The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #1221
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Now Among Top Ten Highest Grossing Movies Of All Time Worldwide
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/20...di-box-office/
Cue Vegita-san trying to downplay this in some fashion saying Disney didn't make much money.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #1222
Vegita-San
Emperor

just cause it makes money doesn't make it good.

just means lots of bored people out there
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #1223
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It may interest some in this thread to know that an MRA group has made a Supercut of this movie which removes all the female characters.

So should they get an itch to rewatch it, they can shave 45 minutes off the run time with that version.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #1224
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Just watch them complain about being unable to get dates with a straight face. I'm not surprised by how thin-skinned they are, nor am I surprised they'd do that, but still...wow.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-16-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #1225
newfan
Mad Scientist

Well, even those who didn't like it didn't know that until they raced out to see it, I suppose the success of this will be determined by how fast people race out to see the next one ... is it 2 years again? Still, besides the people who really hated this one and have washed their hands of it I can still see many (who weren't too keen maybe) going to see the next even out of curiosity to see where they go with the story.

Edit: wait, just looking at the post above (got in before mine), I thought Plaston's post was a joke?

Last edited by newfan; 01-16-2018 at 09:31 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #1226
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It may interest some in this thread to know that an MRA group has made a Supercut of this movie which removes all the female characters.

So should they get an itch to rewatch it, they can shave 45 minutes off the run time with that version.
You're kidding...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #1227
plastroncafe

Oh no, that's the thing that's been done.
I like to think of myself as funny and clever on occasion, but even I'm not so good as to be able to write something that hysterically funny.

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/953106797878960128

https://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainm...an-edit-women/

Full disclosure, this could be satire.
But if it is, it rings really highly on the Poe Scale.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #1228
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I do think Plastron isn't joking, people have taken it to themselves to make it political as to why they might not like the new Star Wars. Blaming racism in China is dumb, Rogue One didn't perform well either, the Chinese market is weird and Hollywood doesn't understand it yet. Are they racists? Sure, but what nation doesn't bully the minorities of said nation? You can find that everywhere, no reason to demonize the culture.

I didn't like the movie. I didn't like TFA, I was clearly alone with that sentiment when the movie was released and it took over a year for people to start agreeing with me. This movie people are fairly evenly split 50/50 and yet the ones who like it keep trying to come up with excuses as to why "most people like it" and it's only a "minority" that dislike it. Why? If you like it cool but why lie to yourself and lie to others to make them think that "everyone" loves it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #1229
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I do think Plastron isn't joking, people have taken it to themselves to make it political as to why they might not like the new Star Wars.
because the very same people making these movies ARE making it political themselves.

add to that all the feminist click bait articles..

first ghostbusters, then Supergirl, now star wars, nothing is safe.

that being said, the very NOTION of a Mens Rights Activist organization is stupid as hell. I prefer a more No'Maam approach. protecting guys rights to be guys. ;o)...

Having so many women in it isn't the problem. it's how those women and men around them are WRITTEN that is the problem. I'd love to see Timothy Zahn re write these movies with totally different scenarios, but using the exact same characters, and I Bet you the movie would be awesome.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #1230
plastroncafe

I can't help but wonder how little one is paying attention to the media they're ingesting to not see the liberal political leanings inherent in the plot of the original trilogy.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #1231
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
because the very same people making these movies ARE making it political themselves.
You literally do the exact same thing Plastron does but on the opposite side of the political spectrum, look at yourself. Most of your posts only gives the other side ammunition.

Quote:
I can't help but wonder how little one is paying attention to the media they're ingesting to not see the liberal political leanings inherent in the plot of the original trilogy.
I quite enjoy the political leanings in the OT and PT, hell I didn't even notice the feminism inserted into TFA until pointed out, that wasn't my problem with the movie, but I already posted my thoughts on the movie. The politicizing of Star War I refer to is this:

Let’s Face It, You Hate The Last Jedi Because You Hate Women

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Offers the Harsh Condemnation of Mansplaining We Need in 2017

Alt-Right Group Takes Credit for ‘The Last Jedi’ Backlash, Bashes ‘Star Wars’ For Including More Women
[Later Proven False] [apologists double down on it] [Proven False Again]

We Need to Talk About the Sexist Backlash Against Rey (Again), and Why She’s Awesome
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #1232
plastroncafe

I see that as a wholly different argument than the one vagita is trying to make.

Meta criticism has always existed, and will always exist. The internet is the fabulous place where any argument can be made, which doesn't necessarily mean that every argument should be made, or that every argument is equal to every other.

The internet just tricks some people into believing that all opinions are created equal.

That said, our popular culture does not exist in a vacuum. It says things about us in the stories that it tells. And I believe there is some worth to parsing out the threads of those stories to uncover more truths about the world we live in.

But then, I'm an anthropologist.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #1233
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
You literally do the exact same thing Plastron does but on the opposite side of the political spectrum, look at yourself. Most of your posts only gives the other side ammunition.
without getting further into that, Now you're just being insulting

the very fact that you didn't even notice what the movie was trying to do until it was pointed out shows we 'haters' aren't that far off the track on things..
the fact that some people don't like that point proven is their problem IMHO.

those very same articles you linked are ALL a part of the larger problem. 'nu fans' or click baiters, trying to bring their world into the world of nerds and ruining it for everyone else. when this movie is done, they'll move on to the next one to try and bring their level of hate into that fandom.

the women in the movie arn't the problem. it's how those women and men around them are written that is the problem.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #1234
plastroncafe

The world ain't your safe space, my dude.
And neither is fandom.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1235
CyberCubed
Overlord

Go away, Vegita-san. It's hard to believe this guy is 40 years old too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #1236
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You're kidding...
It's worse than Plastron is making it sound. It doesn't shave forty five minutes off, the entire cut is forty five minutes. In order to make it a "man friendly movie", they cut anything that made women look good or had them in a position where they accomplished things, meaning they had to cut an hour and a half of the movie. It sounds like incoherent nonsense where they had to edit things so Poe seems to be the one doing the Holdo maneuver. They had to axe so much I don't get why they even bothered, except to prove some nebulous point.

Quote:
Blaming racism in China is dumb, Rogue One didn't perform well either, the Chinese market is weird and Hollywood doesn't understand it yet. Are they racists? Sure, but what nation doesn't bully the minorities of said nation? You can find that everywhere, no reason to demonize the culture.
... No one was demonizing them? It was more someone simply brought up the general xenophobia of the region, which is absolutely a thing, and how that might relate. Which there's a good chance it doesn't, if only because of occams razor. The simplest explanation with all the evidence is that China simply doesn't care about Star Wars.

Quote:
I prefer a more No'Maam approach. protecting guys rights to be guys. ;o)...

I'd love to see Timothy Zahn re write these movies with totally different scenarios, but using the exact same characters, and I Bet you the movie would be awesome.
I enjoy Married... With Children as much as anyone, but you do realize that show was satire, right? It made jokes out of that type of manly man and general behavior and had Al and Bud both as total buffoons. No Ma'am itself was shown as a pathetic joke. You end up liking Al anyway mainly because Ed O'Neill is pretty great and the show was funny.

As for Zahn, always possible. They actually have him writing new books now, I believe. But he'd probably be more story treatment and such. Writing a novel and writing a script/film are different skillsets.

Quote:
The prequels, too. Hell, all three films are essentially about the rise of authoritarianism and a fascist government. With bombast, of course - it's still a space opera with laser swords, space dogfights and mystic powers - but some of it's really on the nose. Hell, at the time, some outlets in the news were flipping out about them because they were perceived as pointed shots at the then-ongoing Bush administration and the direction of the country at the time.

I feel like Lucas never talked in any real depth about the series, but his intentions were pretty clear with the "politics" of his six.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #1237
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:

Did Vegita-San help make this since he has a Impotent slap fight on women?

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 01-16-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #1238
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I enjoy Married... With Children as much as anyone, but you do realize that show was satire, right? It made jokes out of that type of manly man and general behavior and had Al and Bud both as total buffoons. No Ma'am itself was shown as a pathetic joke. You end up liking Al anyway mainly because Ed O'Neill is pretty great and the show was funny.

As for Zahn, always possible. They actually have him writing new books now, I believe. But he'd probably be more story treatment and such. Writing a novel and writing a script/film are different skillsets.
hence the bad attempt at a joke I wasn't sure many would get.

Has zahn ever done a movie novelization before? I would think the two wouldn't be that different.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #1239
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
hence the bad attempt at a joke I wasn't sure many would get.
My bad. I didn't realize it was meant to be a joke. This is not sarcasm.

Quote:
Has zahn ever done a movie novelization before? I would think the two wouldn't be that different.
Oh, you want a movie novelization where he has free reign to change things around. I misunderstood. That's different. As far as I know, he hasn't, but that falls more into his expertise and he could probably do it.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #1240
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Did Vegita-San help make this since he has a war on women?
cue off the ignore list for a second, and there is the point many seem to miss.just to try and prove THEIR point.

If you pay attention to my posts.. I don't have a problem with women in movies. I have a problem with how women and the men around them are PORTRAYED in certain movies. and the press that surrounds those movies. and how the people who write these movies react to things. and all the blasted click bait articles trying to anger people about these movies.

I'll re explain this 10 pages down for those who choose to ignore this.

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw