The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #461
Prowler
Emperor

Guys, is Sonic CD worth playing? I see a lot of polarising opinions about it online. I grew up hearing wonders about this game and don't want to end up severely disappointed.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #462
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Wow, I didn't even know this was still being worked on. This is exactly what Sonic Mania should have looked like. I hope Sega takes notice.

My sister had Sonic Advance 2 and I got to spend quite a lot of time with it. I got Advance 3 later for my birthday too. I thought they were both pretty good. Especially the music in some of those stages.
They had a game that had graphics like that in Sonic 4, everyone hated it.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #463
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Guys, is Sonic CD worth playing? I see a lot of polarising opinions about it online. I grew up hearing wonders about this game and don't want to end up severely disappointed.
Absolutely. It is a very different game style from Sonic 2 and 3, and I don't think it's necessarily the best 2D Sonic game, but it is certainly great for what it is. The widescreen remaster of it currently for sale on Playstation, Xbox, and Steam is probably the best version of it.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #464
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Absolutely. It is a very different game style from Sonic 2 and 3, and I don't think it's necessarily the best 2D Sonic game, but it is certainly great for what it is. The widescreen remaster of it currently for sale on Playstation, Xbox, and Steam is probably the best version of it.
Oh it's on Steam? Nice.

I've heard the steam versions of other Genesis Sonic games are lousy, though.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #465
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Oh it's on Steam? Nice.

I've heard the steam versions of other Genesis Sonic games are lousy, though.
The difference is that Sega listed the old ROMS (probably downloaded from somewhere online) for their Genesis games. Although the new HUB they added last year can be neat because it encourages and blesses ROM hacks. But the Sonic CD is built by Christian Whitehead. He did widescreen remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 for the mobile market, but Sega hasn't released those on consoles or Steam.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #466
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The difference is that Sega listed the old ROMS (probably downloaded from somewhere online) for their Genesis games. Although the new HUB they added last year can be neat because it encourages and blesses ROM hacks. But the Sonic CD is built by Christian Whitehead. He did widescreen remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 for the mobile market, but Sega hasn't released those on consoles or Steam.
I've played a bit of the Sonic 1 mobile game just for the sake of it. It's fine, but I don't like playing Sonic on mobile much.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #467
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Wow, I didn't even know this was still being worked on.
It wasn't. This revival is probably a recent one. The Sonic 2 HD project fell apart entirely years ago. I used to keep tabs on the fangaming scene and that project was a damn mess.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #468
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I found Sonic CD boring at best and infuriating at worst.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #469
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'd like to expand on this.

Sonic CD is basically the Majora's Mask of the classic series. If you enjoy exploring in the classic series, looking for shields and using Sonic's unique momentum based physics to reach new areas, then you should enjoy Sonic CD. However, if you just want to run straight to the goal and ignore everything else then you might still like the game...but you will be incredibly underwhelmed. You've probably heard it before, but Classic Sonic game play can be summarized into three words: Speed, Platforming and exploration. These are all the necessary elements to a great Classic Sonic game and Sonic CD more then any other Sonic game, except maybe Tails Adventure, focuses on the exploration.

The reason why Sonic CD is regarded so highly among fans, besides the incredible art style and music, is the time travel aspect. Exploring the Zones and looking for Past sign posts so you can travel back in time to prevent Eggman from taking over in the future can be challenging, but very fun and rewarding. Learning all the level differences between the Past, Present, Bad Future and Good Future creates a sense of wonder and inspires you to explore even more. A great example is the Eggman statue being built in the Present of Stardust Speedway Zone 2. If you don't bother stoping Eggman in the past and travel to the future then his monstrous statue is complete and he has fully taken control of the Zone. However, if you destroy his Robot Generator in the Past or collected all the Time Stones in the Special Stages Eggman's statue is gone and instead a beautiful castle is built in it's place. You might think that sounds awesome, or you might not care.

Either way, I still recommend giving Sonic CD a look just because of how different and unique it is. On Steam it only costs $4.99. I don't know how much that costs in your currency, but I don't think it will cost that much more and it's practically pocket change. You may not like the game at first, but if you give it enough time I think you might just be able to appreciate and enjoy Sonic CD for the unique entry it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
It wasn't. This revival is probably a recent one. The Sonic 2 HD project fell apart entirely years ago. I used to keep tabs on the fangaming scene and that project was a damn mess.
You can read all about the project's history at Sonic Retro, but yeah the game was cancelled in 2012 but started production again in 2014. That means Chemical Plant Zone's graphics are three years in the making.
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_HD
Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #470
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I'd like to expand on this.

Sonic CD is basically the Majora's Mask of the classic series. If you enjoy exploring in the classic series, looking for shields and using Sonic's unique momentum based physics to reach new areas, then you should enjoy Sonic CD. However, if you just want to run straight to the goal and ignore everything else then you might still like the game...but you will be incredibly underwhelmed. You've probably heard it before, but Classic Sonic game play can be summarized into three words: Speed, Platforming and exploration. These are all the necessary elements to a great Classic Sonic game and Sonic CD more then any other Sonic game, except maybe Tails Adventure, focuses on the exploration.

The reason why Sonic CD is regarded so highly among fans, besides the incredible art style and music, is the time travel aspect. Exploring the Zones and looking for Past sign posts so you can travel back in time to prevent Eggman from taking over in the future can be challenging, but very fun and rewarding. Learning all the level differences between the Past, Present, Bad Future and Good Future creates a sense of wonder and inspires you to explore even more. A great example is the Eggman statue being built in the Present of Stardust Speedway Zone 2. If you don't bother stoping Eggman in the past and travel to the future then his monstrous statue is complete and he has fully taken control of the Zone. However, if you destroy his Robot Generator in the Past or collected all the Time Stones in the Special Stages Eggman's statue is gone and instead a beautiful castle is built in it's place. You might think that sounds awesome, or you might not care.

Either way, I still recommend giving Sonic CD a look just because of how different and unique it is. On Steam it only costs $4.99. I don't know how much that costs in your currency, but I don't think it will cost that much more and it's practically pocket change. You may not like the game at first, but if you give it enough time I think you might just be able to appreciate and enjoy Sonic CD for the unique entry it is.

You can read all about the project's history at Sonic Retro, but yeah the game was cancelled in 2012 but started production again in 2014. That means Chemical Plant Zone's graphics are three years in the making.
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_HD
Thanks for the explanation, TMNT_Guy.

And, for the record, 4.99 US dollars is about 4.15 Euro.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 AM   #471
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
They had a game that had graphics like that in Sonic 4, everyone hated it.
They're 2 vastly different art styles and games. I don't see how anyone would hate this.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #472
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Wow, recruit them like Christian Whitehead, Sega!

Quote:
I always skip CD, it's boring tbh.. the Past/Future seems pointless too.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #473
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I love Sonic CD to pieces. It's been neck and neck with S3&K ever since I played it for the first time. Which I prefer depends on a given day. It's just everything, from the visuals to the music, which is the best in a series where the music itself is always among the best in gaming. The wide variety, with different tracks and motifs for every single timeline, including different versions for the two futures, leaves you with a robust, lengthy musical experience. That's before you account for there being TWO different soundtracks between Japan and the US, with both being fantastic. The levels are huge with plenty to explore, the colors are bright, the gimmicks are fun and even the water stage, the type everyone hates, is pretty damn good. Hell, the only bleh stage of the lot is Wacky Workbench.

If there's one thing really worth mentioning, it's a part of the game that is honestly a little bit under-rated. Namely, the alternate futures. Games are often fairly simple affairs; you're out to save the world and that's what you do. But rarely, whether it's back then or now, do you see an actual effect caused by your actions. In CD, it's blatant. If you go back to the past, destroy the roboticizers, then go to the future, it has changed. It goes from rotted, bleak and dystopic to bright, happy and cheerful. You have directly affected the future of the world in a way you can see with your own eyes. Even if you don't bother to go to the future in the first two acts, but do destroy the roboticizers in the past, you are going to see it, because the third act always takes place in the future.

I imagine that's a small detail to some people, but it stands out to me. You just don't see it often. Usually, once an adventure is over, that's pretty much it. You may get some post-game stuff showing how the characters have done, but it's not super often you get a glimpse of how your actions have positively affected society or nature or the state of the world. That's with RPG's, where you typically have plenty of time to show something like that. Sonic CD does that in a simple platformer with a simple story.

STRAP ON THE RUNNING SHOES, RESCUE THE PINK HEDGEHOG, RETRIEVE THE PRECIOUS GEMS, CREATE A BRIGHT FUTURE, DEFEAT THE FAT GUY, SAVE THE WORLD.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #474
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Shadow the Hedgehog is confirmed to be DLC as a playable character.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/09/...ic-forces-dlc/
They're desperate ...

They're really desperate...

Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #475
Prowler
Emperor

So many homing attacks in that video.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #476
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
So many homing attacks in that video.
"It looks like a homing shot!"
Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #477
Shark_Blade
Emperor

So Sonic Mania's denuvo/DRM is still not removed from the Steam version... It's almost a month now.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #478
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
So Sonic Mania's denuvo/DRM is still not removed from the Steam version... It's almost a month now.
Not only that, but Denuvo's DRM has been confirmed for Sonic Forces. If anyone complains about it Sega's just going to redirect them to this page.

At least the DRM has done noting to stop all the great mods coming out...but absolutely stinks for people that are experiencing performance issues from it. I'm no business man, but it seems to me that the cost of licensing Denuvo, the bad publicity that will affect future products, and the number of potential customers that will either ignore the product or now pirate it out of spite seem far more harmful then trying to stop pirates. Which Denuvo didn't even do because the game has been pirated and can be downloaded with the DRM removed.

How crazy is it that the Bubsy game coming out is getting better treatment? DRM free and and a real physical release for Playstation 4. No download key, just a disk.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #479
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Izuka says there are no plans for an Adventure 3.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/9/19/163...l-never-happen

I don't necessarily need an Adventure 3 but I'd be more than content with a return to that gameplay style.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #480
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Not only that, but Denuvo's DRM has been confirmed for Sonic Forces. If anyone complains about it Sega's just going to redirect them to this page.

At least the DRM has done noting to stop all the great mods coming out...but absolutely stinks for people that are experiencing performance issues from it. I'm no business man, but it seems to me that the cost of licensing Denuvo, the bad publicity that will affect future products, and the number of potential customers that will either ignore the product or now pirate it out of spite seem far more harmful then trying to stop pirates. Which Denuvo didn't even do because the game has been pirated and can be downloaded with the DRM removed.

How crazy is it that the Bubsy game coming out is getting better treatment? DRM free and and a real physical release for Playstation 4. No download key, just a disk.
Yeah I much prefer physical release too. But tbh the price is waay, waaayy cheaper than standard new games so that's a plus. Still, I prefer to have the options.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic