The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
MisterTurtle2019
New Recruit

Mandela Effect when watching the 1987 cartoon

You guys ever had false memories of things in the 1987 series? Did you remember things differently as a kid? Was there a lost episode you thought existed?

I once thought "Night of the Rogues" was a 2-parter. I could have sworn when Chrome Dome and the other villains tied the turtles up, a 'To Be Continued' message popped up. I was wrong. It's amazing they crammed it all in a 22 minute episode.
MisterTurtle2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Always had weird memories of a mutated car creature, but that was never in the original cartoon. Instead it's from the UK TMNT Adventures comics based on the cartoon. I don't even know how I saw those as they didn't come out in the U.S>
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTurtle2019 View Post
I once thought "Night of the Rogues" was a 2-parter. I could have sworn when Chrome Dome and the other villains tied the turtles up, a 'To Be Continued' message popped up. I was wrong. It's amazing they crammed it all in a 22 minute episode.
Maybe because Chromedome is also in Planet of the Turtleoids, which also aired as a double episode.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

I get weirded out on my DVD set when I expect an episode should start with the redux intro (from the Saturday morning airtime period) starts with the OG intro.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
ABrown
Banned

"Mandela effect"???
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Overlord

False memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
"Mandela effect"???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...mples/?slide=1
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Even though I discovered the Original Cartoon very late (2013), I still have a notable Mandela Effect with it.

In the first episodes of the series I watched (Splinter Vanishes), there was a scene of Raphael in a party hat singing to a bunch of children.

A year or two later, I had all but forgotten about the episode (this was before I watched the whole series), and thought it was just a memory.

I could've sworn Raphael was singing to those kids in a party hat in one of the costume party themed episodes (April's Fool, Raphael meets his Match), but that scene was nowhere to be found in so many season 3/4 episodes for so many years that I just brushed it aside as my imagination until I finally watched 'Splinter Vanishes' again.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

One of my memories of “Shredder Triumphant” for years after watching it for the first time when I was 7 or 8 was Shredder jumping out of the Technodrome just before it went through a portal back to Dimension X. I wondered why he would do that until I saw the episode again a few years later in 1998 and realized I had remembered things differently.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

That it was any good.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That it was any good.
Tbh that happens to tons of former TMNT fans. I think a ton of self-proclaimed TMNT fans barely remember the show and think it was full of action and ninja fights like the video games.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
MisterTurtle2019
New Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Even though I discovered the Original Cartoon very late (2013), I still have a notable Mandela Effect with it.

In the first episodes of the series I watched (Splinter Vanishes), there was a scene of Raphael in a party hat singing to a bunch of children.

A year or two later, I had all but forgotten about the episode (this was before I watched the whole series), and thought it was just a memory.

I could've sworn Raphael was singing to those kids in a party hat in one of the costume party themed episodes (April's Fool, Raphael meets his Match), but that scene was nowhere to be found in so many season 3/4 episodes for so many years that I just brushed it aside as my imagination until I finally watched 'Splinter Vanishes' again.
Maybe you had gotten the idea from these party figures.
I think there was a time I thought Bebop had buck teeth in the old show because of his 1989 vintage figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d05017857c4465076bf0fce586e8973a.jpg (65.6 KB, 2 views)
MisterTurtle2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Tbh that happens to tons of former TMNT fans. I think a ton of self-proclaimed TMNT fans barely remember the show and think it was full of action and ninja fights like the video games.
I've rewatched it in 2010-2011. Still liked it.
But liked 2k3 series more.

Also, my "mandela" effect was about first season, which I've watched previously as "Epic begins".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That it was any good.
LOL!
I had memories of the O.G. G1 Transformers cartoon. I remember it being so dramatic - especially the Rodimus years. Years later I tried to watch them and couldn't make it through... I don't think any of the episodes I tried to watch.

FW TMNT is a little different though because it embraces it's ridiculous nature. I think the ridiculousness of the whole thing makes the show a little more timeless - helps carry it as opposed to something like O.G. G.I. Joe or Transformers. I can't watch too many F.W. TMNT in sitting nowadays, but one or two and then occasionally for background noise. The Real Ghostbusters is much the same way for me.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
LOL!
I had memories of the O.G. G1 Transformers cartoon. I remember it being so dramatic - especially the Rodimus years. Years later I tried to watch them and couldn't make it through... I don't think any of the episodes I tried to watch.

FW TMNT is a little different though because it embraces it's ridiculous nature. I think the ridiculousness of the whole thing makes the show a little more timeless - helps carry it as opposed to something like O.G. G.I. Joe or Transformers. I can't watch too many F.W. TMNT in sitting nowadays, but one or two and then occasionally for background noise. The Real Ghostbusters is much the same way for me.
Same here.
I've tried to watch OG Transformers decade ago, after watching Beast Wars, but couldn't make it past first few episodes. It was so...cheesy, but not in a self-aware way.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTurtle2019 View Post
Maybe you had gotten the idea from these party figures.
I think there was a time I thought Bebop had buck teeth in the old show because of his 1989 vintage figure.
It wasn't any of those since I've never cared about any tmnt toys at all.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
Galactus
Foot Elite

It was my first proper re-watch in the 2000s that I noticed that Splinter didn't refer to the turtles as his sons or that the turtles didn't refer to each other as brothers or call each other by their nicknames like Raph or Leo etc. I think in my mind I conflated the movies and Adventure comics with the show.

People around my age that I've spoken to about the old show if they remember it beyond a vague 'oh I loved that show, my favourite was Ralph and I liked that thing with the eyeball' usually remember tonally being either completely like the first five episodes or completely like the third season. I also encounter a lot of people who think they leaped from rooftops since they did it in intro sequence.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
It was my first proper re-watch in the 2000s that I noticed that Splinter didn't refer to the turtles as his sons or that the turtles didn't refer to each other as brothers or call each other by their nicknames like Raph or Leo etc. I think in my mind I conflated the movies and Adventure comics with the show..
I guess the Fred Wolf turtles preferred to keep it professional
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

For some reason I remembered Mike using his nunchucks again in Season 7. Guess I mixed that up with the European vacation eps which were grouped with that season
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
For some reason I remembered Mike using his nunchucks again in Season 7. Guess I mixed that up with the European vacation eps which were grouped with that season
It could also be because violence was making a comeback in season 7 again, after most of it was phased out during season 3.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:54 AM   #20
Overlord

Michelangelo in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Michelangelo never used his nunchuks during Vacation in Europe. You just see them in his belt, while he fights with his grappling hook.