The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Been slowly rewatching it and yeah, no noogies and don't recall that ever being a thing even once. As for being scared and cowards, the only thing I can recall is ONE episode where Shredder/Krang had made a device that MADE everyone act that way, TMNT and humans alike, so it doesn't even count. (And even then, they forced themselves out there and faced it and saved the day yet again.)

edit: Besides... rub your knuckles on bare skin, it's like nothing. You kind of have to have hair for a noogie to matter. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #22
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Been slowly rewatching it and yeah, no noogies and don't recall that ever being a thing even once. As for being scared and cowards, the only thing I can recall is ONE episode where Shredder/Krang had made a device that MADE everyone act that way, TMNT and humans alike, so it doesn't even count. (And even then, they forced themselves out there and faced it and saved the day yet again.)

edit: Besides... rub your knuckles on bare skin, it's like nothing. You kind of have to have hair for a noogie to matter. lol
Yeah, I think that was in season 3??? It was some type of ray gun that did it. But still the Turtles did over come there fear to take down Shredder. If there was one cross over TMNT done right, its the 2012 Turtles and the 80's Turtles. I said it.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Yeah, I think that was in season 3??? It was some type of ray gun that did it. But still the Turtles did over come there fear to take down Shredder. If there was one cross over TMNT done right, its the 2012 Turtles and the 80's Turtles. I said it.
There were two separate occasions actually. In Bebop and Rocksteady Conquer The Universe, the pair steal a ray then turn it on Shredder and Krang, the Turtles and numerous other residents; leaving Zach and Splinter to save everyone. It all leads to an awesome climax involving saving Splinter from a train and April from inside a ramping Gorgonzola robot.

The other is The Turtles and The Hare with the same idea; only it doesn't work on the Turtles; so they have to go to the Fairy Tale Dimension to get a rare crystal to counteract the ray's effects. Enter Hokum Hare. Enough said.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #24
pferreira
Foot Elite

Oh boy. Well from what I have been able to watch it's very nicely animated but yeah the FW series come across terrible. It's not a secret Peter Laird hates the 80s series so this was kind of his revenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The "it's disrespectful" argument annoys me to no end, I really wish the people who make it would learn to drop the nostalgia goggles and accept there's merit in mocking the FW turtles, or at least understand why a "respectful" version wouldn't really work.
Again this 'nostalgia googles' is a poor excuse. The only reason a respectful version of the FW series wouldn't work is that they needed to show how different those TMNT were to the 2003 ones. That's it! The problem is of course the writer and everybody else went way OTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I seriously hope the "FW TMNT meets the most recent cartoon version!" idea is never done ever again and the cartoons become solely focused on moving forward.
I agree. I just want FW DVD movies or a TV series continuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
What we got in the end was a universe where the supposed 80s turtles are more hive-minded and have behavioral traits more reminiscent of Yakko, Wako and Dot, than their actual personalities from the cartoon.
I think it was detrimental to being able to fully enjoy the TV movie although in terms of story the characterisation of the FW TMNT had no effect on anything. They could have easily swapped those TMNT for a random universe version we never saw before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That feeling you get where the people at that comic con were the only ones that got to see the full version of the movie. I don't know what they were thinking when they released the DVD. I've never seen a 'TV-edited' version of a movie bring released on home media, it's always meant to be the actual film.
The full version was available in the UK although I don't remember many rushing to import it for some weird reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I watched the OT Season 1 dvd and they’re exceptionally great for its time (I somehow couldn't watch the later seasons due to different tone and drop of animation quality).
But even compared to a random Season 5 Turtles Forever still makes them worse.

Quote:
The weirdest thing was the noogie bit. Once was fine, though still odd since I don't recall them ever doing it on their show, but they did it like 3 or so times that it felt like they were trying to say it was a staple of the 80s TMNT just as much as Cowabunga was. That was a very weird addition. Unless the Forever writers thought everyone was giving everyone noogies in the 80s or something.
I think maybe they got as far as giving each other group hugs or high fiving in the FW series? Noogies as you say I do not remember.

Quote:
And do '87 right. I'd love to see all their (various versions of Turtles) reactions to the 'Rise' bunch...
Yeah I mean the 2012 series took a crack at them and still made them come across as idiots who have apparently never used their weapons. It's a start but there's certainly room for improvement.

Last edited by pferreira; 07-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #25
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Still love this movie to this day. I remember being super hyped for it despite knowing the original voice cast wasn't going to be involved. I can understand why some were upset with how they treated the FW turtles but I don't think 4Kids meant to do it in a way to make them look lame in comparison. More so to differentiate the two groups of turtles, even if their comedic sides were focused on a bit too much.

Unpopular opinion, I felt that the last Nick/FW turtles crossover episode was no better if not worse at "respecting the FW turtles" than this was. It's one thing where they don't use their weapons but to actually learn how to fight? They may not be the best fighters but that's kinda stretching it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Still love this movie to this day. I remember being super hyped for it despite knowing the original voice cast wasn't going to be involved. I can understand why some were upset with how they treated the FW turtles but I don't think 4Kids meant to do it in a way to make them look lame in comparison. More so to differentiate the two groups of turtles, even if their comedic sides were focused on a bit too much.

Unpopular opinion, I felt that the last Nick/FW turtles crossover episode was no better if not worse at "respecting the FW turtles" than this was. It's one thing where they don't use their weapons but to actually learn how to fight? They may not be the best fighters but that's kinda stretching it.
The Fred Wolf turtles fight many of their silliest fights during seasons 3–5, sadly the same years as their popularity peaked.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #27
ABrown
Banned

Another year goes by, and again Nick's TMNT social media gets the anniversary date wrong: https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1149304204030332929
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
Overlord

2019 Sequel

For a long time, I thought we would get some kind of sequel in 2019.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Another year goes by, and again Nick's TMNT social media gets the anniversary date wrong: https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1149304204030332929
They've owned TMNT how long, so how many years to figure it out? I mean, god Nick, Wikipedia can probably tell you. lol

But then again, this is also a company did the birthday thing for Spongebob two and a half months late.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #30
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The Fred Wolf turtles fight many of their silliest fights during seasons 3–5, sadly the same years as their popularity peaked.
Also when a large chunk of the episodes aired.

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me how awful the FW TMNT was treated in that.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:57 AM   #31
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Also when a large chunk of the episodes aired.(
Yes. Between 1989–1991, everyone just asked for more. But the TMNT peaking in poplarity, there were also many complaining parents.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Yes. Between 1989–1991, everyone just asked for more. But the TMNT peaking in poplarity, there were also many complaining parents.
Amazing compared to what TMNT would come later for kids. The FW series in comparison has the violence of The A-Team and the tone or plots of the 60s Batman TV series.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

The TMNT being considered a bit too violent at the time for a kids cartoon says more about that time period than the FW series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #34
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The TMNT being considered a bit too violent at the time for a kids cartoon says more about that time period than the FW series.
Back in the 80s parents thoughts The A-Team was too violent. Dirk Benedict swears by it being a political move by the network to get them cancelled because of the violence.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:42 AM   #35
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
A different series, I know but still, I remember a tale of the guys behind He-Man having a hard time to not only get around limited animation but also ways to do fights in the show with so many judging adult eyes watching. There was a time they wanted He-Man to cut down a tree so it would take down some bad guys, but they had to skip it because the censors considered it too messed to have He-Man chop down a tree.

I'd imagine during the Fred Wolf storyboarding phase there has to be some sort of scene where, IDK, Mikey doing a spinkick to Shredder's face would have been considered too violent for the censors, so let's have him throw a pizza at him instead!

It still bugs me that during the Mona Lisa episode, Raph and Lisa spent most of it running away from the monsters without so much as trying to fight them first.

And don't get me started on when Raph stopped fighting altogether in later seasons and was reduced to just tossing his Sai all the time.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #36
Overlord

He-Man

Quote:
A different series, I know but still, I remember a tale of the guys behind He-Man having a hard time to not only get around limited animation but also ways to do fights in the show with so many judging adult eyes watching. There was a time they wanted He-Man to cut down a tree so it would take down some bad guys, but they had to skip it because the censors considered it too messed to have He-Man chop down a tree.
All I know is that He-Man in the 1983 cartoon was just allowed to throw living creatures into puddles or water and not use his sword against them

https://io9.gizmodo.com/12-insane-fa...uni-1619470015

https://www.thegamer.com/strange-thi...-didnt-notice/

https://nowiknow.com/the-sword-isnt-...hty-after-all/

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 08-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #37
sdp
Megan Fox = April

TF was such a bitter sweet moment for TMNT fans, there were no active projects, everything was ending and there seemed like nothing excited to look forward to, it felt like a final hoorah, for the franchise before it went sleeping for a long time.

Little did we know the viacom deal would happen not long after and while we did have to wait we knew stuff was actually being developped, now the viacom era might not be what most of us wanted, i was wary since the beginning but at the very least we knew something was coming back then. After TF it felt like nothing would come out for many many years.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #38
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
TF was such a bitter sweet moment for TMNT fans, there were no active projects, everything was ending and there seemed like nothing excited to look forward to, it felt like a final hoorah, for the franchise before it went sleeping for a long time.
Yes, many probably feared the same dark years as during the late 1990's and very early 2000's.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #39
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Quote:
I've hoped for years that the 10th anniversary of the movie would prompt Nickelodeon to give the movie a proper re-release. It would be a great opportunity to put out a blu-ray/dvd/digital combo pack (obviously with the movie in its ENTIRETY). Come on Nickelodeon, make it happen. I mean with Nickelodeon's obsession with the original cartoon, it doesn't seem like a far fetched idea.
Yeah, this needs to happen,as the movie was great (I still have my copy of it, believe it or not), and I watch it pretty often.

And it's been 10 years since it was first broadcast/released?
Wow.
Seems like only yesterday.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #40
Overlord

Rise of the TMNT

Quote:
I've hoped for years that the 10th anniversary of the movie would prompt Nickelodeon to give the movie a proper re-release. It would be a great opportunity to put out a blu-ray/dvd/digital combo pack (obviously with the movie in its ENTIRETY). Come on Nickelodeon, make it happen. I mean with Nickelodeon's obsession with the original cartoon, it doesn't seem like a far fetched idea.
It feels like Nickelodeon's obsession with the original cartoon has began to decline with Rise of the TMNT.