The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Live-Action "One Piece" TV Series in Development

The same studio currently developing the live action Cowboy Bebop series just made this announcement today.

Quote:
The One Piece 20th anniversary event revealed on Friday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action Hollywood television show adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga.
Tomorrow Studios is also producing a live-action television series adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.
The One Piece manga centers on Monkey D. Luffy, an aspiring pirate who, like many other pirates, dream of claiming the legendary "One Piece" treasure left behind by a legendary pirate. He gathers a crew and a ship and explores the Grand Line in search of the treasure, while also confronting rival pirates and government navies along the way.

Oda began serializing the manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine on July 19, 1997, and Shueisha published the manga's 85th compiled book volume in Japan on May 2. As of April, the manga has 350 million copies in print in Japan, and 66 million copies in print outside of Japan, with publications in more than 30 countries. The manga set a world record in June 2015 for having 320,866,000 copies printed worldwide as of December 2014. The world record is for "The most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author."
The manga has spawned a media franchise consisting of a long-running television anime that began in 1999, anime television specials, 13 anime films, video games, novels, toys, theme park attractions, and more. 4Kids aired the television anime by Toei Animation in 2004, and FUNimation Entertainment acquired the license in 2007. Cartoon Network began airing that anime the same year. Adult Swim's Toonami block began airing the anime in 2013, and removed it from the schedule earlier this year in March.
Viz Media releases the manga in English, and publishes the serialized chapters weekly every Monday in its English edition of Weekly Shonen Jump. The company also publishes the manga's compiled book volumes.
Source: The Mainichi Shimbun's Mantan Web
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...v-show/.119132

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

F*ck. There is no way this could work. Atleast Bebop is feasible. A large part of OPs appeal is it's style. You can't do that in live action.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

This is a horrible idea.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Allio
Foot Elite

Oda confirms that the show will be adapting the east blue arc. And supposedly the show will be having a record breaking budget.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

ROFL, ITV doing live-action anime is above their standard low-brow fare. Mind you, they did a bang-up job with Thunderbirds
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:19 AM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Eight episodes have dropped on Netflix, checked out the pilot.

Felt pretty lifeless, actors were just...acting, it didn't feel like they believed in the roles
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
Allio
Foot Elite

Overall I enjoyed the watch. I was able to go ahead and binge all the episodes, so there is that.

As for the overall story… it’s the East Blue

As far as adaptations:

Episode 1 is probably the strongest in scenes they grabbed. I’ll admit I still wish to see Luffy give the swords to Zoro, but it depends on how they use Helmeppo’s story going from here

episode 2 I find the most… disheartening. But that’s because Orange Town had some of the most iconic scenes of the East Blue arc. The clown top circus was a nice set piece, but it was disappointing thatmost of Buggy’s crew was dispatched off screen.

syrup village, i have things to say. Reading One Piece when I was younger, I have to say I really enjoyed Siam and Butchie and am glad they made it here though I am disappointed thatJango was relegated to cameo only on a wanted poster.

as for the story? This one is the weakest adaptation. Like Orange town I liked the mansion set. But I can’t get over Kuro’s plan. In the original basically Kuro had planed for the Black Cat pirates to attack the town (kill a few people) and then set up a hypnotized Kaya’s death after she wrote the her will.He set up a nice tragic inheritance and he got to still live in the village with the survivors. Herethe attack was meant to take place in the mansion, and without the will it feels like Kaya’s murder would have been more than a coincidence when Kuro essentially would take over the estate. we did get a good Kaya/usopp scene, so that is a plus.

Baratie. Honestly makes me wish we got those original 10 episode order. While I can get behind the reason of combining the Don Kreig fight withthe initial Arlong attack I do think the Don Kreig fight was needed, especially since we don’t get a sanji highlight until the arlong park.

this makes episode 6 essentially all original to the show. Which I’ll admit I kind of like, because this could be seen as a precursor to Luffy’s breakdown later on to the whole Kuma/Ace failure.

Arlong park. Honestly outside of missing Hachi, this one hit most of the mark when it comes to the arc and outside of some nitpicks of Luffy’s character portrayal. Only thing I wished they kept was that Coco village knew about Nami’s plan that way if she ever decided to run away, she could with out remorse. But honestly outside of that, it hit all the marks. Perhaps could have used an extra episode.

Garp vs Luffy was weird, but I guess they had to make a climax to that story somehow. And we get a stinger with Smoker so I guess a possible season 2 will have Loguetown.

Overall just some thoughts on the adaptation. Would definitely put it in a higher tier live action adaptation. Maybe just right under the Kenshin films.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #8
Barkworm
Super Moderator

As someone who's been following the original series for more than 20 years now, I can say while it's not perfect, it's definitely got all the heart an adaptation of One Piece needs to have. There are problems with the budget which make some of the effects look bad but overall it looks and feels far better than I would have expected. Most importantly, some of the big emotional moments from the original work really well in the show.

Overall, I'm impressed. I had a ton of fun with the show, the acting is great and it manages to have only few cringy moments - a feat very remarkable for a life action show about a rubber guy with lots of friends wearing horrible wigs.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:36 PM   #9
Allio
Foot Elite

Oda confirms season2
Old 09-29-2023, 12:25 AM   #10
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I guess almost no one cares about this here but I highly recommend watching this show, even - or maybe especially - if you are unfamiliar with the original. There's a camp factor to it but if you can embrace it, it's a very fun experience.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:10 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

How long before they adapt Cross Epoch?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote