The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
akamcfly
Thug

Donatello. with googles or without googles?

hi!

i would like to know your opinion on the googles that Donatello has been wearing lately in different iterations.

cliche or cool accessory?

--

i'm not a big fan of this kind of accessories, i prefer turtles looking simple and more like each other.

Last edited by akamcfly; 10-10-2020 at 08:23 PM.
akamcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Galactus
Foot Elite

Are we talking glasses to help him see or the goggles/viser? I can get behind the latter but I'd prefer it not to be omnipresent, he should just bust them out when necessary.

If it's glasses to help him see then that's a stern no from me. It's too obvious they want to make him a nerd. It doesn't even make sense in the PD movies that originated that since the mutagen was supposed to be some cure for all injury and disease so why did they not fix Don's sight?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

First off, all of them wear goggles and only one glasses, but I know what you mean.

To the point then, I'm fine with Don wearing goggles on his forehead like he's the protagonist of a Digimon anime... or Doctor Eggman. And I am a proponent of giving the turtles features that make them look different from eachother, which can hopefully replace the color coded masks one day. This is something I have said before, the Mirage designs does break the big no-no of character design by making four identical characters, but color coding the masks is a lazy and fairly childish solution.

However, I have also said there is such a thing as overdoing it. The figure and comic book cover you posted are acceptable versions of changing the design. The Bay design and the Rise design are too busy, they simply added way too much detail.

In short, the goggles themselves are not a problem. Just don't add glasses, a backpack, wrist devices and a shoulder camera in addition to them. Know when enough is enough.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
akamcfly
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Are we talking glasses to help him see or the goggles/viser? I can get behind the latter but I'd prefer it not to be omnipresent, he should just bust them out when necessary.

If it's glasses to help him see then that's a stern no from me. It's too obvious they want to make him a nerd. It doesn't even make sense in the PD movies that originated that since the mutagen was supposed to be some cure for all injury and disease so why did they not fix Don's sight?
i'm sorry, my mistake.
i mean the googles, not the regular glasses. and i mean him wearing these google the whole time, not just when it is necessary.
akamcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Absolutely no goggles, no glasses, none of that nonsense. Never, in anything.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

No, never, fvck right off with that "nerd" stereotype $hit.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
No, never, fvck right off with that "nerd" stereotype $hit.
Yeah, exactly. It's f***ing awful and such a knee-jerk/brain-dead thing to give him. Whoever came up with that idea should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Goggles only make sense to wear when in use... who the hell would wear them all the time? I don't mind when they make sense his lab or whatnot, but stop wearing them like a hat.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, exactly. It's f***ing awful and such a knee-jerk/brain-dead thing to give him. Whoever came up with that idea should be ashamed of themselves.
That would be the Platinum Dunes team.

A ringing endorsement for the idea, no?
Old 10-10-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

He's not a f*cking Ghostbuster.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:13 AM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Unless its Tai of Digimon Adventure it is unnecessary. Just because Michael Bay thought it was cool doesn't mean it is. When has Donatello ever been in need of goggles ever?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean, if it was something ironic. Like Leonardo as the surrogate leader needs glasses to see sometimes, sure. Maybe. But the technical guy? Like, what are the odds? Only the technical guy gets myopia? That's not the way that works. It'd be like tattoos all over Raphael and nobody else, or soemething.

It's like they're so angry they can't just put letters on belts that they're looking for other things. They don't need to. They never did. If no one verifiably was confused about who is who in Mirage (a B&W book) then at least look to the 1990 movie. Who tf was ever confused as to who was who in that? Like, ever?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-11-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

No no no no no. These new designs are so lazy and obvious. As a kid I could tell them apart from just one thing: the bandanna colour. Weapons if they are in black and white. Don can have a tool belt if he really wants one.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

I actually kinda think different-looking belts for different gear is a pretty good way to set them apart visually. You don't need to go the full-blown initials gimmick, but I never had a problem with the straps on Leo and Donnie, for example, because it made sense for those characters given their weapons and such. I could see like Donnie having more pouches, or each of them having different kids of pouches appropriate to the gear they rely on, stuff like that.

There are SO many ways to make each of them more unique without going whole hog into "This one's the Tough Guy so he's a big hulk, this one's a big nerd so he wears Rick Moranis glasses", etc. etc. That sh*t is stuuuuuuupid.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
garsh
Foot Soldier

Initially it was *the one thing* I almost could have, kind of (almost) liked about the Bayturts designs. Now that it keeps happening, though, I'm feeling the strong pull to side with the crotchety old curmudgeon antigogg social activism organization.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It kind of annoys me in general when they have them carrying around extra things that aren't and won't be used. Leave the goggles at home when you don't need them, Donatello. OotS boys, why the CB radios?? You never touched them once. Etc. Either use it or ditch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I mean, if it was something ironic. Like Leonardo as the surrogate leader needs glasses to see sometimes, sure. Maybe. But the technical guy? Like, what are the odds? Only the technical guy gets myopia? That's not the way that works.It'd be like tattoos all over Raphael and nobody else.

It's like they're so angry they can't just put letters on belts that they're looking for other things. They don't need to. They never did. If no one verifiable being confused about who is who in Mirage (a B&W book) then at least look to the 1990 movie. Who tf was ever confused as to who was who in that? Like, ever?
Yeah, only Mirage has ever been the hard one for me a times, anything else can go with subtle differences and most can figure it out, but these days they must think the viewers are morons and need to go an extra mile ten extra miles to be really super sure that you'll get it.

On the other hand...even if oldie Mirage can make it difficult occasionally, uncolored art today isn't impossible to guess who is who if the artist knows them well enough to convey it through simple (and not overdone to make it too easy) variation in body language, and I always enjoy guessing those.

Side note, would support Leo's need of reading glasses being a thing.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It kind of annoys me in general when they have them carrying around extra things that aren't and won't be used. Leave the goggles at home when you don't need them, Donatello. OotS boys, why the CB radios?? You never touched them once. Etc. Either use it or ditch it.
On a related note, for me it was always extra cool as a kid to the few times Rocksteady actually used the knife he was always carrying around on him. I don't recall ever seeing Bebop or Rocksteady every use the grenades they were always carrying around though.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
On a related note, for me it was always extra cool as a kid to the few times Rocksteady actually used the knife he was always carrying around on him. I don't recall ever seeing Bebop or Rocksteady every use the grenades they were always carrying around though.
Rocksteady did once or twice in 89

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #19
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The new crossover also has donnie with goggles so I think it's a thing going forward. Mikey gets headphones, raph gets "scars" in most incarnations now too so I think Leo is the only one that doesn't have his personality represented somehow with something, at least not that I've noticed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I just can't buy the notion that the turtles want to walk around looking like identical clones of one-another only with different headband colors. It makes sense that they would accessorize to individualize themselves just like people do. As long as it's not overdone (like in the Platinum Dunes films) I'm open to it. Occasional Goggles is okay with me, but he shouldn't have them on all the damn time or anything.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote