The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #21
Powder
So tired of this place

In no particular order:

Cinemassacre
Ashens/Barshens
Jontron
Did You Know Gaming
Beta64
Pilotredsun
RRcherrypie
Decocookie
Japanesestuffchannel
Fail Army
The Best Fails
RetroSFX
Bulby
OlegBerg
98DEMAKE
Pogo
Silvermania (RIP)
Yo! Pause Da 90s (RIP)
Underbelly (RIP)

& then there's a host of official channels belong to comic/radio talent, musicians, etc, as well as random people who actively upload clips/episodes/songs of stuff I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
all that stuff
Agreed.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #22
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wish Spoony was still doing stuff on the regular. He and I have like the exact same taste in games and movies, particularly growing up.
Haha, you just immediately pointed out one of the guys I was thinking of in particular when I said "undercard guys who had more talent or wit". Spoony knew what he was doing, even in regard to things I didn't like. One thing I always hated with the early content creators - especially Channel Awesome guys, some of whom still do it to this day - are all the skits they do, but Spoony had it down to a science. Spoony was the Ramones of skits; he knew to keep it short and when to get the f*** out. Plus he usually just did them for quick jokes. Whether it were games or movies, he had wit and could point out where they went wrong in an entertaining way. It helped that, occasionally it felt like there were real feelings there rather than all simply being a character, such as when he discussed the connection he had with Ultima and his brother. I miss stuff like Rebruary, too.

It's a shame he's completely vanished. No one even knows if he's alright anymore.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #23
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Game Grumps
Lindsay Ellis
Cinamassacre
Mike Jeavons
Angry Joe
Screen Junkies
Black Nerd
Comicbookgirl19
Chris Stuckman
Collider
Jontron
Linkara
Ninja Sex Party
I used to be a Channel Awesome fan but after what has been going down lately I #changedthechannel and Unsubscribed. I still watch some of the current CA people only on there personal youtube channels
Old 04-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Haha, you just immediately pointed out one of the guys I was thinking of in particular when I said "undercard guys who had more talent or wit". Spoony knew what he was doing, even in regard to things I didn't like. One thing I always hated with the early content creators - especially Channel Awesome guys, some of whom still do it to this day - are all the skits they do, but Spoony had it down to a science. Spoony was the Ramones of skits; he knew to keep it short and when to get the f*** out. Plus he usually just did them for quick jokes. Whether it were games or movies, he had wit and could point out where they went wrong in an entertaining way. It helped that, occasionally it felt like there were real feelings there rather than all simply being a character, such as when he discussed the connection he had with Ultima and his brother. I miss stuff like Rebruary, too.

It's a shame he's completely vanished. No one even knows if he's alright anymore.
Yeah, I never felt for a moment Spoony was playing a part. He seemed as riled up about the same stuff I'd been riled up about. Just more eloquently and entertainingly.

The "man in a hat" or whatever... could never get into that. Super forced character. Forced sensationalism. Same as I can't voluntarily watch something like Rachel Maddow.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:47 AM   #25
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Do you find that you hardly ever watch channels or types of videos anymore, that at one time you couldn’t get enough of? I’ve lost track of quite a few in the past year or so. Sometimes the content dries up, but I also find that the format of a lot of channels gets repetitive and tedious after a while.

I can’t watch any of the short-form factoid style videos anymore, like Whatculture or Watch Mojo. I used to like them, but I’ve seen a few too many on topics that I know a lot about, and find they’re full of inaccuracies, so I have to question how much of their other stuff is horse crap. Pop culture theory channels make me want to drill a hole in my brain. I don’t know where some of these chumps learned critical analysis, but I’ve eaten avocados that could do a better job, and with more charisma too.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #26
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Off the top of my head

1. AbdallahSmash026
2. chuggaaconroy
3. MasaeAnela
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #27
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, I never felt for a moment Spoony was playing a part. He seemed as riled up about the same stuff I'd been riled up about. Just more eloquently and entertainingly.

The "man in a hat" or whatever... could never get into that. Super forced character. Forced sensationalism. Same as I can't voluntarily watch something like Rachel Maddow.
Sadly, it probably would have spoke better of his mental health if it was just a character. Turned out Spoony was just kind of an angry, surly guy with a lot of issues. But it worked on screen because it felt genuine and it didn't feel like he went overboard, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Do you find that you hardly ever watch channels or types of videos anymore, that at one time you couldn’t get enough of? I’ve lost track of quite a few in the past year or so. Sometimes the content dries up, but I also find that the format of a lot of channels gets repetitive and tedious after a while.

I can’t watch any of the short-form factoid style videos anymore, like Whatculture or Watch Mojo. I used to like them, but I’ve seen a few too many on topics that I know a lot about, and find they’re full of inaccuracies, so I have to question how much of their other stuff is horse crap. Pop culture theory channels make me want to drill a hole in my brain. I don’t know where some of these chumps learned critical analysis, but I’ve eaten avocados that could do a better job, and with more charisma too.
You just named two I don't really watch much anymore. Watch Mojo were fine for the lists, but you can also only watch so many of those before it really becomes a "once in a while" thing, plus I kind of hated the voice of one of the guy who did them. WhatCulture is... WhatCulture, I guess. I only recently learned they even did pop culture stuff on a broader level, since they were born out of wrestling (the What in particular being a catchphrase and chant once used by Stone Cold Steve Austin). Never seemed like something to take seriously.

One big one that I stopped watching about two years ago and finally unsubscribed from about a year ago is Jontron.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #28
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Angry Joe
Superbunnyhop
Neebs Gaming
GGGmanlives
ACG
Bennet the Sage
Superbestfriends play
Little Kuriboh(THE OG)
TFS/TFS Gaming/Four Star Bento
BlazingAzureCrow
Something Witty Entertainment
Mother's Basement
Rebel Taxi
Secular Talk
Darkmatter2525
Drunken Peasants/Deep Fat Fried
PotHoler54
Gonzo Otaku Journalist(Foramally known as Digibro)
Gigguk
GodzillaMendoza(the youngest person on this list)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I am over the age of 30 so the whole youtube generation is something after my time. When I watch youtube videos I just type in whatever I want to see, or a trailer for a movie, or an episode/clip of a show/movie I want to find. I don't actually follow any youtubers, or listen to people rant about whatever for 20-30 minutes.

As said I wonder if it has to do with my age. I was born in the 80's, when youtube came out in 2005 I was already 20 years old. So the whole "youtuber" generation thing happened after I was already in College. In fact I didn't even know people even made money on youtube till 2013 or so.

It's the same reason I don't go on social media unless I'm lurking what people say in specific fandoms, because I am a "forum dweller" from the late 90's and early 2000's. I guess I'm an old man now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Redlettermedia is technically a Youtube show. That's where they upload. I watch that left and right all the time.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #31
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

What's a paladin?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #32
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I am over the age of 30 so the whole youtube generation is something after my time. When I watch youtube videos I just type in whatever I want to see, or a trailer for a movie, or an episode/clip of a show/movie I want to find. I don't actually follow any youtubers, or listen to people rant about whatever for 20-30 minutes.

As said I wonder if it has to do with my age. I was born in the 80's, when youtube came out in 2005 I was already 20 years old. So the whole "youtuber" generation thing happened after I was already in College. In fact I didn't even know people even made money on youtube till 2013 or so.

It's the same reason I don't go on social media unless I'm lurking what people say in specific fandoms, because I am a "forum dweller" from the late 90's and early 2000's. I guess I'm an old man now.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What's a paladin?
That was great stuff.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #34
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Funnily enough, I may have liked the Runes of Ultima videos best out of the entire series, which would probably not be the first choice of most.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #35
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Quit acting like you're super old, we're around the same age and social media hit big when I was still in High School with myspace, at the same time youtube also hit it big this was 2005 so the "youtuber" subculture had already started with the likes of AVGN and the like which all current youtubers have evolved from whether they think of it or not.

These are very much "our" generations thing. If you had already finished HS before 2000 then yeah this might not've been your thing but it's our generation that started this "new" world you speak off.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #36
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

The only Channel Awesome crew I ever watched was occasionally Nostalgia Critic, but whenever it opened with a weirdass skit I'd immediately close it.

I guess Linkara's history of Power Rangers was always fun for a bake and watch, though.

As far as YouTubers that I follow... I can only think of two.

PSVR Without Parole is great if you're in the VR community and over 30. It's just a channel that's constantly pumping out quality stuff that isn't in your face with over the top personalities and forced memes.

Passion of the Nerd is great for getting people into Buffy, and his episode guide breakdowns are seriously good education...
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #37
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yeah no kidding. I'm older than Cubed and even I have new favorite people on Youtube.

Sailor J.
She's funny as all get out.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #38
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Quit acting like you're super old, we're around the same age and social media hit big when I was still in High School with myspace, at the same time youtube also hit it big this was 2005 so the "youtuber" subculture had already started with the likes of AVGN and the like which all current youtubers have evolved from whether they think of it or not.

These are very much "our" generations thing. If you had already finished HS before 2000 then yeah this might not've been your thing but it's our generation that started this "new" world you speak off.

so, cube is over the age of 30 and claims i'm the ancient one approaching 40, huh? ahh, the world of the insane, what a confusing one to live in.......but, the sane learn more each day.....

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
so, cube is over the age of 30 and claims i'm the ancient one approaching 40, huh? ahh, the world of the insane, what a confusing one to live in.......but, the sane learn more each day.....
Is 40 not 10 years older than being in my early 30's? Is 40 not considered "middle age?"

I mean, what point are you trying to make here? You're still nearly 10 years older than me. You're even older than Andrew.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #40
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

His point is that you may be young but you still harp on about "your generation" and this imaginary divide between you and "young kids of today". You use it as an excuse to willfully stay ignorant.