The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

After Peter wraps up Volume 4, where do you see the comic franchise headed?

I believe Pete's said some stuff along the lines that Volume 4 will be wrapped up in about 12 or so future issues, but given how long it takes him to release these issues we could be looking at it still going for a number of years yet.

In any case, assuming Volume 4 is "concluded" in some form, what do you think will happen to the comic franchise? Will a "Volume 5" be started with an entire new development staff, or perhaps published by a different company like Image did with Volume 3?

The Image run got some mixed reactions from the fanbase, so I don't know if Mirage would let another publishing company handle the plots and stuff again. What do you think will happen?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

I doubt he even knows the answer to that. TMNT has alot of potential in any medium, so hopefully they continue it in some way. Personally I'd like to see a new staff start over fresh rather than build upon the current continuity, if this happens Pete better choose wisely...
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I think a Volume 5 would be appropriate, but something that essentially did the same thing as a reboot. It wouldn't rewrite continuity the way the Ultimate and Allstar universes have, it would just give the Turtles a completely new set of back-up cast members and villains, while retaining the iconic old ones (Casey, April), without making getting too bogged down in continuity. Certain big events can be alluded to quite easily, and if trades are published of said events next year, there wouldn't really be a need to start over (#1-11 + micros, Return to NY, CAW, Volume 2, and 4).
You throw the turtles into a relatively new situation that is familiar all the same, but you mix it up. You could even get away with bringing in a new Shredder, one that doesn't necessarily have to be personally tied to Splinter or the Turtles (the mantle alone does that already).
If Spiderman can reboot, bringing back characters like Harry Osborne, and throwing all new ones into the mix, any comic can. People just need to be willing to give it a go, both on the company end and the fan end.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Probably with Tristan on that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
I think a Volume 5 would be appropriate, but something that essentially did the same thing as a reboot. It wouldn't rewrite continuity the way the Ultimate and Allstar universes have, it would just give the Turtles a completely new set of back-up cast members and villains, while retaining the iconic old ones (Casey, April), without making getting too bogged down in continuity. Certain big events can be alluded to quite easily, and if trades are published of said events next year, there wouldn't really be a need to start over (#1-11 + micros, Return to NY, CAW, Volume 2, and 4).
You throw the turtles into a relatively new situation that is familiar all the same, but you mix it up. You could even get away with bringing in a new Shredder, one that doesn't necessarily have to be personally tied to Splinter or the Turtles (the mantle alone does that already).
If Spiderman can reboot, bringing back characters like Harry Osborne, and throwing all new ones into the mix, any comic can. People just need to be willing to give it a go, both on the company end and the fan end.
I like it!

There are two things I would like to see focused on in a reimagined Volume 5:
1. Teenage Turtles
2. Ninja Turtles

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've always thought a shortening to just "Ninja Turtles" at some point seemed a sensible evolution.

Not terribly interested in them returning to their teens, though, aside from Lost Stories-type stuff.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

I wouldn't mind seeing them in their teens again. But I'd be interesting to see them in their early twenties in stories. It'd be nice to see a fresh start.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
JAkeBlack
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What do you think will happen?
I think Mirage will shut the door on publishing. *If* there are more comics, they will be licensed, based on TV shows, like Titan's short-lived Fast Forward series.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've always thought a shortening to just "Ninja Turtles" at some point seemed a sensible evolution.
Definitely with you there.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I like it!

There are two things I would like to see focused on in a reimagined Volume 5:
1. Teenage Turtles
2. Ninja Turtles

1. If by "Teenage" you mean "18-years-old" and "finishing up the events of Volume 3" I can go for it.

2. Agreed. Very agreed.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAkeBlack View Post
I think Mirage will shut the door on publishing. *If* there are more comics, they will be licensed, based on TV shows, like Titan's short-lived Fast Forward series.
You never know. If it were to happen, I'd personally like to see IDW pick it up. They've done the Transformers ludicrous justice by publishing stories from all continuities. With Turtles you could easily have stuff based on the shows, movies and original continuity.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
You never know. If it were to happen, I'd personally like to see IDW pick it up. They've done the Transformers ludicrous justice by publishing stories from all continuities. With Turtles you could easily have stuff based on the shows, movies and original continuity.
I could totally dig that. Similar to the Thundercats comics my girlfriend has.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
thebrownranger
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Personally I'd like to see a new staff start over fresh rather than build upon the current continuity, if this happens Pete better choose wisely...
I've always wondered if Laird would ever hire artists from Marvel, DC, IDW, Image, or Dark Horse. Eh, I kinda doubt it, but it would be pretty cool. There are a lot of possibilities for a so called "volume 5".
Playmates TMNT statues- Donatello, Michelangelo
thebrownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

I'd love to see what DC or Marvel could do with the turtles. If either company picked it up it would be pretty darn big and available in more places
Old 08-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

If we're lucky? IT get licenced to Image.

IF Gary's still there? All comics go out of print forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
1. If by "Teenage" you mean "18-years-old" and "finishing up the events of Volume 3" I can go for it.
They actually were celebrating their 19th birthdays in the last issue of Volume 3.

And if DC or Marvel acquired TMNT... I don't think that'd be a good thing at all. Short of a massive, massive earth-shaking premiere and extraordinary buzz from Wizard, etc., I don't think either company would let the TMNT continue seeing print beyond the first 7 or so issues -- their cancellation threshold is much higher than something indy like Mirage... they routinely cancel books selling 15,000 copies or so.

TMNT/Tales of the TMNT sells an average of about 3,400 or so.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-16-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #17
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They actually were celebrating their 19th birthdays in the last issue of Volume 3.

And if DC or Marvel acquired TMNT... I don't think that'd be a good thing at all. Short of a massive, massive earth-shaking premiere and extraordinary buzz from Wizard, etc., I don't think either company would let the TMNT continue seeing print beyond the first 7 or so issues -- their cancellation threshold is much higher than something indy like Mirage... they routinely cancel books selling 15,000 copies or so.

TMNT/Tales of the TMNT sells an average of about 3,400 or so.
Then again, with someone actually Advertising and distributing these comics properly, they might not be doing so crappily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
Then again, with someone actually Advertising and distributing these comics properly, they might not be doing so crappily.
I echo these sentiments. If more people knew about the book it would be doing a lot better.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
CJStyles
Hench Mutant

Exactly. With a big name company behind it and proper promotion people would pick up the books.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #20
JAkeBlack
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStyles View Post
Exactly. With a big name company behind it and proper promotion people would pick up the books.
Just like the whole world rushed out and picked up Batman and Iron Man comics this summer? The people I've talked to at Marvel and DC say they've not seen a significant bump up in sales on those comics which couldn't have asked for better promotion this summer...

I said in another thread that part of the issue is the US economy, as well as the comics industry in general. It's not *just* that Mirage doesn't promote the books...