The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #81
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

understood.
and yet, if you went to a school full of jerks, of course we experienced the same harshness ;o)...

and nothing wrong with liking saved by the bell. at least the first class. why did i admit that?

that show was horrible
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #82
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I remember a kid grabbing me by the back of the neck and trying to force feed me a whole pomegranate because another kid and I were talking too much about video games. That kind of thing happened a lot - I can't tell you how many times I got into hot water for drawing Ninja Turtles.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #83
Ninjinister
Don't break the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I agree with this. Same with gamer. Ick. I'll just say I play games.
Yeah this one too. Despite having a lot in my life that have to do with games, I can't bring myself to call myself one.

It's why I don't feel like fan bases with nicknames feel right, either.

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #84
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I guess I had better luck than some. I doodled turtles all through high school and although I certainly wasn't a cool kid, I think my quirk was somewhat appreciated.

I certainly didn't tell my partner on the first date or something, but when I mentioned the turtles she wasn't that weirded out. She knew what she was getting into as I'm kind of geeky in general. She liked the Turtles as a kid (granted, she was a kid). I ranted philosophically about the Mirage turtles and she seemed to appreciate why I liked them.

I then showed her the 1990 movie again and she found the characters so one-dimensional she told me she didn't quite get it. I told her it was a visceral thing and I couldn't explain. I don't think she would read the comics.

But she doesn't mind, and she will be tolerating four 1/4 scale turtles in our little apartment, so I can't complain.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #85
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
It's about not wanting to be labeled at all. Wanting to be called a person, a human being.
Which, in and of itself, is a label...is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
That's the thing though. Guys were EXPECTED to like sci-fi things because they were the ones the stuff was aimed at. Girls who liked it were seen as- odd. Even a little "off" because it wasn't "girly" or whatever. And even worse if it was cartoons or comics because not only were they FOR guys they were considered to immature for older kids at all so a girl who was into that stuff was doubly weird- both for being "too old" AND the wrong gender for it! Girls were supposed to like Barbie and My Little Pony if they were little, and maybe Saved By the Bell or something if older(for the relationship stuff). Certainly NOT TMNT or Transformers or Spider-Man!

As a guy, at least YOU would have been the "right" gender to be acceptable to like something like TMNT. We girls- weren't. Acceptable to like it, even by the guys who did, too! No wonder we kept it quiet, if even our fellow fans wouldn't allow us into their ranks!
Preach, on Sister.
Preach on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Yeah this one too. Despite having a lot in my life that have to do with games, I can't bring myself to call myself one.

It's why I don't feel like fan bases with nicknames feel right, either.
Gamer's a loaded term now, thanks to Gatekeepers.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #86
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
;o)...
Legit not trying to troll but why do you use this creepy ass face

Like I'm not mad I'm curious
Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #87
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Which, in and of itself, is a label...is it not?
No, of course not.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #88
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

I've had mixed reactions from boyfriends over the years, some thought it was cool, some didn't care at all and would watch episodes with me to be nice, but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him. He wasn't wrong because I pretty much dumped him right there for being nuts. Fun times in my 20s

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #89
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him.
Yeah, that just doesn't fly, insulting Turtle affections like that, that's sacred ground. I'd have ditched his butt too, being jealous over a fictional character. (But I'm willing to play fair; a guy could have his "other woman," too, provided she's also fictional or some celeb he'll never meet.)

For his sake I hope he grew up since then.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #90
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Funny, I would think the person with enough of an emotional attachment to a fictional character to get in the way of a relationship is the one who needs to grow up.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 AM   #91
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Preeeety sure for most who are worth being with that isn't even going to be an issue.

If you aren't a priority, well then I guess either it's a bad match or you suck, either way time to move on.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #92
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Funny, I would think the person with enough of an emotional attachment to a fictional character to get in the way of a relationship is the one who needs to grow up.
Except it wasn't an emotional attachment to a fictional character that got in the way of the relationship. Him throwing a fit about a character that didn't exist was a sign to me that maybe he wasn't emotionally stable enough to be in a relationship with. We hadn't even been dating for that long and for him to get physically upset over something that uninvolved with the reality of everyday life was frankly kinda off-putting for me.

But hey I've ended up happy and productive in my life so you know whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, that just doesn't fly, insulting Turtle affections like that, that's sacred ground. I'd have ditched his butt too, being jealous over a fictional character. (But I'm willing to play fair; a guy could have his "other woman," too, provided she's also fictional or some celeb he'll never meet.)

I like when people have their "thing" they are passionate it about. Being it a show, a game or even a sports team. I just find that kind of person more interesting and well rounded personally, so I totally get what you're saying.

Artwork by Jim Lawson

Last edited by FearlessLeader; 06-16-2017 at 07:00 AM.
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #93
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
I've had mixed reactions from boyfriends over the years, some thought it was cool, some didn't care at all and would watch episodes with me to be nice, but I did have one boyfriend that got really jealous of Leonardo. Like threw one of my plushies across the room yelling that I liked Leo more than him. He wasn't wrong because I pretty much dumped him right there for being nuts. Fun times in my 20s
It's always interesting to see how our investments in these characters can test the emotional durability of the world around us and help to inform our life choices
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote