The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself "old"?
Yes I do. 3 60.00%
No I don't. 2 40.00%
No, I don't, and this is why (explain). 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2024, 11:12 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Do you consider yourself "old"?

And if so, why?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM   #2
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

In a way, yes, but not in the generic definition of "old".

I consider myself older, and that has much to do with my disability. Being diagnosed at age 24 with a muscle weakness that substantially alters your mobility, I certainly FEEL old.

Mentally and spiritually, I'm still the same person I was when I turned 18, just more cynical. But that naturally comes with age and experiences.

I'll see how I feel in 5 more years and get back to this thread then. Haha.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM   #3
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Mentally, no. Physically, oh **** yeah, the random pains, aches, arthritis in places, eyes slowly deteriorating... the usual by the time you hit 50.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm not getting any younger but why bothering? After you leave your 20s it's up to you to care about your mental and pyshical health: hit the gym, go outside for a run, don't eat junk, keep your brain active with readings and interests, go back to university. To dwell on your age isn't of any help.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Let's put it this way, most of us are as old now as we were when we considered our parents "old" when we were in our teens or early 20's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

I always consider myself older than I used to be, I dare you to tell me that's wrong.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Sadly yeah. Like I know I'm not ancient, but I get tired easier than the good old days, I can't walk for miles like I used to in my 20's, and sleep sometimes sounds like a much better idea than any other activity. I've been working the treadmill recently to get back into walking shape though.

I'm also at the age where not only do I not get modern day 'kid' slang, but it's also starting to sound stupid to me. There used to be a point where I would try to catch up on modern day trends and slang, but at this point I'm not only out of touch with the current Tik Tok generation, I don't want to be. Tik Tok seems to be just silly dances and people spouting crazy political views, either because they actually believe them or because they want the extra attention they'll get because 'omg he/eshe/it said WHAT???' and whatnot. Just not for me.

And of course, I've reached the point that most of us here have where everything we like is considered ancient stuff even though the 90's weren't terribly that far back. We live in a world where the youth don't know what VCRs, rotary phones and answer machines are, while we do. Most of the music we like is now on the 'oldie's stations'. I'm even out of touch in regards with who today's top singers are. I mostly know Billie Eilish cause the drama and stuff she does than any of her actual songs, lmao. Like even Lady Gaga is on her way to becoming an 'oldie's' singer by now. Poker Face feels like a lifetime ago. Like every time I heard something related to Beyonce or anyone I do know, I ask myself 'they're still making music???'

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nah, not yet, so far its just the number that appears older. Physically, no i don't feel 25 anymore, but on the inside, I have a hard time feeling "my age" to be honest... what is 45 supposed to feel like? In looks, holding onto it pretty well overall. Sister too (who will finally join me in the 40s this year -- and I'm enjoying that lol), so guess it's genetic.

Honestly, the only give away is the hair color betraying me a bit, but that actually started young thanks to a genetic glitch on dad's side. Sister has it too, but unlike me she resorts to dying it... so the 20-somthings in her classes (to finally get her degree) thought she was their age. Lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; Yesterday at 09:11 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #9
Snowglare
Random Punk

Old enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm also at the age where not only do I not get modern day 'kid' slang, but it's also starting to sound stupid to me. There used to be a point where I would try to catch up on modern day trends and slang, but at this point I'm not only out of touch with the current Tik Tok generation, I don't want to be. Tik Tok seems to be just silly dances and people spouting crazy political views, either because they actually believe them or because they want the extra attention they'll get because 'omg he/eshe/it said WHAT???' and whatnot. Just not for me.
I never was cool, hip or with it, so I thought this would happen to me sooner. Strange as new slang always sounds, I used to find it adoptable enough after a while. Only in recent years has all this verbiage popped up that sounds unbelievably stupid to me. Much of it is pure ignorance, like people saying "literally" when they mean "figuratively," or using it purely for emphasis like it means "really very." I can't abide it.

Quote:
And of course, I've reached the point that most of us here have where everything we like is considered ancient stuff even though the 90's weren't terribly that far back. We live in a world where the youth don't know what VCRs, rotary phones and answer machines are, while we do.
As bad as this feels, it's understandable enough. In the 80's, the 70's seemed to me ancient history, totally irrelevant. Even now, I care little about it aside from movies and music. I mean, I love history, but I tend to lump it together somewhat. Phonograms and Lisztomania and blood sacrifices and cave paintings all feel about as foreign as disco.
Snowglare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I'm also at the age where not only do I not get modern day 'kid' slang, but it's also starting to sound stupid to me. There used to be a point where I would try to catch up on modern day trends and slang, but at this point I'm not only out of touch with the current Tik Tok generation, I don't want to be'
When I was a teen the black/hispanic kids would always say, "Oh snap!" all the time. Like if someone did something surprising, or someone caught a basketball being thrown at them from afar, or someone did something cool, everyone would say, "Oh snap."

I don't think the young teens of today say, "Oh snap" anymore, and it makes me sad. The fact that if you said, "Oh snap" to them they would have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Why don't they say oh snap anymore....
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
When I was a teen the black/hispanic kids would always say, "Oh snap!" all the time. Like if someone did something surprising, or someone caught a basketball being thrown at them from afar, or someone did something cool, everyone would say, "Oh snap."

I don't think the young teens of today say, "Oh snap" anymore, and it makes me sad. The fact that if you said, "Oh snap" to them they would have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Why don't they say oh snap anymore....
oh Cybercubed, you are so cringe my dude.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Because the kids now have their own (even) lame(r) slang...

And MM:Tales is prob gonna be as full of it as a long haired dog is full of burs after a day of running free in unmowed fields. I just hope I don't cringe enough to brake any teeth.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote