the last scene Karai arrives in NYC.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote