The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #561
StealthNinjaScyther
Foot Soldier
 
StealthNinjaScyther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 198
The next wave is the Bug Bustin' variants and maybe Bullhop.
StealthNinjaScyther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #562
BlueKatana
Hench Mutant
 
BlueKatana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthNinjaScyther View Post
The next wave is the Bug Bustin' variants and maybe Bullhop.
Thanks for the info!
__________________
You know I got your back...just like a Turtle Shell!
BlueKatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #563
Wes
Mad Scientist
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A very scary place. With crayons!
Posts: 1,488
Finally started seeing the Battle Shell figures at local Walmarts; at this point I've managed to snag everyone except Mikey. (I've seen him around; I just try to spread my toy purchases out over multiple store visits and I don't imagine he'll end up being super rare.) I'm rather digging the figures themselves -- I much prefer the BS headsculpts and (since I didn't end up with the SDCC/club membership figures) fully plan on taking advantage of the sculpted marking areas to paint in those details.

The Battle Shell feature is fairly disappointing here, though. One of the coolest things about the vintage BS figures was that one could shove pretty much whatever one wanted inside there, whereas these new figures have their innards specifically tailored to the weapons they come with, which means it's that much harder to fit different accessories in there. And in theory that wouldn't be so bad, but the weapons they come with are awful. Like, so bad they might as well have come with nothing. Actually Raph's tonfas are okay... though incidentally he also has the notches for storing them on his belt, which makes the Battle Shell function mostly useless. Still, I'm sure I've got some tiny accessories I can make fit, and if all else fails I can drill the notches out of there.
__________________


* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?


Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #564
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior
 
TMNachoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mendoza
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Finally started seeing the Battle Shell figures at local Walmarts; at this point I've managed to snag everyone except Mikey. (I've seen him around; I just try to spread my toy purchases out over multiple store visits and I don't imagine he'll end up being super rare.) I'm rather digging the figures themselves -- I much prefer the BS headsculpts and (since I didn't end up with the SDCC/club membership figures) fully plan on taking advantage of the sculpted marking areas to paint in those details.

The Battle Shell feature is fairly disappointing here, though. One of the coolest things about the vintage BS figures was that one could shove pretty much whatever one wanted inside there, whereas these new figures have their innards specifically tailored to the weapons they come with, which means it's that much harder to fit different accessories in there. And in theory that wouldn't be so bad, but the weapons they come with are awful. Like, so bad they might as well have come with nothing. Actually Raph's tonfas are okay... though incidentally he also has the notches for storing them on his belt, which makes the Battle Shell function mostly useless. Still, I'm sure I've got some tiny accessories I can make fit, and if all else fails I can drill the notches out of there.
What about the sculpts? Do they look more accurate to the designs from the show compared to the figs from wave 1? Cheers!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #565
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNachoT View Post
What about the sculpts? Do they look more accurate to the designs from the show compared to the figs from wave 1? Cheers!
The sculpts on the BS Turtles are much better then the Basics, and while they lack the painted markings, they have sculpted lines where Leo's yellow arm and leg stripes are placed, Mikey's dots and Donnie's weird tech markings.

But due to the spring-loaded shell action the head articulation is little more then just a swivel, which is a huge disappointment
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #566
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But due to the spring-loaded shell action the head articulation is little more then just a swivel, which is a huge disappointment
well to be fair Playmates Toys and Disappointment go hand in hand like Peanut Butter and Jelly
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #567
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior
 
TMNachoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mendoza
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The sculpts on the BS Turtles are much better then the Basics, and while they lack the painted markings, they have sculpted lines where Leo's yellow arm and leg stripes are placed, Mikey's dots and Donnie's weird tech markings.

But due to the spring-loaded shell action the head articulation is little more then just a swivel, which is a huge disappointment

Thank you!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #568
Wes
Mad Scientist
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A very scary place. With crayons!
Posts: 1,488
I'll second what Candy Kappa said. If you can only get one set and you want the more show-accurate ones, then you definitely want the Battle Shell versions (especially if you're inclined to paint the markings yourself).
__________________


* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?


Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #569
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior
 
TMNachoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mendoza
Posts: 723
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'll second what Candy Kappa said. If you can only get one set and you want the more show-accurate ones, then you definitely want the Battle Shell versions (especially if you're inclined to paint the markings yourself).
Cheers, Wes!!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2018, action figures, playmates, rise of the tmnt, toys

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.