The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 01:51 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Future Of The Amazing Spider-Man Comic Strip

Big changes are coming to the Spider-Man newspaper strip

From March 25th, the strip will be going into reruns. It is not known how long these reruns will last, the strip will eventually return with a brand new creative team.

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index...n-comic-strip/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Does anyone actually care about the comic strip?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:03 AM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Does anyone actually care about the comic strip?
I do, and it's proving popular enough to have some of the older material collected in trades.

Yeah, most of the fanbase that comment on it are incredibly snarky, but they're like that with every strip available on Comic Kingdom.

I enjoy the strip more than the regular books, and it's the only place left where Peter and MJ are married.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Roy Thomas, the uncredited writer of the ASM newspaper strip, recently commented on the changes coming to the strip...he didn't know of any, all he knows is the strip as we know it is done!

Quote:
“I know nothing of any Spidey strip to come, only that the one Alex Saviuk and I (and until recently Larry Lieber) had been doing is kaput.”
http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index...n-comic-strip/

The Spider-Man Crawl Space website got in touch with Alex Saviuk, artist for the Spider-Man newspaper strip, who had a lot more to say

Quote:
Hi Brad! Now that KFS has posted their statement yes, the Spider-Man strip as we know it has come to an end. And as much as Roy Thomas and I were hoping that the strip would go on to continue Stan Lee’s legacy just as King Features did with The Phantom after Lee Falk died 20 years ago, that’s not the case here. March 23 will be the last Daily and March 17 will be the last Sunday as we close out the current storyline. It’s news to me that in the statement it mentioned a new strip starting up possibly months down the road after they reprint some classic Lee-Romita stories from 40 years ago or 30 years ago whichever they choose! A strip further exploring the Marvel universe as they say which doesn’t mean it would or wouldn’t be Spider-Man and if they were going to feature new creators or if they would call on Roy and me again to create stories in any universe they desire us to go. Time will tell but in the meantime it was glorious fun while it lasted and I learned a huge lesson about not counting any chickens before they hatch. It was difficult inking and sending in my last week of Dailies a few weekends ago ( the Sundays were always done 3 months ahead of time so I hadn’t drawn one of those in months ). It was like saying goodbye to my old friend all over again.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:52 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Today was the final new Sunday edition of the current era. Peter and MJ make their way out of the Bugle, with Peter putting on a fake Australian accent to mock the fact he turned down a big raise to stay behind in the city and cancel their vacation. MJ tells Peter she loves him, Peter says "ditto". And that's it. The final panel is a classic Romita sketch of Spider-Man with Stan's immortal catchphrase "EXCELSIOR" in a caption at the bottom.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

And that's it. The end of the road for the current regime. MJ gets the lion's share of the dialogue, saying that it's been her lifelong dream to travel to Australia and that she has her achivements in Hollywood and Broadway to thank for it. She's glad that they can spend every minute of the vacation together, with Peter's only comments being how lucky he is to be with her. MJ holds up a newspaper to read with Spider-Man plastered on the front, the headline? 'NUFF SAID.