The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,131
10th anniversary of Turtles Forever

This month is 10 years since Turtles Forever first debuted over CW 4 Kids in July 2009, even if many didn't catch it until November the samey year. It tells the story of the Fred Wolf turtles and the 4 Kids turtles from two alternate Earths meeting.

http://www.ninjapizza.net/2009/07/

What were your thoughts back then, and what do you think of it now? Or do you want to share any specific memories related to this film? This is the anniversary thread.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,723
Who are you talking to!

There's no one there!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 6,374
I thought it was a relatively good sendoff, in retrospect it might have been better to make a special purely focused on the 4Kids Turtles, for various reasons.

There's nothing really wrong with the special itself, it's a sevicable story and some of the meta references are pretty cool (I really like how it ends with Kevin and Peter putting the final touches on issue 1). The problems I have with it are mainly the impact it had on the fanbase and oddly enough the Nicktoon.

The "it's disrespectful" argument annoys me to no end, I really wish the people who make it would learn to drop the nostalgia goggles and accept there's merit in mocking the FW turtles, or at least understand why a "respectful" version wouldn't really work.

And then there's the fact that it "inspired" four episodes of the Nicktoon, episodes that are in fact little more than two poorly paced rehashes of this special. The first is a condensed remake and the others make up a remake of the parts they had to cut with with new filler between the gap. It was pretty pointless and those four episodes could have been dedicated to literally anything else, yet they chose to make two worse versions of something that had already been done decently well.

I seriously hope the "FW TMNT meets the most recent cartoon version!" idea is never done ever again and the cartoons become solely focused on moving forward.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,703
God I can't believe its been 10 years already. Sometimes it feels like only yesterday when this was announced or the 2k3 series was ending in general. I can't believe an entire decade has passed. I was only in my early 20's when this came out then, it's crazy to think about.

Dear god where does the time go? You can read some of my old posts from 2009 in the 4kids section where I was constantly whining about the old Fred Wolf voice actors not reprising their roles and instead getting sound-a-likes. Back then I had no clue about the whole VA licensing dispute between companies. I guess nowadays Viacom could technically re-dub the old Turtles lines but it's likely not worth the time or money to do.

God we're all so old now, it's ridiculous. 10 YEARS.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
cloud
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 674
It still sucks that this movie didn't get the proper respect. It deserved a proper screening and a special edition DVD treatment.

Really enjoyed the movie and the extended cut.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,178
I remember exhausting my phone data watching this movie on youtube. It was split in several videos too.
__________________
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,723
On its own, the special stands fairly well, with a pretty coherent story, some damn good animation (I especially like the portrayal of the Mirage universe), and some really good references (The Nose, Nose!), all the while not taking itself too seriously, with great jokes complimenting the action scenes.

However, my main and predictable issue with the special is namely that it falls short on the one issue that is arguably one of its biggest selling points, the attempt to bring back the 1987 universe, which ends up feeling like a parody of the show we all know in love, rather than a direct representation of the show itself.

Now, don't get me wrong, there was obviously effort and heart put into bringing back the 1987 universe in the special, but somewhere along the lines, it seems that the writers of Turtles Forever seemed to get their own idea of what the tone of the 1987 show should be like.

What we got in the end was a universe where the supposed 80s turtles are more hive-minded and have behavioral traits more reminiscent of Yakko, Wako and Dot, than their actual personalities from the cartoon.

Is it the worst thing ever though? Absolutely not.

Turtles Forever has a lot of awesome things in it, but it would've been even more awesome if we got the real 1987 turtles in it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 07-08-2019 at 06:39 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Oh boy. Well from what I have been able to watch it's very nicely animated but yeah the FW series come across terrible. It's not a secret Peter Laird hates the 80s series so this was kind of his revenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The "it's disrespectful" argument annoys me to no end, I really wish the people who make it would learn to drop the nostalgia goggles and accept there's merit in mocking the FW turtles, or at least understand why a "respectful" version wouldn't really work.
Again this 'nostalgia googles' is a poor excuse. The only reason a respectful version of the FW series wouldn't work is that they needed to show how different those TMNT were to the 2003 ones. That's it! The problem is of course the writer and everybody else went way OTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I seriously hope the "FW TMNT meets the most recent cartoon version!" idea is never done ever again and the cartoons become solely focused on moving forward.
I agree. I just want FW DVD movies or a TV series continuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
What we got in the end was a universe where the supposed 80s turtles are more hive-minded and have behavioral traits more reminiscent of Yakko, Wako and Dot, than their actual personalities from the cartoon.
I think it was detrimental to being able to fully enjoy the TV movie although in terms of story the characterisation of the FW TMNT had no effect on anything. They could have easily swapped those TMNT for a random universe version we never saw before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That feeling you get where the people at that comic con were the only ones that got to see the full version of the movie. I don't know what they were thinking when they released the DVD. I've never seen a 'TV-edited' version of a movie bring released on home media, it's always meant to be the actual film.
The full version was available in the UK although I don't remember many rushing to import it for some weird reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I watched the OT Season 1 dvd and they’re exceptionally great for its time (I somehow couldn't watch the later seasons due to different tone and drop of animation quality).
But even compared to a random Season 5 Turtles Forever still makes them worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The weirdest thing was the noogie bit. Once was fine, though still odd since I don't recall them ever doing it on their show, but they did it like 3 or so times that it felt like they were trying to say it was a staple of the 80s TMNT just as much as Cowabunga was. That was a very weird addition. Unless the Forever writers thought everyone was giving everyone noogies in the 80s or something.
I think maybe they got as far as giving each other group hugs or high fiving in the FW series? Noogies as you say I do not remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And do '87 right. I'd love to see all their (various versions of Turtles) reactions to the 'Rise' bunch...
Yeah I mean the 2012 series took a crack at them and still made them come across as idiots who have apparently never used their weapons. It's a start but there's certainly room for improvement.

Last edited by pferreira; 07-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,917
Still love this movie to this day. I remember being super hyped for it despite knowing the original voice cast wasn't going to be involved. I can understand why some were upset with how they treated the FW turtles but I don't think 4Kids meant to do it in a way to make them look lame in comparison. More so to differentiate the two groups of turtles, even if their comedic sides were focused on a bit too much.

Unpopular opinion, I felt that the last Nick/FW turtles crossover episode was no better if not worse at "respecting the FW turtles" than this was. It's one thing where they don't use their weapons but to actually learn how to fight? They may not be the best fighters but that's kinda stretching it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Still love this movie to this day. I remember being super hyped for it despite knowing the original voice cast wasn't going to be involved. I can understand why some were upset with how they treated the FW turtles but I don't think 4Kids meant to do it in a way to make them look lame in comparison. More so to differentiate the two groups of turtles, even if their comedic sides were focused on a bit too much.

Unpopular opinion, I felt that the last Nick/FW turtles crossover episode was no better if not worse at "respecting the FW turtles" than this was. It's one thing where they don't use their weapons but to actually learn how to fight? They may not be the best fighters but that's kinda stretching it.
The Fred Wolf turtles fight many of their silliest fights during seasons 3–5, sadly the same years as their popularity peaked.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,438
10 years sounds about right. It’s still a decent enough movie, even though it has flaws. I first watched it (albeit the edited version) on YouTube in 2010. Parts of it were better for me the second time around especially a few scenes when I watched the unedited UK dvd a few years later. Nostalgia for the Fred Wolf toon clouded my judgment the first time, but like IndigoEarth said, I didn’t feel it did both groups of Turtles justice either on my second watch.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker! It might work.
*Donatello goes to the back of the Turtle Van*
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)

Last edited by Wesley; 07-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 919
I didn't like it, I felt the movie was trying to tell every one that OUR version of TMNT is better than the 80's version, I don't recall the 80's Turtles crying and being cowards and giving each other noggies every 5 mins. People may like the film, but outside of the looks, this was NOT the 80's Turtles. It was a insult imo.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I didn't like it, I felt the movie was trying to tell every one that OUR version of TMNT is better than the 80's version, I don't recall the 80's Turtles crying and being cowards and giving each other noggies every 5 mins. People may like the film, but outside of the looks, this was NOT the 80's Turtles. It was a insult imo.
Somewhat agree. I watched the OT Season 1 dvd and they’re exceptionally great for its time (I somehow couldn't watch the later seasons due to different tone and drop of animation quality).

So Turtles Forever is not a good representation of OT. But hey, they got plenty of references and appearances in 2012 which 2k3 is sorely missing out on.
__________________
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #14
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Somewhat agree. I watched the OT Season 1 dvd and they’re exceptionally great for its time (I somehow couldn't watch the later seasons due to different tone and drop of animation quality).

So Turtles Forever is not a good representation of OT. But hey, they got plenty of references and appearances in 2012 which 2k3 is sorely missing out on.
Tone may of been different in the later seasons, more jokes ete. But they still were serious when they needed to be. I didn't see the 80's Turtle in this movie at all. I cant recall them doing what they were doing in the movie at all. When were they crying if something scary show up?(The Killer Pizzas) Outside of it being part of the battle plan, they never ran from a battle also. The movie was pretty much calling the 80's turtles out right cowards. And don't get me started on the endless nuggies they were giving each other. I really don't see how people were defended this back in the day with the 80's turtles being goofy back in the day. Yeah they had there jokes, but they were not really "Goofy".
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,552
I've hoped for years that the 10th anniversary of the movie would prompt Nickelodeon to give the movie a proper re-release. It would be a great opportunity to put out a blu-ray/dvd/digital combo pack (obviously with the movie in its ENTIRETY). Come on Nickelodeon, make it happen. I mean with Nickelodeon's obsession with the original cartoon, it doesn't seem like a far fetched idea.

Last edited by ABrown; 07-10-2019 at 09:36 AM.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Tone may of been different in the later seasons, more jokes ete. But they still were serious when they needed to be. I didn't see the 80's Turtle in this movie at all. I cant recall them doing what they were doing in the movie at all. When were they crying if something scary show up?(The Killer Pizzas) Outside of it being part of the battle plan, they never ran from a battle also. The movie was pretty much calling the 80's turtles out right cowards. And don't get me started on the endless nuggies they were giving each other. I really don't see how people were defended this back in the day with the 80's turtles being goofy back in the day. Yeah they had there jokes, but they were not really "Goofy".
Back then the humor relied more on the turtles taking the cartoonish and silly plots so seriously (while Raph would call it out sometimes) not that the turtles themselves were goofy. Sure they messed around on their down time but so did the 2K3 TMNT.

The weirdest thing was the noogie bit. Once was fine, though still odd since I don't recall them ever doing it on their show, but they did it like 3 or so times that it felt like they were trying to say it was a staple of the 80s TMNT just as much as Cowabunga was. That was a very weird addition. Unless the Forever writers thought everyone was giving everyone noogies in the 80s or something.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.