The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
If I remember correctly, it doesn't even feature the Baxter Stockman episode.
All references to him are cut out except one. When Donatello tells he can use the gadgets Baxter Stockman left on the top-floor and re-built his van.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #22
AquaParade
Banned

I will take it a step further: The intro to the cartoon is the best thing the show ever did. I love that animation.

But I do prefer season 1 over the following seasons.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #23
mikey0
Foot Elite

The miniseries and the 1989 season are my cousin’s favorites.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I will take it a step further: The intro to the cartoon is the best thing the show ever did. I love that animation.
That show and Thundercats.

I do love Thundercats. But man. Every time, it's like you turn it on, and the intro is there and it's like "YEAH!", and then the actual show gets going and it's like "Awww."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #25
Galactus
Foot Elite

It's definitely the best season but given that there is only five episodes there is less chance to go wrong. When making my own personal Top 10 in my head I usually set a rule that I only allow one episode from this season otherwise it might take up half the list.

If however I'm being contrarian I'd point out that it irks me that the design of the turtles is inconsistent throughout the season. That might sound like an odd criticism to level at the season when most of the rest of the seasons of the show has animation wildly fluctuate from episode-to-episode but slightly irksome this season which is overall much more consistent and arguebly meant to be watched all in one sitting.

Also I find that some of the episodes have anticlimactic outcomes. I think Turtle Tracks would have better of it had climaxed with a rooftop battle with the Shredder ala the comics instead of the flooding of the building and I always thought the end of Shredder & Splintered when the Technodrome simply teleports to Dimension-X is kinda an underwhelming finish although it's saved somewhat by the visual of the Technodrome literally sucking itself in.

Of course these are minor criticisms in the grand scheme of things.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #26
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

It's one I've watched the most.

The whole thing together is almost like a film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #27
Wesley
Mad Scientist

It has the most rewatch value, though a lot of the flaws in the later seasons are there in 1 too. As Galactus said, helps that it’s just 5 episodes. I can watch it no matter what mood I’m in, unlike most of the series.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #28
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
It's one I've watched the most.

The whole thing together is almost like a film.
That would be because it was a mini-series. The first season aired in the fall of 1988.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
At the risk of arousing neatoman's ire, a lot of the flaws he points to either aren't as nonsensical as he thinks, given that more time has past than we are shown, or he hasn't paid as much attention as he seems to think he has- ie, although Shredder and Krang's initial meeting is never shown or fully referenced, there ARE clues that they have been partners for a while, such as the fact that Shredder makes it clear that while the resources to BUILD everything were Krang's, the designs, programming, and abilities of the Foot robots, and many of the weapons they use were always HIS. For that matter, when we first see him, Shredder is sitting in the command chair of the Technodrome- which was CLEARLY designed for a humanoid body! As are MOST of the controls, which leaves Krang operating them right out, unless he is in his bubble-walker, and even then, some of them would be problematic for him. So yes, he DID need "a pair of hands" to do much of the work.

Splinter never mentions FLYING to America, so where that idea even came from is beyond me. Being cast out of the Foot clan with no money (and likely afraid for his life from the possible revenge for the affront to their Grandmaster) it's obvious the only choice he had was stowing away on a ship. And he was in NYC long enough to both find and set up a permanent "home" in the sewers, which means he PROBABLY also had time to look for work or a normal home beforehand, and apparently never found either. Also, going low-profile to avoid being found by the Foot would likely preclude any of that, in the first place! He had been hanging out with rats looong before he found the turtles, so he very likely had PLENTY of time to keep up his skills.

And we don't know how long the turtles were with him after they were all mutated, but it must have been years, given how they all have their own possessions, which we see more of in later episodes, but April is in one of the bedroom alcoves when she wakes up in the lair- Mikey's, from the look of it. So clearly, some time has passed between the mutation and when the series begins.

I can go into more of those points, but these are enough for now.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #30
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I'm surprised the more I watch of the Red Sky episodes again that (season 8 at least) they don't rank higher than the pilot season.

I like the aesthetics of Red Sky far better as well as the tone, but the pilot season has nice little touches too... James Avery as Shredder's voice cannot be topped, so there's that. Same with the original April voice.

And Lord Dregg is NOT nearly as terrible as some make him out to be. Berzerko? Maybe. But Dregg is as good as Krang anyway, IMHO.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #31
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I'm surprised the more I watch of the Red Sky episodes again that (season 8 at least) they don't rank higher than the pilot season.

I like the aesthetics of Red Sky far better as well as the tone, but the pilot season has nice little touches too... James Avery as Shredder's voice cannot be topped, so there's that. Same with the original April voice.

And Lord Dregg is NOT nearly as terrible as some make him out to be. Berzerko? Maybe. But Dregg is as good as Krang anyway, IMHO.
The 1987 miniseries is classic. More people (including Shellheads) are familiar with it as it was shown in syndication more than the Red Sky episodes from the 1980s into the 1990s. The TMNT series 1 Topps trading cards feature scenes from the miniseries and it was the best animated TMNT set released by Topps. The Red Sky episodes only serve as a reminder of how popular Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were in the mid 1990s. Shellheads will always associate the Fred Wolf TMNT with Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. Shredder is the most definitive villain for the TMNT in any adaption of the early TMNT comics.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #32
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post

I have mixed feelings about Red Sky. Seasons 8 and 10 were good, but 9 was kinda bad. I actually liked Dregg, though I preferred him in 10, as he was very cunning in that season. Just think the pilot season is more fun to watch and is classic for reasons already mentioned by mikey0. The show was at its best when it didn’t take itself seriously.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #33
sdp
-

Why do people pretend season 1 of the 1987 TMNT cartoon is good? Yeah, it's "the best" season but that doesn't really say anything when the rest of the seasons are of such low quality.

It suffered from poor animation and quality control from the very start, the first and fifth episode are generally pretty well animated (though episode 1 has animation errors so not really) and there are few decent shots in the others but other than that, the season mostly looked like ****. The plot doesn't really make any sense either, it basically hinges on Shredder refusing to make Krang an android body but he keeps making weird contradicting tactical errors that even a child would notice (like stating in one episode that he can't allow the turtles to find out about the Technodrome while intentionally leading them to it in the very next), and Krang obviously not really needing Shredder's help in the first place because the Technodrome has an automated robotics factory and communication with his loyal troops.

It's essentially only "the best" season because there is some illusion of an actual plot and the individual episodes aren't paced like a slug race. That isn't really enough to make it good on it's own though, it's still a ****** plot with bad execution, the show sucked from day one.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:42 AM   #34
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

A neatoman impression is a very interesting way to make your second last post on the forum

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:37 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
A neatoman impression is a very interesting way to make your second last post on the forum
why, he's leaving?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:44 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

Great, now if the last three or four other stragglers would do likewise we can finally see the end of this place once and for all. Hurry the f*ck up already. Terri Schiavo wasn't on life support as long as this place, for f*ck's sake.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:52 PM   #37
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
why, he's leaving?
He said that he's leaving forever after 10,000 posts.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:39 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Somehow I doubt that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:51 PM   #39
Shark_Blade
Emperor

He should just leave, no need to announce cuz no one cares.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:47 AM   #40
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Okay....not a good reason to leave though.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote