The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Who else doesn't really go to concerts/festivals?

As we all know, concerts and festivals are popular worldwide. Everyone pretty much likes to see their favourite bands live at some point in their lives.

Well, I've only been to a few concerts myself. The only well-known artists I've seen live were Pendulum and Iron Maiden. I was sort of dragged to Pendulum and mostly remember the fun I had with the group i went with. And Maiden was great because... well it's Iron Maiden. Anyway, this was in 2013 already and I haven't attended any concert ever since. As for festivals, never been to one. They don't seem like my thing.

I guess I'm satisfied just listening to my favourite artists on youtube and spotify. I don't feel compelled to see them live. Sadly, as a metalhead, people expect me to be a concert veteran. Metalheads measure their dicks that way. "How many bands have you seen live?" And when you tell them you don't go to concerts they take offence to it and even accuse you of not being "a real metalhead" but "a poser" instead.

Anyone else doesn't really go to concerts/festivals?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

For a long stretch, I didn't go to many concerts.

The first concert I attended I was 14 and saw Rob Zombie. He put one hell of a show. The second concert I attended was about 4 months later, Insane Clown Posse, who also put on quite the transcending experience. Unfortunately, the bar was raised so high by these two acts that the slew of bands that followed fell flat. So I stopped going to concerts unless it was Zombie or ICP (or TFK).

After my long term relationship fell apart though, I've just kind of been taking advantage of the single life and free time I have. So the last five years or so I've seen tons of concerts. Mostly seeing synth acts like Carpenter Brut, Perturbator, and John Carpenter himself.

I can completely understand the lack of desire to see bands live, though. It's loud, smelly (depending on crowd and venue) and some bands have a complete lack of stage presence.

Plus, tickets ain't cheap, yo.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Eh, I definitely understand the attitude of not liking the experience of going to a concert or festival all the time, but I definitely like going to them sometimes. It's all about proper preparation
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
For a long stretch, I didn't go to many concerts.

The first concert I attended I was 14 and saw Rob Zombie. He put one hell of a show. The second concert I attended was about 4 months later, Insane Clown Posse, who also put on quite the transcending experience. Unfortunately, the bar was raised so high by these two acts that the slew of bands that followed fell flat. So I stopped going to concerts unless it was Zombie or ICP (or TFK).

After my long term relationship fell apart though, I've just kind of been taking advantage of the single life and free time I have. So the last five years or so I've seen tons of concerts. Mostly seeing synth acts like Carpenter Brut, Perturbator, and John Carpenter himself.

I can completely understand the lack of desire to see bands live, though. It's loud, smelly (depending on crowd and venue) and some bands have a complete lack of stage presence.

Plus, tickets ain't cheap, yo.
Yeah I agree with your last two paragraphs. Plus, often it's artists I dunno anyone irl who's into them as well and going to a concert alone seems pointless.

And a lot of bands I like are now either too old, past their prime, retired, dead or no longer have their original line-ups. Fortunately I got to see Iron Maiden before it was too late.

I would have been cool to see Metallica back in 1989 or so, but no way am I interested in watching them these days,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Eh, I definitely understand the attitude of not liking the experience of going to a concert or festival all the time, but I definitely like going to them sometimes. It's all about proper preparation
Festivals always have a band or two in the line-up that I either dislike or don't care for at all. Or the bands I like are usually spread through different days. I don't feel like paying a ticket to see 2-3 bands I sorta like and 3 I don't like or care for. Plus, I don't like the idea of sleeping at a festival in a tent. I've heard lots of festival stories and I have to say I'm a bit "scared" of them lol
Old 03-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Those Symphony of the Goddesses concerts are the only ones I've been to.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Unless there is lots of free food, I have no interest.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Unless there is lots of free food, I have no interest.
Free food at concerts and festivals?! What kind of ones have you been to? If anything, they're designed to pinch your every last penny
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Free food at concerts and festivals?! What kind of ones have you been to? If anything, they're designed to pinch your every last penny
Thats the point, I'll probably never attend a single concert in my life because I'm extremely stingy with money

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

You're missing out on life if you don't go.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
You're missing out on life if you don't go.
Not everyone likes the same things/activities
Old 03-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ive only ever been to two. Iron Maiden- that same 2013 tour- and Trans-Siberian Orchestra(formerly Savatage)'s Christmas concert, ie the one where they do Christmas Sarajevo(Carol of the Bells). That one was awesome.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 AM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

I don't really, but it's not quite by choice. I used to go to a few shows a year, but the venue got new management who no longer book the sorta acts I'd go see (punk, metal, hip-hop). It's mostly open mic comedy and acoustic/indie stuff now. Boo.

Small, intimate shows are way better than big ass concerts/festivals though, imo. I could see why the latter might be off-putting for some- huge crowds, great distance, questionable sound, high prices, etc. Smaller local events where you're indoors, within a few mere feet of your favorite band, singing along with the like-minded people you're squished up against, are the way to go.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #13
newfan
Mad Scientist

I love music but concerts (more so music festivals) aren't really my thing. I remember thinking when Bon Jovi came to my city that I would have liked to see them though.

Last edited by newfan; 03-21-2018 at 01:02 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It really depends on the musical act. I'll go and see certain groups every time they come around, but I'm not the sort of person to go out and just catch a show.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題

I have been but don't actively go. Two in my lifetime, both in my 20s, and the second one was because I'd gone to school with the headliner.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Speaking of festivals. there is one happening this weekend in Miami. The Ultra Music Festival.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I went to tons of concerts/festivals during my teenage years, now? Not so much but I do seem to go to one or two every year.

They're always an awesome experience.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #18
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Prefer recorded to live, so I'm really not much for concerts & music festivals, it just doesn't sound the same and not as appealing as when they do it in the recording studio.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #19
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Looking forward to seeing Carpenter Brut this week. Last time was awesome.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #20
DWC
Banned

I enjoy music but I've never been to a concert in my life. They just don't interest me and I am happy to simply listen to music at home and in the street on music players.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote