The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #641
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yep, same here. I'll still check this new show out to see where it goes.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #642
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since the 4kids series ended in 2009, we would have had no TMNT cartoon for a decade without Nick.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #643
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Since the 4kids series ended in 2009, we would have had no TMNT cartoon for a decade without Nick.
... TMNT is a fairly lucrative property, are you really sure nobody else within a ten year timespan would want buy or license it?
Hahahaha!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #644
AquaParade
Banned

Okay, someone put me in my place if I deserve it, but...

If this show does go for any kind of "comedy sitcom" vibe, I personally will hope for it to fall on it's face.
It sounds so cruel and harsh when there are people behind the scenes who will undoubtedly put their heart and souls into the show, but I'm passionate about the direction of the franchise to the point where I really want Nickelodeon to get the message - TMNT can be much more than a silly children's cartoon.

Normally, I don't get too invested in the idea of a cartoon - I'm fine sticking to the other mediums of properties I love(i.e. movies, comics, video games). I realize cartoons are, on some level, strictly created to sell toys and market to children. I get that and I'm fine with it. But with a franchise as delicate as tmnt, with no "home base" like Marvel or WB to keep it thriving, I feel it's important for TMNT to be represented in the way the 2012 show was doing: Action, drama, AND comedy.

All this being said, if it were the right creative team, the turtles actually could work well as a sitcom w/splashes of action. I've certainly read a ton of wonderful Mirage TMNT short stories that didn't revolve around the action and were completely charming at the same time.
I don't want to sound like I'm judging a show before it arrives. Any outcome is possible, quality wise. Just having some fun speculating.

Take care,
Johnny
Old 05-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #645
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
... TMNT is a fairly lucrative property, are you really sure nobody else within a ten year timespan would want buy or license it?
Peter Laird said he and Mirage got several offers to buy the TMNT property besides Nick back in 2009, but he turned them all down because they offered too little money or they were "insulting" according to him on his blog. Nick offered $60 million so I suppose that was the highest amount proposed to him at the time and he went with it.

Had the Nick offer never happened, I think TMNT would be in the same place the Volume 4 Mirage comics currently are. Just dead in the water and he'd just sit on the property and do nothing with it.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #646
sdp
-

TMNT is an evergreen company, I'm sure Laird got better offers but not at the right time. I think Viacom's offer was at a time he just wanted to get rid of it and move on.

TMNT could've been sold for far more if he had actively looked for itSimilar to Lucas, he could've sold Star Wars for far more but who would've paid? Power Rangers sold for 100 Million which is a property that is co-owned with TOEI so not even owned outright and yet has less potential than TMNT.

Laird was never a business man, which is why he hated running Mirage, he's an artist.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #647
AquaParade
Banned

I really wish Marvel had bought tmnt. I still hope for that someday.

I know it sounds like sacrilege when you consider they came from an independent studio like Mirage, but I'd prefer it to Viacom (who, to be fair, have done a decent job handling TMNT).

I feel that the turtles would integrate pretty smoothly with the Marvel Universe, all things considered. I can totally imagine them running into the Morlocks, or Mikey joining the X-Men.
Sure, we may lose aspects of isolation in a world so filled with mutants, but we would also likely gain storytelling elements we never imagined for tmnt. The films would be treated with much more respect as well.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-19-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #648
sdp
-

god no, the Batman crossover is already pretty bad. I think I'd rather have MLP.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #649
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
god no, the Batman crossover is already pretty bad. I think I'd rather have MLP.
What? Both Batman crossovers IDW did were pretty good and well received.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #650
yohanc
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if Rise turns out to be 90% like half shell heroes in terms of tone and animation. I dont dislike it though, im quite welcoming of this style.

Somehow I can feel this "Rise" will have the same tone & animation style as Half Shell Heroes.
Because the Nick president said that "the new series to take the characters in a different direction with more humor, a younger and lighter feel and all-new dimensions to explore"

Half Shell Heroes is not that bad, but the animation style is kinda for kids (I think most adult wouldn't like it, including me)
TMNT 2012 CG Style is fine because it is between for kids and adults taste

But since this "Rise" co-executive producer is Andy Suriano (character designer for the "Samurai Jack”), let's hope it will have a cool animation style and approach like "Samurai Jack"
Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #651
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What? Both Batman crossovers IDW did were pretty good and well received.
I haven't read them, I'm not talking about the quality of the stories but about me not liking TMNT being a part of the DC or Marvel universes, even if it's for a one shot team up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohanc View Post
http://nick.mtvnimages.com/nick/prom...xdimension=600
Somehow I can feel this "Rise" will have the same tone & animation style as Half Shell Heroes.
Because the Nick president said that "the new series to take the characters in a different direction with more humor, a younger and lighter feel and all-new dimensions to explore"

Half Shell Heroes is not that bad, but the animation style is kinda for kids (I think most adult wouldn't like it, including me)
TMNT 2012 CG Style is fine because it is between for kids and adults taste

But since this "Rise" co-executive producer is Andy Suriano (character designer for the "Samurai Jack”), let's hope it will have a cool animation style and approach like "Samurai Jack"
I already posted my thoughts on my site over analyzing the few quotes and information we have but, basically I don't see it being like Half Shell Heroes, I think the SDCC TMNT shorts we got lat year are more likely to be similar in tone since they do mention action and mutants and whatnot, I think that's what Nick wanted with the first show but it didn't end up being what they wanted.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #652
yohanc
Random Punk

^ I read your article.
Yeah, I guess you are right, the "Rise" probably will have the same tone from one of the SDCC TMNT shorts
The SDCC TMNT shorts look good for me

Quote:
TMNT 2012 was going to be cancelled after the fifth season
Cancelled?
Do you mean the show will conclude/wraps up?
Because I think cancelled and concluded is kinda different
Cancelled: The show sucks and nobody watch it (it has a low rating), the producer decide to cancel it and there is no final ending for the show.
Concluded: The show is doing fine, the plot is coming to its peak and the producer decide to end the show, and there is a final ending.

Last edited by yohanc; 05-21-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #653
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I really wish Marvel had bought tmnt. I still hope for that someday.

I know it sounds like sacrilege when you consider they came from an independent studio like Mirage, but I'd prefer it to Viacom (who, to be fair, have done a decent job handling TMNT).

I feel that the turtles would integrate pretty smoothly with the Marvel Universe, all things considered. I can totally imagine them running into the Morlocks, or Mikey joining the X-Men.
Sure, we may lose aspects of isolation in a world so filled with mutants, but we would also likely gain storytelling elements we never imagined for tmnt. The films would be treated with much more respect as well.
Ten years ago, I would've been right there with you, but now I'm a little more jaded about the state of the Marvel Comic's universe (this goes for DC as well, but I'm not as familiar with their properties).

The problem is that because of the popularity of some characters, most of them will never die off or evolve in any meaningful way, and so over time the comics universe becomes more and more crowded and any changes that do occur eventually, inevitably revert back to the status quo. Corporate interests should not be allowed to make characters immortal and stagnant.

All that said, I would love a Marvel/TMNT crossover miniseries. Any of the superheroes based out of New York would be a great fit I think. The Batman/TMNT comic crossover (haven't read the cartoon comic crossover) was pretty good and I hope Marvel sees that and tries to do something in the future
Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #654
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Marvel could still keep the turtles living on Earth in a separate reality, and interact with the other Marvel figures only when it's crossover-time. Portals can take them between realities.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #655
sdp
-

I guess a one shot crossover is fine but come on the Marvel and DC universe do not make sense with the TMNT in there. More is not better and two great things don't make an even better one.

Look at how all the indie superheroes that died when they became a part of the DC and Marvel universe, Gen 13, Ultraforce, WildCATS, etc. Regardless of your opinions on them the fact is DC/Marvel never cared and the fans they had were left with nothing. Granted TMNT is more popular so they wouldn't do that but still. It's like those people that want Marvel and Star Wars to crossover..no, just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohanc View Post

Cancelled?
Do you mean the show will conclude/wraps up?
Because I think cancelled and concluded is kinda different
Cancelled: The show sucks and nobody watch it (it has a low rating), the producer decide to cancel it and there is no final ending for the show.
Concluded: The show is doing fine, the plot is coming to its peak and the producer decide to end the show, and there is a final ending.
You're right, didn't think about it like that, though I guess it is kind of cancelled but at the same time it is indeed finishing. I guess a glass-half full / half-empty kind of thing? I think I'll edit it though as it sounds more neutral.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #656
neatoman
Emperor

It's probably worth noting that if the show was doing well enough to unambigiously conclude rather than get cancelled, it's likely that the network would have just produced another season with a new crew. It seems to me we're in a rather strange situation though.

The show is not doing well enough for another season, but well enough to give the characters another chance immedietly after?
Hahahaha!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #657
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

It's simple. Viacom got tired of this incarnation and wants to try something else with a different approach. I'm expecting this new show to be garbage but I hope I'm wrong. TMNT can't afford to have too many misses.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #658
CyberCubed
Overlord

Season 5 was the amount of seasons Ciro wanted to make to begin with, so he got what he wanted. So I wouldn't say the show is canceled, it's just "ending" early. Granted if they did renew the show Ciro would have likely stayed on for a Season 6 and beyond.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #659
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, I feel that when a show is cancelled it usually means it doesn't get renewed for more than one season because it didn't do well. TMNT got five seasons and this is just the conclusion of the story. Ciro had stated he wanted the story told in five seasons and that is what he got so he decided to just leave it as is and that's fine with me.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #660
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
It's simple. Viacom got tired of this incarnation and wants to try something else with a different approach. I'm expecting this new show to be garbage but I hope I'm wrong. TMNT can't afford to have too many misses.
as much as i'm not a fan of this incarnation, I DO remember Mr.Producer saying he had a story to tell in at least FOUR seasons. I don't remember five being the magical number, but i could be wrong.

although,

If Viacom really wanted a sillier, goofier approach, maybe they agreed to give this show a five season run just to get things started, and tHAT is why this new show is launching so fast?
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters