The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The Year, Game of: 2017

Well, it's that time again. With Xenoblade releasing today, almost all of the major releases for the year have come out.

Big year for Nintendo, eh? Switch came out in March with Zelda, and man, what a club banger that game is. It didn't stop there with a steady stream of first and third party releases, with **** like Odyssey. Good Lord, Odyssey is good.

Other good **** like Persona 5, Horizon, Nier: Automata, Sonic Mania, Injustice. Lots of good stuff this year. But for me, I think my favorite this year is Zelda.

What about you guys?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Breath Of The Wild, hands down. I was putting 13 hour runs into that bad boy. So good.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Horizon Zero Dawn, story is meh but if you want a game that makes you feel like a badass hunter then Zero Dawn is that game.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Breath of the Wild wins the award of Commercial of the Year. I haven't been able to get that song out of my head since it debuted during the last Superbowl:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Breath of the Wild wins the award of Commercial of the Year. I haven't been able to get that song out of my head since it debuted during the last Superbowl:
Imagine Dragons really struck a chord with that song. It's been used in A LOT of commercials and misc. montages and things.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:05 AM   #6
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Breath of the Wild, even though I haven't played it.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #7
Turo602
The King of Kings

Just recently started Super Mario Odyssey and I've sunken in some good hours already, and while it's amazing, I gotta give it to Breath of the Wild. While some aspects of the game may not be as strong or even as present as in other Zelda games, it's still by far one of the most captivating experiences I've ever had playing a video game. I spent over 200 hours in that game and I could still go back for more and not be bored by it.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

Odyssey, ya see
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Great games:
1. Persona 5
2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Assassin's Creed: Origins
6. Sonic Mania
7. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
8. Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9. Arms
10. Gravity Rush 2
11. Final Fantasy XV
12. Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 (Switch ver.)

Honourable mentions (because I haven't play them yet)
1. Mario + Rabbids
2. Nier: Automata
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Splatoon
5. The Evil Within 2
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
Peanut
Second Gear

I'm here! Let's rap! 2017 was a pretty big (and busy) year for me, I become a father in December of 2016, so I basically spent the year learning how to Daddy. For that reason, the Switch has been an absolute god send, its portable nature makes sneaking game time way easier than it otherwise would be. It also means I didn't play close to as many games this year as I used to, and if I bounced off a game, it probably meant I was never going back.

2017's 2016 GOTY this year for me was easily Dragonball Xenoverse 2, which I played a stupid amount of. It was just the right amount of engaging and brain numbing to really let me sort of zone out when I needed to. I also got down with Final Fantasy XV in 2017, which I really loved, warts and all.

Anyways, my favs this year...

5. Middle Earth: Shadow of War
So, I don't think very highly of this game, but I played a lot of it and it came out in 2017. A fun follow-up to a game I really loved, with way more issues. I didn't beat it, because the ending is some straight bullsh*t, but I enjoyed up for the majority of my time with it. I sort of begrudge it more than I should, because I could have spent my time with something better that didn't turn around and f*ck me in the end, but I still think it's alright.

4. Yakuza 0
Yakuza is great, 0 was more Yakuza, but somehow crazier. I didn't finish this game either, because I lost all my PS4 saves and I just don't have the time to play my way back to where I was, but I loved every minute I spent with it. One of those games I'd love to get back to at some point, when time permits.

3. Persona 5
Persona 4 is my favourite game of all-time. Persona 5 is not, but it's still very very good. The soundtrack is stellar, it is absolutely ROTTEN with style, the combat is the best it has ever been, and the music is some next level sh*t. I started playing this game while my daughter was a little lump in my arms and I played it for so long that I got my first laugh dancing her around to the results screen music. Makoto is no Chie, but she's my next choice.

2. Super Mario Odyssey
It's so fun to just MOVE in Odyssey. I think it has some weak points, a few underwhelming kingdoms and maybe a few too many moons, but I loved it from beginning to end. It has a level of polish and charm that feels like it was painstakingly crafted over the course of 10 years. In any other year I think Odyssey would have taken the crown for me, but 2017 is home to what is, SHOCKINGLY to me, one of my favourite games of all-time...

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I can't overstate how important the Switch was to me in 2017 and Zelda as this incredible, genre defining game...that I could play ANYWHERE was...special to me. I also can't overstate how TIRED I was of Zelda. Post Wind Waker, I've felt Zelda was in desperate need of a shake up, something I felt was done pretty well with ALBW, but then BotW came out and...f*ck me. There's not a ton to say about it that hasn't already been said a billion times at this point, but I absolutely loved everything about it. The discovery, the sense of place, the way every rock and tree and hill felt like it was placed in a way that encouraged me to shift my view slightly in a direction that led me to an interesting space, a beautiful view, or an important place was...unreal. It's absolute magic.

Shoutouts to Splatoon 2, Nier: Automata, Injustice 2, Digimon World: Next Order, and some stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting that I didn't get enough time with, but feel I'd probably love a ton.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Life is Strange: Before the Storm for me

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote