The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #21
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I like you!
I have never felt more appreciated in my life.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #22
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
I have never felt more appreciated in my life.
Stick with being positive and you'll go far.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #23
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Where does the Pantheon fit in all of this? Are they the ones who are manipulating the four factions?
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Nick and 2k3’s city at war were even more divergent than this. The basic idea is that there’s a bunch of conflicted factions.
That's why I'm so irritated by this. Every attempt to do this story again has been poor. And yes, IDW will absolutely win the silver medal with ease.

But... sigh. Oh well. I'm done complaining about it. I'll still enjoy the story.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Stick with being positive and you'll go far.
Wise words.

On the topic of the story, though, I bet one of the factions in the story will be Karai's side of the Foot Clan. Or maybe we should call it the Shredder's, depending on whether he's getting resurrected or not.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, I wish they wouldn't invite that comparison.
Took the words out of my mouth.

What made City at War special was the introspection and nihilism of all that kept the turtles together. It was made up of that special Mirage sauce. It’s more than just a three/four-way battle across New York rooftops.

This could be great, but just do your own thing because this type of comparison only invites disappointment.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #27
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

I'm excited for the story but not too keen on the title, as others have already stated.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
hypered1
Mad Scientist

In a way I feel like I may enjoy this more having not read the original 'City at War', and to be honest I thought IDW's City Fall was supposed to be the equivalent story arc.

Full disclosure, I've really only read the IDW ongoing continuity and few of the old UK Fleetway issues which I have come to learn are semi-based on the Fred Wolf cartoon and the Archie comics.

I have read the first couple of mirage issues but found the art style to be too messy for my tastes - same reason the IDW annuals are my least favourite issues of the their run - don't get me wrong, I have every respect for Messrs Eastman and Laird but I think I joined the party too late to properly appreciate the original work.

Last edited by hypered1; 10-11-2018 at 02:10 AM.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never got into City at War because Shredder was not involved just his absence being the cause of a gang war. I did enjoy the 2003 cartoon adaptation. It does not get much love in fandom, but its likely more appreciated by those like me who are not interested in the Mirage comics.

How long will this arc be and what will be the root cause? Sure, Shredder is absent, but the power vaccum is not neccessarily open right now. Karai returns and challenges Splinter? Will the Mutanimals fold under the Splinter lead foot clan or be their own faction? I can see Splinter reaching out to Hob. He has before, but would Hob work with Splinter if Splinter worked with Agent Bishop after what Agent Bishop did to Slash and the other Mutanimals?

That leaves two more factions, Null has opposed Agent Bishop as seen in the opening arc of TMNT Universe. That would be three. Earth Protection Force would make four. Stockman would likely be neutral like the Turtles and help them clean up what they cannot in public and it would likely help his push for the mayoral race. The Pantheon may take advantage of the aftermath so Kitsune or the siblings overall might be at the climax if at all. The Triceratons and Utroms will likely have a resolved storyline and be uninvolved. I dont see Chr'ell uniting the underworld as the new Shredder.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

At least we have some idea of what's going on.

For sure, it would be Karai Vs Splinter for control of the city. Karai has clearly given up any chance of leadership within the Foot. I think Bishop is going to be pretty beaten down from the EPF and would be trying to lay low. I actually wouldn't put it past Stockman putting his nose in things and trying to have some kind of control over the Foot. Considering Don's Future Vision of him as President with some Foot soldiers.

I think Null could be the fourth contender, since she has some stuff going on that's pretty big.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I never got into City at War because Shredder was not involved just his absence being the cause of a gang war. I
Shredder not being there/dead is why the City at War arc worked, it was what it was all about. The different factions of Foot all fighting each other for control of NYC. I don't understand how you can have a problem with that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #32
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Shredder not being there/dead is why the City at War arc worked, it was what it was all about. The different factions of Foot all fighting each other for control of NYC. I don't understand how you can have a problem with that.
I did state Shredder leaving a void in the underworld was the cause. I did not say I had a problem with it. It just does not interest me. I would rather see whst we got in the 2003 cartoon or villains like Rat King or Krang or whoever vying for power in whatevwr iteration.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #33
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That's kind of been a very established thing?

It's probably not going to be Shredder returning as himself, given the Dragon Lord plot.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

One of the great things about City at War is that although the Shredder is not physically there, his presence looms large over the story.
The turtles are left almost worse-off without him and can't seem to find direction in life, without the lust for revenge against The Shredder, that united them.

Plus you still get to see the stylish armor when Karai impersonates him.

Ah, such a great TMNT story.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #35
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
In a way I feel like I may enjoy this more having not read the original 'City at War', and to be honest I thought IDW's City Fall was supposed to be the equivalent story arc.

Full disclosure, I've really only read the IDW ongoing continuity and few of the old UK Fleetway issues which I have come to learn are semi-based on the Fred Ward cartoon and the Archie comics.

I have read the first couple of mirage issues but found the art style to be too messy for my tastes - same reason the IDW annuals are my least favourite issues of the their run - don't get me wrong, I have every respect for Messrs Eastman and Laird but I think I joined the party too late to properly appreciate the original work.
You should try and read more. The Mirage art evolved a lot and also had many guests artists. The first couple issues don't reflect the series as a whole. Plus, as jarring as the art may be, the stories told are really worth a shot.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #36
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Wow, this is really exciting. Do we know who the artist will be?

It will be extremely hard to compete with the Mirage version. The 2003 version butchered it, and I didn't watch the Nick version. I think IDW will probably have great character development (they always do), but it won't be able to compete with the sheer bleakness and depressing-ness of Mirage, which is what I loved about it.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #37
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I never got into City at War because Shredder was not involved just his absence being the cause of a gang war. I did enjoy the 2003 cartoon adaptation. It does not get much love in fandom, but its likely more appreciated by those like me who are not interested in the Mirage comics.

How long will this arc be and what will be the root cause? Sure, Shredder is absent, but the power vaccum is not neccessarily open right now. Karai returns and challenges Splinter? Will the Mutanimals fold under the Splinter lead foot clan or be their own faction? I can see Splinter reaching out to Hob. He has before, but would Hob work with Splinter if Splinter worked with Agent Bishop after what Agent Bishop did to Slash and the other Mutanimals?

That leaves two more factions, Null has opposed Agent Bishop as seen in the opening arc of TMNT Universe. That would be three. Earth Protection Force would make four. Stockman would likely be neutral like the Turtles and help them clean up what they cannot in public and it would likely help his push for the mayoral race. The Pantheon may take advantage of the aftermath so Kitsune or the siblings overall might be at the climax if at all. The Triceratons and Utroms will likely have a resolved storyline and be uninvolved. I dont see Chr'ell uniting the underworld as the new Shredder.
I am with you. I read the "City at War" arc done by Mirage and thought it was overrated. I thought the side story with Casey was more entertaining. I don't know why bc that story wasn't that exciting at all...... I am pretty sure you and I are outliers among the fandoms in regards to the "City of War" arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
https://media.giphy.com/media/OCu7zWojqFA1W/giphy.gif

At least we have some idea of what's going on.

For sure, it would be Karai Vs Splinter for control of the city. Karai has clearly given up any chance of leadership within the Foot. I think Bishop is going to be pretty beaten down from the EPF and would be trying to lay low. I actually wouldn't put it past Stockman putting his nose in things and trying to have some kind of control over the Foot. Considering Don's Future Vision of him as President with some Foot soldiers.

I think Null could be the fourth contender, since she has some stuff going on that's pretty big.
That is really good point. wow I am shocked you can remember something like that.... sounds like I need to start rereading the IDW series.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #38
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's fairly recent stuff.

Karai's Path was just all about Karai coming to terms with not needing no Foot Clan and that if she wants to do things her way, be respected, and be in charge, then she needs to just...do that. Maybe even "fix" the mistake she made of reviving the Foot in the first place by eliminating them for good (and not them sink back into being a law firm)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, but IDW still shouldn't be copying the title. City at War wasn't just about a bunch of factions fighting for control of NYC, it was about moral uncertainty, a loss of direction, and a shattered family. About a cycle of violence.

IDW should pick a different title. This is like me using "A Catcher in the Rye" for my novel. Why invite such comparison to such a vaulted classic? There's no way I can live up to that.
It is possible, but wildly unlikely. My thing is... why invite that comparison at all? Because it's going to come now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Nick and 2k3’s city at war were even more divergent than this. The basic idea is that there’s a bunch of conflicted factions.
On the surface level. "Things fighting each other blah blah." But it's also about Splinter eating rats to survive, Casey learning to be a good man and a father after killing someone out of spite, the Turtles learning to move on after reconciling being bred into killing machines.

None of this lends itself to an IDW adaptation.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #40
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
On the surface level. "Things fighting each other blah blah." But it's also about Splinter eating rats to survive, Casey learning to be a good man and a father after killing someone out of spite, the Turtles learning to move on after reconciling being bred into killing machines.
I don't know about rats, but I expect Splinter will be eating a crow or two. Does that work for you?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote